A fellow performer *or soon to be* little magician lost...

Nov 25, 2007
This post has been edited, thanks to all of the awesome and uber cool magic kiddos here at Theory11. Your advice and professionalism regarding my many postings here on this site has been invaluable....

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you're overwhelming yourself right now and not looking at the big picture. You're only 23 years young. You have the rest of your life to make things happen and go for your dreams. You're actually doing more harm than good at this point, as everything is just right in your face and you don't know where to start.

What you need to do is make a list of what you want to accomplish in life, and in magic. Those are two totally separate things. Do you want kids? Do you want to raise a family? Do you want to tour and have your own show? There are so many *wants* that right now, you don't know which to go for first.

Make a list of everything you want to accomplish, with the most realistic goals first and foremost. If you eventually want your own stage show, you need props. In order to build the props, you need money. How are you going to get that money? Furthermore, look at a cheaper way to get the materials needed at the moment. Unless you are David Copperfield, you don't need a $10,000 sub trunk. I'm sure someone in your family is halfway decent with a skill saw...buy the plans for some illusions and buy the materials at Home Depot.

Of course, that's just a VERY brief example. If you want me to help further, it would be my pleasure. Just shoot me a pm or email at steven@simmonsmagic.com and we'll go from there. No pressure either way.

But, take a step back and look at things realistically and realize that you are ONLY 23 YEARS YOUNG! You're just scratching the surface on what you can achieve in life right now! :)

No hurry. at. all.

-Steve

Nov 28, 2007
D.C. Area
just ask yourself, "what do i REALLY want in life" sooner you know, sooner you can create your life for the better.

KatieKenner

that girl who posts videos sometimes / t11
Sep 1, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
www.myspace.com
Well,

I am 25 years old. And some would say I've accomplished a lot at my age. I'm going to be tough, but without this knowledge, I would not be as successful as I am in a few mediums of entertainment.

First, why do you want to get into magic? Is being an assistant on stage twice with David Copperfield the only reason? Do you want to perform? Have you performed? Do you want to be respected as an artist? Or do you think you can earn a lot of money by being a magician?

Second, I would try to stay true to who you are, there are a million stage magicians out there who "recreate illusions". If you are wanting to do everything like David Copperfield, I hate to break it to you, but there are a lot of touring magicians that are doing David's tricks and they are not selling out arenas, don't get me wrong, some are, but most are not.

There is a reason David Copperfield, Criss Angel and David Blaine are the three most recognizable magicians in the world today. They are all different, and have totally different styles.

Third, if you have never performed before, I suggest you try it out, whether is be dance, karaoke night, card tricks to friends or coin tricks to family, start performing. I keep up with your posts and the only time I have ever seen you mention you being in front of a crowd is when you were an assistant with David Copperfield. Its awesome, yes. However, you need to probably find something you can do on a weekly/monthly basis. You will find it is far more rewarding, and hopefully it will inspire you to branch off and come up with ideas with a more original twist.

Last, remember that less is more. There are very few illusionists that can do 45 tricks in an hour and fifteen minute show. Everyone on this forum has had this discussion. If you can do Three AMAZING effects, it is better than 10 mediocre tricks.

Just some food for thought, if you have any questions I'd be happy to answer them.

Katie Egleston

Sep 1, 2007
Jamestown, NC
www.google.com
I agree with Katie, she had some great points.

Ashley, if magic is what you really want to do (not just for enjoyment, even though you should enjoy it even if you want to do it as a career) then you will need to keep various goals in mind.

You have to realize that there are very few people who go into this industry (and other industries) that have the pleasure of saying that they started at the top, and could only get higher. Most people, performers, magicians, what have you will have to put in tons of hard work to make their ways up to the top slowly, but surely.

If it helps, create sevel smaller goals that eventually get bigger rather than having one or two larger than life goals that take years and years to strive towards. You'll definatly keep your means of inspiration that way. =)

I hope this helps a little bit at least. Also, remember that you have all of us here at Theory11. Just think of us as...a really big support group. =)

Shane K.

Sep 1, 2007
Jamestown, NC
www.google.com
The key to copperfield's success is Chris Kenner.;) You have him then your in.

Here's a concept. :)

The key to Copperfield's success could very well be Chris Kenner and who ever else he decided to surround himself with, but if you dig a bit deeper you'll be astounded by what you find.

We all know and recognize that Chris Kenner has one of the most creative/valuable minds in our art, but if you think about it...and I know this will sound very cheesy, but it is the truth.

We are all creative. Any one of us could be the next Copperfield, all it takes is a *bit* of hard work, and BAM...instant Copperfield or whomever you strive to be like, or even if you strive to just be you and nobody else that'll work too.

As humans, we've associated creativity and originality with "genius", when in all reality, it's nothing more than using your noggin'. We all have a brain, that's essentially the key to success.

Just turn it.

Shane K.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results