A Trick Concept (feedback wanted)

Dec 12, 2012
I have been practising sleights and techniques for a while and I thought I'd put them together in an as yet unnamed trick. It's got a couple of aspects of the ambitious card routine in it, although it differers in some respects. Okay, so here's how it goes:

1. Ask the spectator to select a card. Tell them to invent a magic word or noise that their card will recognise as they hold the card. Whilst you do this prepare for the overhand shuffle control.

2. Using the overhand shuffle control, control their card into 2nd from the top of the pack position.

3. Push off and show the top card (indifferent card) with your free hand stating "that isn't your card is it?". As you do so pull back the 2nd card to injog it before replacing the top card on top of it.

4. Transfer this injogged card to a thumb break as you pass the deck into your other hand, showing the bottom card and stating "this isn't your card either is it?". Place the pack back into dealing position getting a pinky break under the top two cards.

5. Instruct the spectator to say their magic word. Perform a double lift (not a double turnover) in the same manner that you showed the top card earlier (I think this is important for consistency) giving the illusion that their card has now risen to the top. Place the two cards back on top.

6. Remove the top card and place it in the middle telling the spectator that this is their card as you do so.

7. Ask them to repeat their magic word, lift off the top card, and repeat the injogging procedure as explained previously, you don't need to show the bottom card as you transfer to a thumb break, but I usually do something like rub my nose, or gesture just so it looks like an insignificant action.

8. Tell the spectator that you have your own magic word that brings a different card to the top. After saying this word, show the 2nd (now indifferent card) saying "see, it's jumped over your card!".

9. Ask the spectator to repeat their magic word once more and show the top card once again, giving the illusion it has risen to the top once more.

10. Remove this card and place it underneath the palm of your other hand. Turn it over to show the face, saying "that really is your card". Now place it back on the top of the pack. Now pretend to slide this card under your palm, but really you just push off, and pull back the top card with your thumb. The spectator thinks their card is under your palm but it isn't. Now ask them to say their word once again, and tell them that this will make their card disappear. Lift your hand in a pretend palming fashion, so they are tricked into thinking you have just palmed their card off the table.

11. Place your hand back on the table and say "I shall now command your card to reappear". Lift your hand to show that there really is nothing underneath it, and say "oops it seems it really did vanish, I guess that card only listens to you now!"

I think you could carry on with the routine beyond this point, but I think the vanish is a nice ending.

What do you guys think?

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
I think it needs a different script, but this could work. Reading it like this seems a bit ..slow maybe? But I could think of ways to use this sequence and entertain people.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results