IBM warns a Hong Kong magician against exposure

Sep 3, 2007
Canada, Quebec
First of all, this thread might not concern everyone.

For those who live in Taiwan, Hong Kong, or China, some of you may know who Andy Kwok (郭安迪) is. For those who do not know about him, he's a so-called magician who exposes gambling techniques and magic effects on television in every show which he was invited. I was surprised when I first know about this and always wonder why he is allowed to do that for years.

Recently, I heard a rumor that IBM (International Brotherhood of Magicians) finally sent him a warning letter about all the exposures he has done.

I'm hoping this is true. Has any magician from Taiwan, Hong Kong or China in here heard of this rumor as well?

Sep 3, 2007
Canada, Quebec
What I don't like about this guy is how he makes people believe that magic is nothing but cheat. This further leads to the thinking "magicians = swindlers". In my opinion, this highly destroys the image of magicians. And I really don't understand why a "magician" would ever do that.

Oct 17, 2007
SG
If you understand what he's saying, he's trying to imitate Penn and Teller's style.

I personally don't feel it works. I watched several of his performances and I don't really feel any magic happening. Nobody seems amazed as well.

Oct 8, 2007
EDIT.. wrong post. Good thing I have something to say here too.

Anyway, I have heard of Andy Kwok, sometime back. And I have heard that he's the one exposing on TV. I'm not from that area though, just read it on the net when some people were complaining about exposure.

He's just getting more attention than entertaining the audience the way Penn and Teller do.

Oct 6, 2007
Hmm, I haven't heard of his name, but I beleive I was affected by his exposure.

I was performing one of the most popular stret card tricks, 2 Card Monte, to a group of Hong Kong girls, maybe 4-5.

Right after the effect, all the girls, expect one were really surprised and amazed. Then, the only girl who wasn't reacting pulled a few of the girls aside while saying a chinese phrase "Cherr...." (chinese people will get this).

SHe then started to explain (in chinese) how this guy on TV was exposing how this trick was done etc. So it basically ruined the whole performance, for the majority of the girls.

THis was the first ever time I have been affected by magic exposure through media.

Hope the IBM can put an end to this B****.

Sep 1, 2007
Melbourne
He received a lot of pressure and criticism at FISM 06, apparently a bunch of people threatened to throw him out, but yea he has been stealing other peoples stuff and selling it in his own dvds and exposing stuff elsewhere.

Aug 31, 2007
Atlanta, GA
If its the same guy, there is a four page long thread over at the Magic Cafe in the IBM section about him. I think its good that something is being done about it.

Sep 3, 2007
Canada, Quebec
If its the same guy, there is a four page long thread over at the Magic Cafe in the IBM section about him. I think its good that something is being done about it.

I just went to the IBM section at Magic Cafe, but don't seem to find the thread you were talking about. Can you give me the link to that? Thanks :)

Mar 22, 2008
idk bunch old guys.
how are we supposed to get new magicians if we do not divulge some info
we were all laymen once nobody was born a magician.
remember that person or video or website that sparked the interest in the art.

if those events did not occur you would not be a magician.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 1, 2007
Hong Kong
tampaunderground, your last statement was hilarious.

I also think the material and the way he exposes magic are completely wrong and unethical.
I think it's okay to expose tricks like the 21 cad trick and four burglars trick on a smaller scale. Or even exposing magic-related scams like 3 card monte and 3 shell game, etc.

But exposing tricks in which many use to earn an honest living is just wrong.
This is just like how crooked cops tip the bad guys off before they go bust him.

Oct 8, 2007
Tampa, your last post above was exactly the same as your post in the Penn and Teller thread.

I don't know about you, but I got into magic when I saw a magician do something that looked magical, something that entertained me. There may be a problem if you think that the only way to get other people into magic is through exposure of some of its secrets. Magic is built around these secrets and I think you just can't give away a part of that just to get other people into the art. I'd rather practice an effect well and show it to someone, impress them and maybe spark an interest in magic than to reveal an effect that a lot of magicians are using to entertain others. I'd rather inspire, not entice.

Fact is, some people just want to satisfy their curiosity. Sometimes, that's the only thing you can achieve from exposing. For magicians, or for me at least, these are not shallow secrets. They're worth a lot more. Once they know the secret, then that's that. What more can you do then?

I wouldn't like someone exposing my secrets of course, whether magic-related or not.

Just my .02

Sep 3, 2007
Canada, Quebec
idk bunch old guys.

I really doubt that magicians started what they are doing now by watching exposures on TV in the first place. I personally started magics because I was stunned by an effect, not by its method. I believe this is the case for most of us.
Besides, what Andy Kwok (the Hong Kong exposure guy) was doing on TV is far from amazements.

What he did, was rather establishing the link between conman and magician. And personally, I do not want to be seen as a conman when I do magic.

Jan 11, 2008
New york
idk bunch old guys.

you sound like a guy who knows alot of magic tricks....when it becomes an art for you you'll understand for yourself how secrtcy is key to becoming amazing.
intill then ,after you do a "Trick" spark some interest by showing them how you did it.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results