Alright, how do you open a deck of cards?

Sep 5, 2019
I've found a number of discussions on how to remove the sticker, but I haven't yet found an answer to this: how do you remove the cellophane? There is almost always a pull strip near the top, but I only very rarely see an actual tab to start it off (without a starting point, that strip becomes an annoyingly weird hindrance). Thirty years opening playing cards, and I feel like I'm doing it wrong almost every time.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Depends on the deck. Cartimundi decks have the pull tab in the middle of the front of the box usually, so it's easy to just use that. Then slide the cello off from there. With USPCC decks the tab is in the side seam, which should make it very easy to use but in my experience does not. I just scratch at it with my nail until it starts peeling back and then pull until it breaks off, then manhandle the cello off from there.

Then I use my thumb nail to tear the seal (if there is one) directly along the side of the box so there's no sticky to deal with when closing the box.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Open the cellophane at the top end by pulling up on the folded parts. Slide the deck out. Use a scissor to trim the cellophane at the point where you want it. I like to cut it above the pull tab, so it covers all of the deck when I put it back in.

For the sticker, push down on the sticker so you can see the curve underneath it. Then cut along the curve and then the sides with an exacto knife. The sticker will be in two parts - one attached to the box and a semi-circle attached to the lid.

Sep 5, 2019
Alright, all decent responses, but I guess I was specifically wondering about the pull strip. What I gather is that it's not very useful, which has been my experience.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results