2 Minutes to Review Dresscode by Calen Morelli

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiBFeo6sZI4[/video]

So, Calen Morelli is a creative guy. He has consulted for David Blaine, Dan White, Dynamo, and David Copperfield. This trick is explanation enough as to why. This is a quick change effect with everyday street clothes. Basically you turn around and your shirt changes into another shirt.

There is a reason that this trick was performed by Dynamo, Cyril and Stuart Edge. It is a great trick and is completely customizable to fit any type of presentation.

Calen starts off by going over the construction of the gimmick in detail. You will need to destroy a t-shirt in the process but by the end you will have a very strong effect. There is no sewing required and at first glance you may wonder how well the gimmicks will stand up to constant use. Take it from me if you follow Calen's advice the gimmick will last through many performances.

For both t-shirts there are a handful specifications you will need to follow. It may work with shirts you already have but I would recommend waiting to purchase specific shirts until after you have the DVD. You will also need either a jacket or over shirt with a collar.

Calen includes various ideas using cards, forces and equivoque to select an object to appear on the t-shirt. I love all of the ideas but Calen's performance is kind of lacking here. It doesn't hamper the actual change of the shirt, it is just a little painful to watch and probably should not be emulated.

A couple negatives on this include the body type that this would work best on. This has to do with certain clothing and specific sizes of clothing. If you are a pretty big guy I can see some problems arising it will work for most though even if you do have a bit of a gut.

A popular idea involves changing a casual shirt into a dress shirt. While Calen covers a method for this it is really performed best with a t-shirt in my opinion. The types of shirts required are very specific already and when it comes to dress shirts it gets even more specific. My recommendation would be to stick to the t-shirt version and don't rely on the formal version working. On the other hand if you purchase it the formal version adds some extra tips that you might like.

So this is a great packs small plays big effect. It can be performed on the street or on stage. It is super versatile and can be adapted to so many performance styles and scenarios. There are some angle considerations but for the most part this is about as solid as they come.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results