Who is the most prolific magic creator?

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
I want to know who you think is or was the most prolific magic creator of all time.

I have thought about this a lot and my mind has changed many times, but at this point I believe Dan Harlan is the most prolific magic creator of all time. He's a part of a very short list with Ed Marlo, Jim Steinmeyer,a Houdini and maybe a small handful of others.

He taught Copperfield the thumbs up trick.

His effects Hovercard, Cardtoon are two of the most pirated tricks of all time.

He created the Impromptu Linking Rubber Bands. It's one of those tricks everyone just assumes was a classic.

His effect Crazy Cash is perhaps the best mismade bill available and the method had been reworked and re-released by many magicians.

His effect Starcle is a truly beautiful piece of magic.

What stands out to me is that each of these pieces are completely different and they are all classics. It's also difficult to see where they came from. What other magic trick out there is like Starcle? What magic trick out there is like Card Toon? That kind of strange on their own.

And the methods. They are new too. It blows my mind! He's a loving legends in my book.

Reactions: Antonio Diavolo

ID4

Aug 20, 2010
I want to know who you think is or was the most prolific magic creator of all time.

I have thought about this a lot and my mind has changed many times, but at this point I believe Dan Harlan is the most prolific magic creator of all time. He's a part of a very short list with Ed Marlo, Jim Steinmeyer,a Houdini and maybe a small handful of others.

Dan Harlan's probably the 3rd most prolific creator.

What about Jay Sankey? He's created a ton of tricks.

Jay Sankey claims to have the world record for most effects created. But if Jay Sankey's wrong, it would be Max Maven or Phil Goldstein.

Reactions: EndersGame

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
Jay Sankey claims to have the world record for most effects created. But if Jay Sankey's wrong, it would be Max Maven or Phil Goldstein.

They are both totally on the list as well!

I think Max Maven's most popular effects might be B'wave, and Kurotsuke. I could probably do more research into this. I think Dan has at least 3 effects that are as popular as B'wave the thumbs up trick, linking rubber bands, and Cardtoon. He has more of course but I can't think of too many that are performed by as many magicians as those two.

Jay is amazing as well. Holy Moley, In a Flash, Stirring Silver, Airtight, and his effect with the bill and the four holes are all classics. The list goes on of course! But, when I look at the amount of his material that random magicians do I think Dan Harlan still is in the lead.

I think that if you watched 100 magicians shows at least 85 of them would do a trick by, or popularized, by Dan in the show. I think with Jay Sankey or Max Maven you'd get somewhere around 10 magicians performing their material.

Jun 23, 2019
Karl Fulves has written the most books, booklets, manuscripts, and magazines regarding magic.

Karl Fulves has probably created the most magic tricks.

2nd? - Probably Max Maven or Stewart James.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results