The Subtle Project Information - Feedback?

Jan 15, 2008
in the royal court
Ok so here i will talk out my subtle project..
Subtle: The project
me CARUSO, and Ryanmagix (which you may know already, he is a famous pop star that created the best TNR so far, and has a video on youtube)
we have came up with this idea some time ago. With the concepts from the DG projects. we have around 12 unique tricks, original sleights, 2 awesome color changes, and coin routines...

"we" have been putting a lot of time and effort on to this, we have tested all on this project (hopefully in the future a DVD), although we are not done, we just wanted to share what we are really and seriously working on here..

we just want feedback or and questions..
thankkfully, caruso

Sep 1, 2007
Leesburg, Virginia.
So how does that come together? Random stuff if you want it DVD? I guess this would be a magic in general DVD for what, intermediates? Trust me man, it's not just about creating the tricks. You better be prepared to work your ass off if you want to make something out of it. Thinking of a "few cool moves" is 3% of it. It's going to take months to years of hard work and money, even if you're just making a downloadable e-book. Sounds good, but you've got MUCH more to think about. If you're serious about this, keep it up.

Sep 1, 2007
You want feedback on your work towards producing your own material "hopefully in the future a DVD"? Here's my honest opinion:

You're 15, and you've been in magic for about 3 MONTHS. That's based on a post you made on January 29th, in these forums, in which you said you'd been in magic for "about 2 and a half months". To put it very clearly, I am not interested in what you have to say, because you're totally underqualified. Even if your partner in this project is an incredibly well qualified magician, your inclusion undermines it totally.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not trying to hurt your feelings. At your stage it should be about studying the work of other magicians and learning as much as you can, while you figure out what kind of magician you want to be. This takes YEARS! Only when you've done that should you even think about getting creative, because it's only at that stage in your development that you have any realistic benchmark to measure your creations against. I don't care how fast you're picking it up - talent and ability are as nothing compared to experience and hard work. The more time you spend now on things like this project, the longer it will take you to get to a point where you know what you're talking about.

A friend of mine, Steve Haynes, has just released his "Casanova Concept" DVD, to the most positive reception amongst magicians I've seen in a little while. Paul Harris' endorsement alone lends it massive credibility. He's been working on this for 17 years and closes his act with it. After 17 years of experience, tweaking, research and refinement, Steve has got everyone excited with something special. If everyone followed this example, maybe there wouldn't be so much rubbish available.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 28, 2007
You want feedback on your work towards producing your own material "hopefully in the future a DVD"? Here's my honest opinion:

You're 15, and you've been in magic for about 3 MONTHS. That's based on a post you made on January 29th, in these forums, in which you said you'd been in magic for "about 2 and a half months". To put it very clearly, I am not interested in what you have to say, because you're totally underqualified. Even if your partner in this project is an incredibly well qualified magician, your inclusion undermines it totally.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not trying to hurt your feelings. At your stage it should be about studying the work of other magicians and learning as much as you can, while you figure out what kind of magician you want to be. This takes YEARS! Only when you've done that should you even think about getting creative, because it's only at that stage in your development do you have any realistic benchmark to measure your creations against. I don't care how fast you're picking it up - talent and ability are as nothing compared to experience and hard work. The more time you spend now on things like this project, the longer it will take you to get to a point where you know what you're talking about.

You shouldn't say he is underqualified unless you personally know him, you don't know if he is qualified yeah he might not be the most experienced guy in the world but he might of worked very hard for it and may be more experienced then you know. If he has a lot of talent, ability, and hard work and may preform a lot, he might have the concepts and a good foundation and understandings of the art and i would think that could make up for some experience. And you know sometimes you don't have to think about things for years and trying to improve it, he might already have it down, and he has preformed several times. So i say good luck hope it will be a success!:D

Sep 1, 2007
Seriously? Wow.

3 months in magic = underqualified to try and contribute "new ideas" to the community, period. If you can't get behind that concept then you're really just wearing your ignorance as a badge of honour.

Aug 31, 2007
Ohio
You shouldn't say he is underqualified unless you personally know him, you don't know if he is qualified yeah he might not be the most experienced guy in the world but he might of worked very hard for it and may be more experienced then you know. If he has a lot of talent, ability, and hard work and may preform a lot, he might have the concepts and a good foundation and understandings of the art and i would think that could make up for some experience. And you know sometimes you don't have to think about things for years and trying to improve it, he might already have it down, and he has preformed several times. So i say good luck hope it will be a success!:D

Three months is absolutely not enough time to achieve a high enough skill level (presentationally or mechanically) or develop a solid enough understanding of the art to do what he is trying to do. I don't care how much he has performed during those three months. It simply is not enough time to gain the experience.

He asked for feedback, and he got it.

-Colin

Oct 6, 2007
Shodan, and everyone else that has disapproved of this kid, trying to make a DVD at age 15, with 3 months experience I thank you.

It seriosuly pisses me off when these kids think they're the bomb, because they can do some sleight that all their magic friends cant do.

You are seriously thinking of making a DVD at age 15? And waht, 3 months magic experience? WTF is that kind of mentality- a pure example of being in it for the fame/money.

Being creative is great! But thnking of creating a DVD!? Madness...hehe

Shodan, and everyone else that has disapproved of this kid, trying to make a DVD at age 15, with 3 months experience I thank you.

It seriosuly pisses me off when these kids think they're the bomb, because they can do some sleight that all their magic friends cant do.

You are seriously thinking of making a DVD at age 15? And waht, 3 months magic experience? WTF is that kind of mentality- a pure example of being in it for the fame/money.

Being creative is great! But thnking of creating a DVD!? Madness...hehe
I don't think that Caruso's thinking is the problem, I think it's just that he hasn't been taught properly. He hasn't learned that it takes time and effort to become an experienced magician. If he was exposed to the right kind of mentality from the get go, we wouldn't be in the situation. Instead of getting angry at him, we should be directing him to locations where he can learn this mentality that everyone is telling him he should have.

Look Caruso, as others have stated 3 months is not enough time to be putting out DVD's/material. It DOES take experience, but more experience than you already have. Instead of worrying about selling and attention, I think you should worry about your magic and yourself. Work on what is most important, your tool to create amazement. Your magic.

I recommend you read this thread started by Justin Miller HERE.

Mitchell

Jan 15, 2008
in the royal court
well yeah i got my self steem low now, i might jump off the window after i post this... lol
naa.. i get it... that is true 15 years old, 3 months of experience...
O and that part about new kids thinking they are the bomb... ok that really pist me off... yeah i just started so what ... i think im good, if you dont think ur good i dont care... nobody cares... i dont think im the bomb i never said i was the bomb.. (man i wanna swear right now) dont you stereotype me u..... theory11 forum member... magic can always use a new mind of magic... there are really crappy tricks people "invent" i do know that 3 months is an unacceptable amount of time to contribute in a high way to a magic community... darosa.justin this is speciall to you... u got it all messed up "what kind of mentality" ??? well actually not i wasnt aiming to that, i was actually aiming to how out of the box magic is, for everyone... yes even with my mentality... i dont care if you... man im pissed.... well to sum things up.... : i do not think i am the bomb, never did, i do dedicate around 5-6 hours a day (i am not exagerating) i have come up with some tricks and good ones by the way.. no the idea of making a DVD was a joke... and if i wanted to make DVD so what...

ok im going to go bite the head out of my teddy bear...

o and to those that were kind of in favor of this... guys you got to acknowledge the against people, they are right ... a dude wh 3 months of experience making a DVD??.... well it could be possible... but very hard... maybe he just has a better imagination than all of the people.. but o well...
thanks for the comments, for the acknnowledgemnt, and the points of view... from everyone...

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 1, 2007
San Francisco, CA
Guys, this really pisses me off. Where do you get the right to come in here and start bashing a fairly new member just because he wants to be creative.

I get the fact that he's is not experienced enough to do this kind of thing, but that doesn't change the fact that what you guys did was rude.

Just because what he's doing isn't the best thing for him, doesn't mean you have to get mad. All you have to do is nicely tell him that he should refine his effects and maybe in a few years he can come back and blow us all away.

At Caruso, I have to agree that your experience is probably not enough to justify creating a DVD, but I also apologize for my fellow members. I think it would be great if you refine your effects on the streets, and then come back and blow us all away.

Good luck,

David

Sep 1, 2007
I hope that post was not directed at me in any way David - I think I laid out my point in a reasonable tone, even if I didn't sugar coat it. Caruso came in looking for feedback and wasn't happy with the feedback he got. Instead of making his case, or probing further into why people feel like this, he gets angry and defensive. Sometimes advice can be hard to swallow, but the fact is that without honest advice how are any of us going to improve?

Oct 6, 2007
I started writing a long apology, until I realised, I don't actually feel the way I initally thought about this topic.

I am sorry for being so harsh and rude about it Caruso. Really I sincerely apologize to you, and anyone else that jay be offended or discouraged by my words.

However, I DO stick to the fact that even the THOUGHT of a 'DVD' full of your created tricks, at the age of 15 with 3 months magic expereicne is just hilarious and also outrageous. You even call yourself a beginner, "ima a beginner so WTF" and you think that you can create all these great effects and publish them in a self-made DVD? Your whole idea to me is seriosuly a joke. Have you ever heard of a BEGINNER in an art, making a difference to the actual art by publishing his new ideasm and concepts? No!

Everyone that has ever created a successful DVD has put sweat and blood into it. They sepnd years and years trying to perfect everything as much as they can, refining and making the method as simple and effective as can be.

With that said, I hope you just understand the fact that I don't think a beginner like you and most likely 99% of the people here (besides the T11 crew and co.) can createe something of their own that would make a difference to magic today.

But Caruso, I really would to say sorry for my rudeness and harshness (this post included). But also, your reply to my post didn't make much sense. Try speaking understandable english, thanks.

Until you show me something that is 100x better than the videos you ahve on youtube (which just prove you are a real beginner), I really think the mere thought of a DVD should be swept aside.

P.S. I've seen your videos on youtube- the quality of the sleights and performance just back up my writing, that a 3 month experienced magician is crazy to think of creating a DVD.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results