All About Wynn's

Feb 14, 2008
The Wynn Decks.

So, there were Wynn's and there was hype.
Regardless of what experts or users think, the Wynn deck, Red, Blue, or Brown. All have the cambric finish. All handle almost the same, its just a misconception some people have.
The cambric finish however, is different from the one normally that is on the Bee playing cards, in terms of Stock. The cards are stiffer than almost anything I've ever handled, with the exception of Nuggets, (Golden or Jerry's), which kind of match the Wynn's in terms of the simplicity and elegance of the back design and quality.
So, quality...
The Wynn's are beautiful. However, they can be troublesome. For the people living in regions with above moderate atmospheric moisture they can be hell.
The stock used in the production of Wynn's has a very dry smooth finish when factory packed, and although it feels very slick to handle them at the beginning, they do not fan or faro proper. A little breaking in is required to bring them to their optimal.
Now, the moisture. The catastrophic moisture and the atmospheric moisture can be hell for anyone handling Wynn's. A little moisture on, and there you. Skin oil's get accumulated in no time at all, in form of ugly dirty brown circular ball like shaped clusters on the white borders. The cards become disgustingly sticky.

But

There's a way with everything. So there's a way how to treat your Wynn's. And it will pay off.

Here's what you need.

Fanning powder, a clean paper bag.

Wash your hands, dry them with a clean towel.
Grab the paper bag, sprinkle in a little fanning powder, (2 shakes will do just fine, you don't need excessive. )
Just gently dribble in the cards. The Wynn's have a very stiff stock, springing them is not very good for their life-span. So don't spring in the cards.
And just close up the bag, shake a little, take out the cards and gently shuffle them, don't bend them too much if you riffle shuffle.
Once you have the powder distributed, you are ready to go.

---
The deck does not fan good, before fanning powder. You cannot faro them with the back's towards you when you angle faro downward(thats how you normally do it. )

After fanning powder, you will be able to faro them, and fan them, very good.
Something you don't want to do is, apply the fanning powder after using them a lot. The powder will kind of stick to your cards, making them look ugly.

---
Afterthoughts.

Wynn's are limited, as we all know. Use them wisely. Using Wynn's for walk around magic is unethical and absurd. The dust from all around and the moisture will wreck your cards. Unless you have a lot of them, i.e. , and you can manage using the deck just for 2 hours or so.
Besides when you hand out cards to your spectators on the street, they usually have unclean hands.

Multi packet cuts are swifter when performed with these cards, as the packets tend to stay together after 10 minutes of breaking in.

---

Are the Wynn's gone?
No.

People who purchased Wynn's a lot have stashed their supplies, as we all know, in order to make a fortune on eBay.
I saw a deck listed for 64. something us $ today on eBay. Brown Wynn i.e.
The Red and Blue Wynn's are just as good, besides you have the advantage of getting them in normal indexes. They are easily available on the internet websites or even on eBay. Once they are sold out on non user listing websites, then getting them can be a pain in your pocket or trouble.

---

Best playing cards in the world?
Not at all.
A Bicycle rider back or a Tally Ho outshines this deck in all aspects. If you really flourish a lot, you know whats best for you. If you are conventionally inspired by flourishes then you will have some fanning in your routines, so you can't really do routines which are about 3+ minutes which have flourishes like fans and arm spreads, as the sweat will make your cards sticky. Fanning powder will help you. Tune your deck in order to get optimal performance.
At the end of the day, learn to keep it real. Be true with yourself and have an insight about everything around you, just don't blindly follow public opinion.
The godfathers of card flourishing have always been subtle and enjoy the simplicity of their tools and the nature of this art alone.

Suhel.

Mar 12, 2008
The Wynn Decks.
Best playing cards in the world?
Not at all.
A Bicycle rider back or a Tally Ho outshines this deck in all aspects. If you really flourish a lot, you know whats best for you. If you are conventionally inspired by flourishes then you will have some fanning in your routines, so you can't really do routines which are about 3+ minutes which have flourishes like fans and arm spreads, as the sweat will make your cards sticky. Fanning powder will help you. Tune your deck in order to get optimal performance.
At the end of the day, learn to keep it real. Be true with yourself and have an insight about everything around you, just don't blindly follow public opinion.
The godfathers of card flourishing have always been subtle and enjoy the simplicity of their tools and the nature of this art alone.

Suhel.

I agree.
I mean, if the wynns where the best, then uspcc would have fond a way to make them as good, and expensive.

Nov 23, 2007
NC
Good info to help make them last. I like them also but in the end they are just cards.

Flyspazz

Oct 28, 2007
the red and violet wynns are nothing like the browns at all (ever) the red and violet are a lot more plasticy and can't fan worth crap even right out of the box, the browns fan perfectly out of the box and last for a long time if you know how to take care of your cards.

on the other hand if you get a hold on some rare tech art red and violet wynns they will feel dramaticly different they don't feel plasticy and the reds are superb but they don't feel like browns at all.

Feb 14, 2008
I said they don't fan proper, my friend. :)
anyway, here's some photographs of the Violet /Blue wynn. Enjoy.

Attachments

• n639352182_510505_4577.jpg
    n639352182_510505_4577.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 112
  • n639352182_510504_2928.jpg
    n639352182_510504_2928.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 95
  • n639352182_510509_9780.jpg
    n639352182_510509_9780.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 124

gared_Crawford

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2007
Houston, TX
I'd like to chime in here with some thoughts. I purchased 4 bricks of Wynns. One Brown...from T11, a violet and a red brick....each from the same ebay seller (don't remember the name), and more recently I got another brick of reds from AceKing's eBay store.

The first three bricks I got were all of the same quality and feel...one of each color. They all have the jumbo index print. They fan very well and are a bit thicker than Bikes.

The last brick of reds I got falls into the category of what some are referring to as clumpy and plastic-y. They also have STANDARD index print instead of the jumbo. The card stock is noticeably different from the other three. It is smoother and the "grain" of the stock is less pronounced. Right out of the box they would hardly fan at all and the edges seemed to be quite jagged at first. I was still able to break them in and get them to fan pretty normally.

So I'm wondering if it's just the standard index ones that are different. Anyone else think that this is the case?

Last edited by a moderator:
Feb 2, 2008
so is it true that all Jumbo index, regardless red/blue/brown feel the same?

I only own standard index, and i am now curious.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results