Illusionist vs Magic

Oct 17, 2007
Aussie NSW
my guess would be a magician is a person who does
card tricks and like not very public like perfomances like an illusionist is like
levitation and sawing people in half

- ma·gi·cian [muh-jish-uhn]
- noun
1. an entertainer who is skilled in producing illusion by sleight of hand, deceptive devices, etc.; conjurer.
2. a person who is skilled in magic; sorcerer.

- il·lu·sion·ist [i-loo-zhuh-nist]
- noun
1. a conjurer or magician who creates illusions, as by sleight of hand.
2. an adherent of illusionism.

They're basically the same thing. :)

Anthony Bass

Wow guys (not all of you, but some)....Please, before answering a question, do some research.

In some dictionaries, the definition is the same, in others it is different. However the connotation of the word is what is important.

When a person hears the word illusionist, the most common thing that is thought of is Copperfield, grand stages, sawing people in a half, and "Grand Illusion", however the word "magician" usually carries a general connotation used interchangeably with words/phrases such as "sleight of hand artist", "manipulator", "close-up artist", and "Illusionist" itself.

You see, the denotation of a word can be different than its connotation... This is particularly true with the above.

Have fun with magic my "brotha" :),
~David Rysin

Sep 1, 2007
San Diego
Wow guys (not all of you, but some)....Please, before answering a question, do some research.

In some dictionaries, the definition is the same, in others it is different. However the connotation of the word is what is important.

When a person hears the word illusionist, the most common thing that is thought of is Copperfield, grand stages, sawing people in a half, and "Grand Illusion", however the word "magician" usually carries a general connotation used interchangeably with words/phrases such as "sleight of hand artist", "manipulator", "close-up artist", and "Illusionist" itself.

You see, the denotation of a word can be different than its connotation... This is particularly true with the above.

Have fun with magic my "brotha" :),
~David Rysin

THANK YOU
thats my answer for whoever asked it

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results