Exposure : Why

Dec 22, 2007
Why do people pay great amounts of money for an effect then make a free tutorial or explantion on the internet so everyone can learn it. :confused:

Oct 12, 2007
Orlando Fl
This is not all of the time, but sometimes the people who make the tut don't buy it, they figure it out.

But I don't get it why people make them, magic isn't a cheap hobby, and they are wadting the money without even improving on their hobby, the people who post tuts, and performances fior the camera are usually, no offense, but they're usually losers who don't, for whatever reason perform for real people.

Sep 2, 2007
Many of them think they're helping the magic community by putting effects in the hands of people who can't afford to buy them. Unfortunately, in most cases all they're doing is providing incomplete, incorrect, and poorly made explanations and performances, not to mention stealing money out of the magicians' pockets and food from their children's mouths.

Dec 22, 2007
i think the reason people reveal magic is because they only know a few tricks and if they make tutorials then people will think ohh wow he knows this trick he's got to be good. and i think its dum and everyone should stop magic tutorials

Or maybe they like controversy and to make you guys crazy, anyhow I think the tutorials are made from immaturity and lack of experience as a real working magician. If you don't have the money to buy one trick for $30 go to the library and rent a book for free and use the head god gave you to read.

Sep 2, 2007
Houston, TX
well i think it should not be done, but its not the lay people im worried about seeing the vids, its other magicians. i mean seriously, how many laypeopl who have never seen someone do magic are going to actually say hmmm i wonder if i can find a tutorial for a magic trick. now other magicians like i said is what bothers me. before the christmas break, i did a trick called sharky to some friends. its prety much a signed card, color change, and transposition all in one trick. an onlooker was another "magician" and after the performance, he bugged me to tell him how. i did not. today was my first day back to school and i saw him. he said to me, dude please tell me the trick, i couldnt find a tutorial for it on the computer!! i still have not told him

Oct 21, 2007
www.hi5.com
All those tutorials suck. Lets say if you found a tutorial of a trick on E, or here. 90% of the time the person who is teaching it is about 8 to 10 years old, and can't actually perform the effect himself, and if you watch it you wouldn't be able to perform it either, with all those bad explanations.

Look, I hate tutorials too, what actual magician doesn't, but saying TUTORIALS SUCK, is not a good enough arguement, why do they suck?

Well, they suck because there are real magicians out there are spending alot of money to learn these tricks, but by doing so, they are also suporting the art of magic and as welll helping the creator pay there bills..

These tutorials are :

a) taking away money from the creator's.
b) Is not supporting the art of magic
c) And is completly un ethical.

I just want to say, I am all against magic exposure, but seeing responses like "TUTORIALS SUCK" makes me feel that they are just jumping on the band wagon, they have no actual idea why tutorials are bad.

I AM NOT SAYING THAT THIS APPLIES TO EVERYONE.

Nov 28, 2007
D.C. Area
okay i watched alota videos on why it is bad, and i agree with the reasons, but can we magicians, watch a tutorial, make it better, by making it our style and putting lots of showmanship into the trick, perform it and re-teach our way of doing it?

Well, the people who actually watch the tutorials, are going to perform HORRIBLEY. People who make the tutorials usually have little experience with magic and think they will be an "internet pheonomenon" but sadly, they won't. They just do it because they think their cool doing it. For those out there that actually "learn" from these tutorials, good luck.

Or maybe they like controversy and to make you guys crazy, anyhow I think the tutorials are made from immaturity and lack of experience as a real working magician. If you don't have the money to buy one trick for $30 go to the library and rent a book for free and use the head god gave you to read.

SMARTEST thing written yet.

I mean 'cmon' guys...do you really think the "no money" act is going to hold up... BUY Mark Wilson's Complete Course in magic for 15 bucks, it'll last you YEARS, and I'm sure you can afford a 15 dollar book. If you can't, for goodness sake's borrow one from a library like said above...

'Common sense stopped being common a long time ago'

~David Rysin

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results