Journal of Nov 23
By Luis Vega

From last journal..

My phone rings...

"Hello?"
"Hello Fabian!! good morning!! how are you" it´s my friend Alex
"Great!! having breakfast"
"Ok...so are you ready for today? aren´t you so excited? I bet you are"
"I am normally excited...why is the buzz about? it´s not a big deal...sure will have a great time, but why are you saying this?"
"So...I guess you havent heard about who is coming to the Festival...you are going to have a met with an old friend"
"I cannot guess who could be...either way, who could come to the Festival that I could care a lot about...unless it´s Diary Of Dreams or Breaking Benjamin"
"jejeje...this will sure make your day...JEFF MCBRIDE IS GIVING HIS SHOW TONIGHT AT THE FESTIVAL!! SO TELL ME, AREN´T YOU EXCITED NOW?"...

"What?!!" are frikin serious?!!"
"Oh yes...it just appeared on the Festival Webpage...and his Twitter Account"
"This cannot be...how can I missed this?"
"Oh...it`s not big deal...it tonight so didn`t miss anything"
"You are right...so see you tonight?"
"Yes...at 7:00"
"meet you at the entrance"

I Still don`t believe this...this has to be one of the best things ever!!...I rememeber the first time I met him in a magic convention here...it changed the way I see magic forever...and we became good friends...we even eat tacos together...that was awesome...

I decide I will give him a gift so I go to a flea market with my dad...after seeing lots of things and hanging around I think is awesome to spend time with my dad...

"So have you decided yet? maybe something with leather..."my dad says
"I don`t know...I want to buy him something that he cannot find on Las Vegas"
"You are right...well how about some candies...and I mean mexican candies"
"that`s a great idea!!" I go ahead and buy some mexican candies...jamocillos, cocadas, amaranto, camote among others..

I also buy a beautiful sculpture of the sun and the moon...I wrap everything in a nice gift bag and get ready to go to the Festival

The Festival
7:00 pm

I arrive and inmediately locate my friend Alex and his girlfriend Alejandra

"Hey Fabian!! so are you ready?"
"well I just hope I can talk to him...and give him this"
"Ok..."
"in the meantime, let`s enjoy!"

I have a great time with my friends watching the ballons and the people...this could be a great place to perform if it weren`t so dark..there is a band playing in the stage and I casually look around and then I see him...just wandering around...of course in the restricted area...I go there..

"Jeff!! Jeff!!" I call him
he just try to find who is calling him...then he sees me
"mmmh...Hello Luis...it`s so nice to see you again!!"
"How have you been?"
"Good!! thanks for asking!!"
"Here I brought you a gift!"
"Oh...you didn`t have to do that!, thank you...stay around"

I see him leave behind the stage...not without him checking the bag and then he shows me a thumbs up...awesome!!

"How did it go?"
"Great!! it`s so great to see him again"
"Good!! you are also going to see another "friend"
"What?"
"Andrew the magician is going to open the show"
"WHAT!!!"
"Oh yes I just find out"
"well...I just hope he does a good act...or at least half as he says it does"

Andrew was a magician I met in a wedding...he is an arrogant, over-hyped guy with superiority complex guy...I totally hated him because he was critizicing what I do and how I was doing it...he was always telling me that he had this show, that he did this and that and that florurishes and mentalism were a waste of time, bla bla bla...although I think he has more experience than me since he is a full-time magician (or at least he says he is) and I thought that maybe his act was worth watching...

After the band ended, a guy busts in and start introducing Andrew to the crowd...in this moment while watching I start hearing a bunch of guys behind me screaming non-sense...just a bunch of stupid teenagers...I hope this doesn`t go further...I was wrong, dead wrong

I see Andrew in the stage and I see a paper rose in his hand...I realize he is going to open with the floating rose...but when I see him...I cannpt believe his appeal...he is wearing a suit and his face is covered with a phantom of the opera mask and has fake eyes like the ones of biokinesis...mmm...interesting...lets see how this goes...

And...then it starts, the guys behind me start yelling things...at this point is somehow funny...Andrew keeps performing and then he proced with a bill switch with a thumbtip...ok, there is aroung 5000 hundred people here...and I don`t think the people in the back saw anything...anyway he continues with a silk trick transforming into an appearing cane...what bothers me here is that the silk has bugs bunny on it...how can somebody with his look can do a trick like this? it just looks incongruent...the guys just keep yelling...it`s starting to be a pain in the ace

He then concluded with a story about how he always wanted to watch the snow and his grandpa telling him non-sense...he then does snowstorm in china...is it me or the whole routine has been done like a 100000 times before with the same story?

His show ends with a row of cold applauses and this guys yelling at him...I must say that it was very painful to watch...I don`t like him, it`s true...but I still thought that if he was arrogant, maybe he had a reason to be...not anymore...I feel sad for him in a way...

He finally ends his show and get down the stage...and then there is a little pause of around 2 minutes...then Andrew introduces Jeff Mcbride as his master...I still can`t believe it...

The music starts and then I see him coming into the stage...since this one cannot be covered or turn off the lights he just start the Mask routine without the intro, where he starts turned around and with the mask in the back of his head...I think you need to adjust yourself to all kinds of stages...and he understand this...

The shows goes on and this guys just keep yelling stupidities...I want to turn around and kick their aces...but I think that would be worst since I will put my friends in a difficult position and we will end out of here courtesy of security...where are they btw?...I turn around and they just dissapeared...if that was a magic trick...then it was awesome!! finally some peace to enjoy the show...

Jeff continues with his show...magic with the metal bowls, the sorcerer`s apprentice and Manipulation...awesome as always...my all time favorite aside from The Masks is the Light routine...everybody claps very loudly

I am so glad I get to see him again...I wait until all the people leaves and then Tony Mejia the organizer of the event recognizes me and let me in...I am just waiting...

"Hello"
"Oh...Hi Andrew"
"How are you doing?"
"Fine...how are you?"
"Oh I am great thanks for asking" and on, and on, and on...the conversation lasts almost half and hour but I have to note that in any moment he asks me "so...what do you think about my show now?" I wonder why...this time I find him more humble and nice...he even gives me a fake brick...I just listen and think that he is a nice guy...when he had a bad show...

Then finally he is out of the room (I can´t recall the name of that room where the artists get ready before a show...if someone of you know...please tell me) and I just go with him and congratulate him

"Luis I am so glad you liked the show...so tell me how have you been?"
"Great Jeff!! I ´ve been busy but great"
"I wanted to thank you for the gift!! the sun and the moon was something very mystifing"
"I am so glad you liked it"

We keep talking and I stay around a bit while he is on an interview...in the meantime I talk to other people there....

"Well I think we can call it a night" Jeff says
"Yes..I think so...I just wanted to step by and say hi"
"Oh!! thank you!! again it was nice of you to come here...I hope to see you again in Las Vegas...you should come to Master Class and have fun with Eugene!"
"I am really thinking about it"
"Great...I hope you continue doing magic as you have been doing until now..."
"Thanks Jeff...It was nice to see you again...See ya"
"Thanks Luis, Have a nice day"

I leave for the night...since this was in a ecological reserve...I have around 7 kilometers to think while I walk to my car...worth it...

DSC03159.jpg

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Luis, Thanks again for sharing your experience. I have had a lot of run-ins with magicians like "Andrew". They will talk themselves up like they are the next big thing and then when you do see them perform live at a show....they look just like every other amateur magician who has some credentials and skill but nothing like they claimed.

I'm glad you go to hang with Jeff again. That has to be fun!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results