Russian roulette

Sep 10, 2017
What is the most practical russian roulette routine out there?
I am looking for something not heavily gimmicked an more of a close up effect not a stage one.

obrienmagic

Elite Member
Nov 4, 2014
Orange County, Ca
www.obrienmagic.com
https://www.murphysmagic.com/product.aspx?id=58141

This one involves some set up but is the best closeup version if the trick i have seen so far.
If ks called “white russian” this link is to the live lecture to learn it. Ill try and find the performance

Cannot find the performance anywhere right now, but essentially the way it goes is you pour yourself 4 shots (3 are water and 1 is with some sort of deadly poison.) you have a spectator mix them and you dribk 3 shots. The 4th is then revealed to be the poison which is poured into a glass of nails and starts desolving rhem.

It does require setup but nothing crazy. Completely safe and has some cool convincers in there. They even drop the chemical on a balloon which pops it to show it is real. Its really well thought out.

Reactions: CWhite and Mr_ARPY
Sep 10, 2017
Cannot find the performance anywhere right now, but essentially the way it goes is you pour yourself 4 shots (3 are water and 1 is with some sort of deadly poison.) you have a spectator mix them and you dribk 3 shots. The 4th is then revealed to be the poison which is poured into a glass of nails and starts desolving rhem.

It does require setup but nothing crazy. Completely safe and has some cool convincers in there. They even drop the chemical on a balloon which pops it to show it is real. Its really well thought out.
Thank you so much. I will check it out.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
"Russian Roulette", "Smash and Stab", or "Poison test"? All are similar plots.

Russian Roulette involves some kind of gun. Smash and Stab involves some kind of hidden spike. Poison Test involves some kind of hidden poison (Acid Test is a variation thereof).

I've done a really fun Acid Test before which I just made up. Probably extremely similar to this White Russian routine posted above - except I think theirs will probably be far more developed than mine was.

Also, what do you mean by "close up"? Are you talking strolling, or just a performance where you're near your audience?

I use a variation of Nailed It! by Scott Alexander. I do this for parlor shows. Depending on what you need, you could use this or his Shattered product. Both are technically Smash and Stabs.

Dee Christopher has one called Rush which uses lighters and is intended for strolling/close up performance.

The important thing to remember here is that you must have a presentation which the audience cares about. If you don't, the "danger" won't matter.

Reactions: Mr_ARPY
Sep 10, 2017
"Russian Roulette", "Smash and Stab", or "Poison test"? All are similar plots.

Russian Roulette involves some kind of gun. Smash and Stab involves some kind of hidden spike. Poison Test involves some kind of hidden poison (Acid Test is a variation thereof).

I've done a really fun Acid Test before which I just made up. Probably extremely similar to this White Russian routine posted above - except I think theirs will probably be far more developed than mine was.

Also, what do you mean by "close up"? Are you talking strolling, or just a performance where you're near your audience?

I use a variation of Nailed It! by Scott Alexander. I do this for parlor shows. Depending on what you need, you could use this or his Shattered product. Both are technically Smash and Stabs.

Dee Christopher has one called Rush which uses lighters and is intended for strolling/close up performance.

The important thing to remember here is that you must have a presentation which the audience cares about. If you don't, the "danger" won't matter.
Thanks for your answer. When I say close up, I basically mean not for stage. For example most of the spiked routines would be better on a stage and not as effective when you are performing for a bunch of friends and stuff.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Unless you're performing for friends around a table.

So what you're looking for is ... something more or less impromptu for strolling situations?

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Alain Nu teaches a routine with playing cards in The Nu Collection on Penguin. It's a little too procedural for my tastes but it is Russain Roulette themed, and impromptu other than needing a deck of cards.

Instinct could work in a party situation with little prep. You'd just need something to represent danger and some way to keep it in the cup. I advise caution here, though, as this is one that can go wrong.

Every other one I know of involves having things set up ahead of time. Dee Christopher's is pretty portable but you do have to have identical lighters for it to make any sense.

I mean, at its essence Russian Roulette, Smash and Stab, and Poison/Acid Tests are just the performer locating an object. There's a lot of ways to do that - some are even genuine (CMR).

What do you want it to look like? What do you want the audience to experience?

Mar 4, 2018
I have used Nailed It by Scott Alexander to great success and swear by it as the most safe and best method of smash and stab. The only reason I retired it is because I came up with my own version that allows things to be examinable.

As for a close up situation, I use Cookie Cutter by Dan Sperry which you can learn right here on Theory11 if you wish. It doesn't use any gimmicks and can be set up on the spot. I swear by Cookie Cutter as well and have used it at several close up gigs.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results