A few questions for those with knowledge.

Jun 18, 2008
USA
Hi. My name is Ben.

I first became interested in magic about six or seven years ago; I was going through some old boxes and found one labeled "magic stuff"- unfortunately, the only item related to magic inside was a weathered book entitled "Scarne on Card Tricks" by John Scarne, published in 1950.

I immediately took it to my room, grabbed a deck of cards, and started practicing all of the tricks in the book (it was a book filled with tricks not using any sleight of hand). Since then, I've learned from multiple sources, and have developed decent tricks, routines, and sleights of my own (or so I think), adding to my collection of goodies.

I'm mainly a card-magician; I live for close-up magic, the reactions are what hooked me. I've performed a few small shows- walkaround type stuff. Anyways, I have a few questions for you.

The reason for this post

I was wondering if you could answer the following (or, if not, at least point me in the right direction):

1. Where do I go from here? I mean, how would I go about becoming more widely-recognized? I live in Fresno, California (currently a very hot, nonmagical town); how would you suggest actively pursuing shows/etc? The only store/real relation to magic that is near me is Hocus Pocus Magic Shop, an online supplier.

2. As I mentioned before, I've developed what I believe to be original tricks, sleights, and routines. I have somewhat scoured the internet for effects/sleights like mine, and have found nothing. Before submitting them to a store, I would like to make sure that they are, indeed, original. What resources would you guys suggest to me?

3. I'm 17, enlisted in the DEP (Delayed Entry Program) for the United States Marine Corps. I go to basic training on June 15 2009, and will be serving a total of five (possibly six) years of active duty. I'm sure that I will, however sporadically, be able to play with my cards. How do you suppose this will affect any 'reputation' [edit: I am not speaking about my own, personal reputation with other people. I am speaking about any reputation I might gain, say, on a community like theory11. I will obviously be unable to update, etc. while I am on duty.] I might gain from now to then?

Any serious response are greatly appreciated.

EDIT:

Thank you for the thought out responses; however, I'm not sure you guys quite understand me. I'm not asking for a list of books or other sources to learn stuff from; I'm well aware of the books and DVDs I own, and the ones I need to purchase.

In question 1, I'm asking how I would develop a reputation as a performer; Ben Long answered this.

In question 2, I am asking if anyone has any suggested resources for comparing my sleights to other magicians', to see if it truly is original or not. I simply want to know if they have been created by me or not; to see if they have been used in the past by someone else.

In question 3, I'm simply asking what you guys think will happen to my reputation as a card magician (training manipulator/flourisher) online and in, say, my hometown.

Last edited by a moderator:
Feb 28, 2008
I can't answer anything about the first two, but number three will give you the reputation of a being a good human being, regardless of how good your magic is :)

Sep 1, 2007
Hello, Hello.

To start, if you're interested in really good sources for sleight of hand, I would highly recommend the Card College series and The Art of Astonishment.

If you're looking to perform publicly, I would start by volunteering your services to others, perhaps to a community center as a walk around magician for events.

As far as looking to see if your effects and routines are original, I only advise that you look at as many possible different sources as you can.

Here are some good comprehensive sources:

Card College
The Art of Astonishment
Expert at the Card Table
Royal Road to Card Magic
Desouza's Deception
The Paper Engine
The Card Magic of Paul Le Paul
Revolutionary Card Technique

(just to name a few).

As for your reputation and the Army, just keep doing good magic.

Sep 1, 2007
I was wondering if you could answer the following (or, if not, at least point me in the right direction):

1. Where do I go from here? I mean, how would I go about becoming more widely-recognized? I live in Fresno, California (currently a very hot, nonmagical town); how would you suggest actively pursuing shows/etc? The only store/real relation to magic that is near me is Hocus Pocus Magic Shop, an online supplier.

2. As I mentioned before, I've developed what I believe to be original tricks, sleights, and routines. I have somewhat scoured the internet for effects/sleights like mine, and have found nothing. Before submitting them to a store, I would like to make sure that they are, indeed, original. What resources would you guys suggest to me?

3. I'm 17, enlisted in the DEP (Delayed Entry Program) for the United States Marine Corps. I go to basic training on June 15 2009, and will be serving a total of five (possibly six) years of active duty. I'm sure that I will, however sporadically, be able to play with my cards. How do you suppose this will affect any 'reputation' I might gain from now to then?

Any serious response are greatly appreciated.

1. Well, as you mentioned, you have developed some tricks and slights. That is a good way to move forward. The way I see magic is this: think about what you want to do, what effect you want to achieve. Got it? Now develop a method to accomplish that effect.
I would also recommend looking through the classic books (Card college, royal road, expert at the card table, anything by or about Vernon) and seeing if you can expand your repertoire of tricks with classic and streamlined magic.

2. As you've read in my previous question, going back to some classic books is the best way to find out if your stuff is out there. Trust me, there are many great minds out there, who have thought of amazing tricks that we do not even know exists. That would be my advise. However, do not be discouraged, there is the chance that you have created something new. Also, if say maybe you find your moves are not "new" or "revolutionary" you may potentially have stumbled upon a method that fits you bets (amazing feeling when it happens) or the routines you have worked out are actually original, even if the slights used are not.

3. Good luck going to the Marines friend, I admire your bravery. There is a great magician that I know who joined the Navy, and when he returned from his travels he was more skilled than ever, as he picked up techniques and tricks from other countries and approaches from other cultures. Though you may not have this opportunity, I recommend that you study yourself. See how your personality changes through the hardships of life, so you can apply it to your magic. The more you can apply what you have experienced through your magic, the more personal and natural it will appear.

I hope this helps you bro.

Juan Martinez

(ps, I'm from California too btw)

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results