Rules for Crediting

Jun 21, 2016
I’m just curious about crediting in the creation of magic. I see many effects sell that use moves that have been used in the past. I perform an effect which has a presentation that I imagine is unique, but it uses a move that can be learned from other sources. In this instance, what’s the protocol for being allowed to sell this, mainly for the presentational value?

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
You need to see if anyone else has already published the move, or if it's public domain.

For something like a generic double lift - no crediting needed. If you want to teach the Diving Board Double, though, you have to get permission from Lee Asher (I believe).

Basically make sure you're not attempting to sell something that is someone else's work without their express permission.

Jun 21, 2016
Okay great. I just got off the phone with Bill Malone, believe it or not, and he told me who I would need to credit. What does that mean if the person has passed away?

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
You have to figure out if someone else has the rights to their published work and ask them. If no one holds the rights, then I think it's fair game as long as you give proper crediting. Though if it's not been published for very long I would probably not personally go that route, simply out of respect for the creator.

CWhite

Elite Member
Jul 22, 2016
Good lord, if you had them as contact's why waste your time asking the people here?
No offense to the amazing people here..

Jun 21, 2016
How can we know if we want to collaborate if we have no idea what it is?
It is a fun, sucker type trick in which you cause the spectator to reveal the secret, prove that they’re right, and then hit them with a kicker ending where two of the cards they just saw change into different cards. Collaboration would only improve the effect, and getting other people to try it out on spectators will only make it more and more performance-ready before it’s produced.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results