Misdirection

Mar 26, 2008
Around
Olny srmat poelpe can raed tihs. I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt!

OK I just thought that I would throw this out there. I had a lot of fun taking Psychology in college and I am still working on my degree. This is exactly what magicians deal with when it comes to misdirection. The ability that the magician has to make the spectator think they have seen everything that is going on is vital to nearly every effect.

I challenge everyone to build their understanding of how misdirection works. How the mind works, and what the spectator sees when we do magic for them.

Similar the text above it almost does not matter what the magician does as long as what the spectator sees makes sense to them. If I am palming a coin or a card while attempting to convince someone that nothing is at of place, my actions right before and right after the move are the most important. Of course the move is important also, but I find those times I get caught it is because my actions before or after did not match that of the norm.

Really I just love the psychology of magic. What do you think or know about this?

Joe

Mar 6, 2008
I think that the really great magicians of all time are the ones that have fully understood the psychology of magic and the human mind. People like Mr Vernon and others must have understood it to create these ingenious effects.

Sep 2, 2007
???
While I think the psychology of magic is very interesting (check Eugene Burger), I think the psychology of mentalism is much more interesting.

I do believe that the above text example you've given is rather tenuous at best, as is your link to the "psychology of magic". The text was not developed at the University of Cambridge, I would suggest researching things like this before stating them as facts! You should know about proper referencing and citation, as a Undergraduate and a Magician!

Mar 26, 2008
Around
I think that the really great magicians of all time are the ones that have fully understood the psychology of magic and the human mind. People like Mr Vernon and others must have understood it to create these ingenious effects.

I agree with that completely!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results