Card College: A story and definitive review

Jan 26, 2008
Hey everyone! My name is Brendan Spence. I'm 21 years old, and I've only been a magician for about eight months. This is my first post here on the T11 forums. I generally don't do a lot of posts on forums in general (a habit I am trying to break), but I feel that this review simply must be read by everyone. You'll understand me in due time. Forget who I am for the moment, I will introduce myself in the forums later. Just listen to my story.

In my card studies over the past few months I have stumbled across a veritable treasure trove of card magic. You all know it by name, whether in passing or as intimately as a forbidden lover. These hallowed texts are held in the highest reverence in the magic world, its sacred contents considered the quintessential dogma of card workers and their creed. Its name, by those who know its power, is spoken only in hushed tones, partly out of fear, but mostly out of respect.

I am, of course, talking about only one thing:

The Card College Series.

.. what, you thought I was gonna say Royal Road to Card Magic? Think again, and allow me to spin you a tale of fantasy and wonder, of trials and tribulations. Let me tell you about my journeys with Card College.

It all began with a Christmas morning, not too unlike any other Christmas morning. The white sheen of the fresh snow, the glittering of the Christmas tree in the early morning dusk, and, of course, hushed whispers and the sounds of tearing paper. My sisters and I had begun Operation Early Gift, a customary tradition in our family, and the clock had barely stuck 6:00 before we had already opened the vast majority of our presents. We may have been a bit old for the traditions of Santa (I being 21, my sisters being 16), but the whole thrill of waking up super early to see our gifts waiting vulnerably under the tree elicited a child-like joy in us. Like excited six-year-olds, we would try to unwrap the gifts as quickly and as quietly as possible, as if our parents DIDN’T know of our yearly living room espionage. And this year was quite a haul.

In a flurry of wrapping paper, I had unearthed a veritable treasure trove of magical goods. Funny T-shirts, cards upon cards, and a generous amount of DVDs were spread out across the floor in an impressive display. Being a magician of only eight months, these gifts represented a whole new world of advancement to me. I stared at my haul, barely able to take it all in. This was weeks, if not months of material. Eagerly, I snatched up the goods and ran back to my room, warming up the DVD player and ripping open a brand new deck of Ghosts. I locked the door and leaned close to the TV, like some sort of depraved drug addict getting a long-needed fix.

Just as my fingertips became lost in the sinewy smooth world of the Ghosts, there was a loud rapping at the door. I jumped up out of my seat, turning the TV off in a frantic pace, the Ghosts being quickly hidden in my side pocket. I leered at the door.

“Who is it!?” I whispered frantically, pressing my ear up against the door’s heavy wooden frame.

“It’s your sister,” a timid voice replied. “You forgot a present in the corner by the tree. It’s kinda big.”

My eyes bugged out, my hands swinging the door open before she could even finish her sentence. What I saw was a bit of a shock.

In my sister’s arms was a HUGE present, tall and thick, with awkward indentations and taping patterns in the sides of the wrapping paper indicating that it, in fact, was not one large box, but was instead several items haphazardly stacked and wrapped together. I took the parcel in my arms with a shocked expression. As my fingers traced the sides of the presents, I could feel the tell-tale give in the wrapping paper—these were books.

At first, I was disappointed. Being rather young and relatively new to the world of magic, I suffered the handicap of downright despising learning magic from books. I had once tried to thumb through classics like Expert at the Card Table and Bobo’s Modern Coin Magic only to find myself being put off by how old the books seemed, as well as the expansive and overwhelming amount of text over every single move. Add that to the slew of other, less than stellar magic books that plague the shelves of any magic section at Borders, and you could see why I had such a bias. You might even say I thought videos were the only way to go.

This initial disappointment, however, quickly faded. A glance to the gift tag told me that this present was either from a man who was recovering from a mild stroke, or my uncle. This was a man who, although he knew I was a fledgling magician, had an unusual knack for getting me the opposite of what I usually wanted. Thus, maybe these books weren’t magic related at all! Maybe they were a bunch of good novels, or some journals to write in or something. Still not great, but hey, you can’t win them all. My fingers began to peel, rip, and tear at the skin of the carefully prepared package.

And I found all five volumes of the Card College series staring back up at me. A note was taped haphazardly on the front of it, in equally abysmal handwriting. It read (to the best of my knowledge): “Brendan, a majishian told me to get you these. Hope you like them, and Menny Chrestmas!” Following it was a nigh incomprehensible signature. My disappointment surged like bile in my throat, but I bit it back with a large swallow, determined to make the best of this gracious gift. I thumbed through the first volume for about ten minutes, reading through the chapter on the overhand shuffle and likewise controls for it. This was something I actually was still particularly bad at, so I quickly became frustrated. I was slightly impressed at the detail that went into such a simple sleight, but I was going nowhere fast. A quick flip through the book gave me the impression that the rest of it was likewise all extremely simple sleights told in excruciating detail, as well as a few very simple, boring tricks. With the grace of an arrogant imbecile, I felt this book was far too simple for me, that my card magic was far beyond all this beginner’s stuff. I sighed, tossing the tomes on my bookshelf, promising myself I’d look over them later. After all, I had heard many in the E forums say that they heard they were good books. I turned to my TV and continued my magical education.

(Continued below)

Jan 26, 2008
And there the books stayed until just a few weeks ago when, after mastering most of the techniques in a vast majority of my DVDs, I was starved for new tricks and sleights. I had exhausted all my available resources, and was desperate for anything to learn some new, hard hitting (particularly impromptu) card magic from. Plus, I was really bored. Thus, there I was, sitting on my computer, chatting to my magic buddies, bored and utterly frustrated at my magic standstill. It was then that I, almost as if some unconscious force were willing me to do so, approached my dusty bookshelf and grabbed the first volume of Card College, determined to read the heck out of the whole thing.

After about an hour or two of reading and practicing, it was as if a veil had been lifted from my eyes. By the end of that week, I had read through the first two volumes, and with them I had learned more hard-hitting effects, skills, and sleights than I possibly ever could from a veritable cornucopia of DVDs! And this was only halfway through the series! I feel like a fool for ever doubting such a powerful set of books, and after learning of what priceless knowledge they contain, you just might feel the same.

As we all know, a book is only as valuable as the information it contains, and with Card College, you may as well be walking around with solid gold blocks in your hands. The books themselves contain a WORLD of sleights, from everything as simple as a dealer’s grip to knuckle busting flourishes, passes, and false displays. Words can scarcely describe the meticulous, almost obsessive detail Giobbi put into every single page. Every sleight is broken down so fully and completely that it is almost impossible to miss anything. Every finger position is noted, every nuance of the hands described in full. On top of that, these wondrous descriptions are further aided every step of the way by simple, clear cut illustrations. Having trouble? No problem, because at the end of every sleight Giobbi reviews the entire affair in a series of carefully selected checkpoints, leaving no problem unsolved, no stone unturned. It truly is a step-by-step instruction of nearly every one of the best sleights in the world, making it a treasure trove for magicians of all ages and levels.

And if detail were one thing, that is NOTHING to say of the blissfully perfect organization of the texts. In them, Giobbi organizes each chapter by type, difficulty, and essentiality of sleight in increasing ranking order. In this manner, he also breaks down specific sleights into parts, leaving more difficult moves until after the reader has learned easier, more essential moves and thus become more dexterous with a deck. With this genius progression, one could start the series as a complete, bumbling, butterfingered lummox and end the series as a seasoned, sexy master.

He further adds to this brilliance by ending every chapter with a couple or more tricks that deal primarily with the sleights just taught, but may also involve sleights taught in previous chapters, thus encouraging them to cement even more in the reader’s mind. There are even entire chapters devoted to tricks in the final volume! When I first flipped through the series, I was very much disappointed with the tricks that I had read, thinking they were far too simple and overdone. This was only because I was flipping through the first few CHAPTERS of the series. Thus, the tricks I read were all very dependant on a very minimal amount of sleights. Had I looked at the tricks near the end or middle of the first volume, I would have been surprised to find incredible hard-hitting magic. And I was. Not only are the tricks paired with wonderful descriptions and enthralling presentations but they are hard-hitting, impromptu, and, above all, SIMPLE. Don't be put off by how simple they are. As magicians, we must all remember this age old mantra: Simple hits hard. Never has this mantra been so perfectly personified than within this series. Many of the tricks from Card College have become staple parts of my routine, and have considerably added to my reputation as a card worker. All of the tricks are sure to be a welcome part to any magician’s routine. Also, with the simplicity of these effects, it encourages budding magicians to take their own route and try to invent their own tricks.

And, as if this weren’t enough, Giobbi further gobsmacks us with chapters devoted entirely to not sleights, not tricks, but theory. Giobbi’s chapters on the theories and structures of magic (found in Volume 2 and 4, respectively) are filled with perhaps the most valuable information the entire series can offer. It covers EVERYTHING from genius outs to psychology to misdirection to-- I can’t even begin to capitulate the sparkling diamonds these chapters are. They are so chock full of information, I can barely begin to describe them. I feel they are worth the entire series alone, if not those respective volumes! On top of that, Giobbi’s rich and entertaining writing style makes these chapters an absolute joy to read. He is downright scholarly in his approach to what he feels is one of the greatest arts in the entire world. You can practically feel his adoration of magic pouring out from the pages, and the fact that he is willing to share this with us only further pulls us into the art ourselves. The introductions to each of the volumes is, likewise, expertly written and deliciously crafted, spoken with the wisdom of a Zen scholar (which he is, by the by). Never could our art have such a talented individual.

After searching through the forums, I’ve found that many people were a lot like me: that they’ve HEARD Card College is good, but have never had the opportunity (or perhaps desire) to read it. Having read nearly all the series, it saddens me to see this, as I feel that Card College is an essential to anyone’s magical education. Look at it this way:

If Card Conjuring were a college major, I can guarantee that the Card College series would be the textbooks you’d be buying for the required classes. The way in which the books are crafted, organized, and presented (not to mention priced) rivals that of any college textbook. Maybe that’s why he called it Card College, eh?

All in all, the information in these books is so priceless and so incredibly wonderful, that I can’t imagine anyone being able to do without it! This series is a must-have. It should be a REQUIREMENT for any aspiring card magician. If you’re not adding this series (or at least Volumes 1 and 2) to your cart right now, what are you waiting for!? It doesn’t matter if you’re a beginner or an expert, a staunch DVD enthusiast or an old school book-only learner; Card College has something for everyone. These are the bibles of magic. They may be pricey, but they are worth every penny. Don’t wait. Get them NOW.

Sincerely,
Brendan James Magnus Spence

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 1, 2007
Los Angeles, California
i have cad colledge as well, and i havent read it! i should get reading right now!

You haven't read it yet? You have probably one of the best series of book in card magic in your possession and have not read it? Man you are ungrateful, there are plenty of other people who are dieing for these books that can not afford them and you just don't read them?
Our youth today...

Oct 12, 2007
Orlando Fl
You haven't read it yet? You have probably one of the best series of book in card magic in your possession and have not read it? Man you are ungrateful, there are plenty of other people who are dieing for these books that can not afford them and you just don't read them?
Our youth today...

Lol, I'm used to be one of those who'd die for the series, but I never got the chance, it's pretty expensive, but now, I'm thinking of branching out into magic in general because cards aren't everything!

Thanks for the review, I'll probably get them, but not soon, later, as I said earlier I want to try out other genres of magic!

Sep 1, 2007
Los Angeles, California
Lol, I'm used to be one of those who'd die for the series, but I never got the chance, it's pretty expensive, but now, I'm thinking of branching out into magic in general because cards aren't everything!

Thanks for the review, I'll probably get them, but not soon, later, as I said earlier I want to try out other genres of magic!

That is good.
But if you want to get serious with card magic, Card College is the way to go.

Lots of people are saying Royal Road or Expert at the Card table is the best/good way to go when you start out, they probably haven't seen Card College when it has HUNDREDS of card sleights known to man EVEN some old flourishes. It's the best book to start out with on the market.

Jan 4, 2008
Norfolk, Virginia
nice

I don't think that anyone will ever write another review on this series that was one of the best reviews I have ever read about anything. If I see you on another review I will absolutly be reading it too. Thanks for your very well laid out review and dedication to getting your opinions across in such a fantastic nature.

Jan 26, 2008
I don't think that anyone will ever write another review on this series that was one of the best reviews I have ever read about anything. If I see you on another review I will absolutly be reading it too. Thanks for your very well laid out review and dedication to getting your opinions across in such a fantastic nature.

Thank you so much! This is the first review I've ever written, and I personally thought it was kinda lacking, so this makes me feel a lot better. Thank you so very, very much for your kind words. I don't deserve them.

Sincerely,
Brendan J. Spence

Sep 2, 2007
I just bought the "Control "DVD and was thinking of getting the paper engine by aaron fisher.

But now...

How much exactly is one of the books?

Jan 26, 2008
As Eddie said, yeah, the prices per volume seem to go around 35 bucks each. Buy the first volume, at least. As Giobbi himself says in the book's intro:

"If you master the techniques and tricks in this course, you will be more capable than ninety percent of all magicians who do card magic."

Volume One is pretty much all the basic, most essential moves any card magician can't do without. Trust me, after reading the first volume and really getting the tricks and card controls down, your brain will be a stew of ideas and creativity. You will have the ability to, more or less, have a spectator select any card and either A: Know exactly what it is at all times or B: Be able to absolutely and assuredly control it anywhere you want. Just think of the trick possibilities with that. It's all limited to your imagination, man. And that's precisely the point of this series: to give you the tools you need to create your own unique, personal, and powerful magic.

Volume 1 is a gimme. Once you really learn to tap its power, you'll fall in love with the series just like I did.

However, I must add, it takes dedication. It takes practice. I'll be outlining my learning procedures with the series later in this thread, but for now, just go out and get as many volumes as you can. Volume one, at LEAST. If you can afford it, I demand you also get volume two. It's basically a direct continuation of the first book (as when Giobbi originally wrote this series, he had no idea idea he would be writing three more volumes), and the chapters on magical theory, outs, routines, and tons of other wonderful stuff is absolutely PRICELESS. Worth the entire series ALONE, as I said.

Get it now.

- Brendan.

College - "An institute of HIGHER learning, a TECHNICAL or PROFESSIONAL school that grant's the bachelor's degree". This 5 volume series by Roberto Giobbi is by far the quintessential element of card SOH in this millenium. Anyone who has access to these books is set for a lifetime of reference and study. Anyone who receives a Christmas gift of all 5 volumes is indeed very loved and lucky! Halo rien is correct when he says "All in all, the information in these books is so priceless and so incredibly wonderful, that I can’t imagine anyone being able to do without it! This series is a must-have. It should be a REQUIREMENT for any aspiring card magician".
Back in '04 when I visited a brick and mortar magic shop and asked the resident magician what card books would he recommend, he replied without a stutter..."Card College". So I bought them as a set and got a deal that day. I received a 20% discount but, it wasn't the fact I got a good deal and saved some bank; it was the fact that it was the best deal and investment that I've made since. Four years later, I am still learning and finding knowledge.
Kudos to those lucky individuals who have this series of books. As many have said: If you take Card SOH seriously then you already have C.C. If you don't have it you don't take Card SOH seriously.
BTW nice review Halo rien! Enjoy!
Dom

Jan 26, 2008
Seeing as how recently I've met a lot more younger magicians who are not at ALL interested in the classic texts, I felt it imperative to give this review a little bump to the top again.

If you're already reading this, then good! Go pick up Card College.

Sep 1, 2007
Beirut Lebanon
I was once talking to Ineski online, and i was aksing for good sources of magic SLEIGHTS. Even though i owned many things, i still wanted to own more for extra reading. On the course of the chat i told him that it took me a whole month to read Card College Vol 1.

Guess what he told me?

He told me that i was a fast learner. He also told me that the Art of Astonishment series has been keeping him busy for 4 years and he still hasnt unlocked all of its secrets.

When you get something as good as card college or royal road to card magic, its as if you received crude oil. You can make it into many things. Learn the sleights, and then the effects. Customize them. Add something. Make routines.

So basically such rich resources shouldnt be taken as a read and forget. Keep on reading them over and over again, and you will learn something extra time by time.

Hey everyone! My name is Brendan Spence. I'm 21 years old, and I've only been a magician for about eight months. This is my first post here on the T11 forums. I generally don't do a lot of posts on forums in general (a habit I am trying to break), but I feel that this review simply must be read by everyone. You'll understand me in due time. Forget who I am for the moment, I will introduce myself in the forums later. Just listen to my story.

I am, of course, talking about only one thing:

The Card College Series.

.. what, you thought I was gonna say Royal Road to Card Magic? Think again, and allow me to spin you a tale of fantasy and wonder, of trials and tribulations. Let me tell you about my journeys with Card College.

In my sister’s arms was a HUGE present, tall and thick, with awkward indentations and taping patterns in the sides of the wrapping paper indicating that it, in fact, was not one large box, but was instead several items haphazardly stacked and wrapped together. I took the parcel in my arms with a shocked expression. As my fingers traced the sides of the presents, I could feel the tell-tale give in the wrapping paper—these were books.

At first, I was disappointed. Being rather young and relatively new to the world of magic, I suffered the handicap of downright despising learning magic from books. I had once tried to thumb through classics like Expert at the Card Table and Bobo’s Modern Coin Magic only to find myself being put off by how old the books seemed, as well as the expansive and overwhelming amount of text over every single move. Add that to the slew of other, less than stellar magic books that plague the shelves of any magic section at Borders, and you could see why I had such a bias. You might even say I thought videos were the only way to go.

This initial disappointment, however, quickly faded. A glance to the gift tag told me that this present was either from a man who was recovering from a mild stroke, or my uncle. This was a man who, although he knew I was a fledgling magician, had an unusual knack for getting me the opposite of what I usually wanted. Thus, maybe these books weren’t magic related at all! Maybe they were a bunch of good novels, or some journals to write in or something. Still not great, but hey, you can’t win them all. My fingers began to peel, rip, and tear at the skin of the carefully prepared package.

And I found all five volumes of the Card College series staring back up at me. A note was taped haphazardly on the front of it, in equally abysmal handwriting. It read (to the best of my knowledge): “Brendan, a majishian told me to get you these. Hope you like them, and Menny Chrestmas!” Following it was a nigh incomprehensible signature. My disappointment surged like bile in my throat, but I bit it back with a large swallow, determined to make the best of this gracious gift. I thumbed through the first volume for about ten minutes, reading through the chapter on the overhand shuffle and likewise controls for it. This was something I actually was still particularly bad at, so I quickly became frustrated. I was slightly impressed at the detail that went into such a simple sleight, but I was going nowhere fast. A quick flip through the book gave me the impression that the rest of it was likewise all extremely simple sleights told in excruciating detail, as well as a few very simple, boring tricks. With the grace of an arrogant imbecile, I felt this book was far too simple for me, that my card magic was far beyond all this beginner’s stuff. I sighed, tossing the tomes on my bookshelf, promising myself I’d look over them later. After all, I had heard many in the E forums say that they heard they were good books. I turned to my TV and continued my magical education.

(Continued below)

And there the books stayed until just a few weeks ago when, after mastering most of the techniques in a vast majority of my DVDs, I was starved for new tricks and sleights. I had exhausted all my available resources, and was desperate for anything to learn some new, hard hitting (particularly impromptu) card magic from. Plus, I was really bored. Thus, there I was, sitting on my computer, chatting to my magic buddies, bored and utterly frustrated at my magic standstill. It was then that I, almost as if some unconscious force were willing me to do so, approached my dusty bookshelf and grabbed the first volume of Card College, determined to read the heck out of the whole thing.

After about an hour or two of reading and practicing, it was as if a veil had been lifted from my eyes. By the end of that week, I had read through the first two volumes, and with them I had learned more hard-hitting effects, skills, and sleights than I possibly ever could from a veritable cornucopia of DVDs! And this was only halfway through the series! I feel like a fool for ever doubting such a powerful set of books, and after learning of what priceless knowledge they contain, you just might feel the same.

As we all know, a book is only as valuable as the information it contains, and with Card College, you may as well be walking around with solid gold blocks in your hands. The books themselves contain a WORLD of sleights, from everything as simple as a dealer’s grip to knuckle busting flourishes, passes, and false displays. Words can scarcely describe the meticulous, almost obsessive detail Giobbi put into every single page. Every sleight is broken down so fully and completely that it is almost impossible to miss anything. Every finger position is noted, every nuance of the hands described in full. On top of that, these wondrous descriptions are further aided every step of the way by simple, clear cut illustrations. Having trouble? No problem, because at the end of every sleight Giobbi reviews the entire affair in a series of carefully selected checkpoints, leaving no problem unsolved, no stone unturned. It truly is a step-by-step instruction of nearly every one of the best sleights in the world, making it a treasure trove for magicians of all ages and levels.

He further adds to this brilliance by ending every chapter with a couple or more tricks that deal primarily with the sleights just taught, but may also involve sleights taught in previous chapters, thus encouraging them to cement even more in the reader’s mind. There are even entire chapters devoted to tricks in the final volume! When I first flipped through the series, I was very much disappointed with the tricks that I had read, thinking they were far too simple and overdone. This was only because I was flipping through the first few CHAPTERS of the series. Thus, the tricks I read were all very dependant on a very minimal amount of sleights. Had I looked at the tricks near the end or middle of the first volume, I would have been surprised to find incredible hard-hitting magic. And I was. Not only are the tricks paired with wonderful descriptions and enthralling presentations but they are hard-hitting, impromptu, and, above all, SIMPLE. Don't be put off by how simple they are. As magicians, we must all remember this age old mantra: Simple hits hard. Never has this mantra been so perfectly personified than within this series. Many of the tricks from Card College have become staple parts of my routine, and have considerably added to my reputation as a card worker. All of the tricks are sure to be a welcome part to any magician’s routine. Also, with the simplicity of these effects, it encourages budding magicians to take their own route and try to invent their own tricks.

And, as if this weren’t enough, Giobbi further gobsmacks us with chapters devoted entirely to not sleights, not tricks, but theory. Giobbi’s chapters on the theories and structures of magic (found in Volume 2 and 4, respectively) are filled with perhaps the most valuable information the entire series can offer. It covers EVERYTHING from genius outs to psychology to misdirection to-- I can’t even begin to capitulate the sparkling diamonds these chapters are. They are so chock full of information, I can barely begin to describe them. I feel they are worth the entire series alone, if not those respective volumes! On top of that, Giobbi’s rich and entertaining writing style makes these chapters an absolute joy to read. He is downright scholarly in his approach to what he feels is one of the greatest arts in the entire world. You can practically feel his adoration of magic pouring out from the pages, and the fact that he is willing to share this with us only further pulls us into the art ourselves. The introductions to each of the volumes is, likewise, expertly written and deliciously crafted, spoken with the wisdom of a Zen scholar (which he is, by the by). Never could our art have such a talented individual.

After searching through the forums, I’ve found that many people were a lot like me: that they’ve HEARD Card College is good, but have never had the opportunity (or perhaps desire) to read it. Having read nearly all the series, it saddens me to see this, as I feel that Card College is an essential to anyone’s magical education. Look at it this way:

All in all, the information in these books is so priceless and so incredibly wonderful, that I can’t imagine anyone being able to do without it! This series is a must-have. It should be a REQUIREMENT for any aspiring card magician. If you’re not adding this series (or at least Volumes 1 and 2) to your cart right now, what are you waiting for!? It doesn’t matter if you’re a beginner or an expert, a staunch DVD enthusiast or an old school book-only learner; Card College has something for everyone. These are the bibles of magic. They may be pricey, but they are worth every penny. Don’t wait. Get them NOW.

Sincerely,
Brendan James Magnus Spence

Probably the best review of the best series on card magic. Very well done.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results