A Creative Exercise..

Luis Vega

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx
Hello Everyone!!

I wanted to post a little exercise for magic...see I was on the "Independence Party" here in mexico and they were selling this little colored umbrellas there for around 1 buck..these are not the kind of umbrellas that you put on a drink..is a fully funcional umbrella but around 1/4 of size, monkey size!!

I bought it because I thought I could do a routine with it...doesn´t happen to you that you buy something because "I can made something out of it" like a trick or routine?

anyway I keep staring at it and I cannot think of anything!!! I just have it around lying in case something occurs to me...

so what would you with it? any ideas?

Sep 2, 2007
Houston, TX
Have it completely closed up, and open it, and impossibly pull something out of it...close it back....repeat. make a routine out of it, and then at the end, open it up and produce a glass of water, raise your glass to the audience, say thank you and take a drink :)

May 3, 2008
Hong Kong
A lot of people have performed tricks with umbrellas. They are usually the ones who are more... culturally oriented.
Thus, the first one to come to mind is Jeff Mcrbride. I am sure in his performances, there will at least one umbrella. I think... he produced a bunch of paper flowers from an umbrella some where. If I recall, they were just the collapsible flowers that come in... 20s or 50s and pack up into the size of a deck. This basically works with any collapsible item. Don't produce anything small though... like... a deck of cards... cause anyone can hide a deck of cards in an umbrella. Perhaps you can try the Appearing Pole.
As for actual magic with the umbrella, there have been Umbrella Manipulation DVDs before I think. One produced here in HK is Parasol Anywhere by Joker Lam. I've never seen it, but it looks quite nice: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6Xo_HA2rK8
I think Shimada also does a Parasol Act.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Think along the lines of what are all of the pieces of the umbrella. Can the handle be used to have a load in it? Could you use an opened umbrella to produce multiple objects? Could there be a reveal on the material part by using lemon juice or other solutions?
Could you use the point of the umbrella to do a card stab?

I'm just brain storming.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results