5 Steps To Get A Job In Magic

Sep 13, 2014
I got interested only to lighten the mood when I was a combat medic. Then I got wounded (LimDu) so I was sent to a base hospital and did magic to put patients at ease (mostly dependents of active duty).

Left the military and the magic kinda died out. Numerous reasons why ranging from losing everything in a bankruptcy, living out of a car, struggling with my injuries...etc.

Picked it up again not that long ago. Diamond Jim Tyler inspired me by mentioning to give back. It reminded me of the good feeling I got doing magic in the military.

Jul 1, 2014
Reading through all the post in this thread astonishes me. I started learning magic in the early 2012 after watching a friend of mine perform magic after a baseball game (We were in the same team at highschool :D ) After practicing for a few months, I got frustrated because of all the difficult sleights that I wanted to learn (shame on me) and at that time, I accidentally knew about cardistry. I spent the next one year and a half focusing on cardistry only. During the time, I still performed magic occasionally but did not actually pick up any new stuff.
Then one day, everything just felt so fresh and I went back to learning magic. Since then I've been practicing both magic and cardistry. About six months a go, I started learning about mentalism and hypnosis. I'm currently in my third year at university and my major is English Linguistic, specialized in translating/interpreting. So I find mentalism and hypnosis interesting because studying them may help me with my academic stuff and I can even apply what I learn when performing.
I'm still a hobbyist, never had a paid gigs. However, I do hope that in the future I can make my living with both what I'm learning at university and magic.
You guys here really inspire me. Thank you very much for that. And this is what I love about magic: it brings people together, to share experience and help each other even when you aren't aware of that. Really appreciate it :)

Oct 10, 2015
I got interested only to lighten the mood when I was a combat medic. Then I got wounded (LimDu) so I was sent to a base hospital and did magic to put patients at ease (mostly dependents of active duty).

Left the military and the magic kinda died out. Numerous reasons why ranging from losing everything in a bankruptcy, living out of a car, struggling with my injuries...etc.

Picked it up again not that long ago. Diamond Jim Tyler inspired me by mentioning to give back. It reminded me of the good feeling I got doing magic in the military.
Really cool story. Inspiring. Best of luck.

Reactions: JohnnyLarue

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
Man I wish I had you as a teacher. You sound like you're living out your dreams my friend.

I appreciate your kind words but you give me too much credit. I'm happy with my relationship with magic but it's by no means an exclusive club. If you ever have any questions I'd love to share what I think.

I'm on here to learn from others.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results