Anti-Gambling Addiction Ad

Let me start off by saying that I consider myself very new to the world of graphic design and I have to say, I love it. In fact, I hope to go to college for web design. I have been using Photoshop since I was about 12 years old but I never did anything really advanced. I just played around with the filters and layer styles. Over the years I have been trying some harder things.

I was always afraid to show some of my work because I was afraid of criticism. I am now over that fear and for the first time I am showing what I can do. It's nothing spectacular, but I think you'll like it.

I created an anti-gambling addiction ad. I'm not quite sure where this idea came from but I just ended up doing it. So enough with the blabbing and on to the ad. Here it is: http://iiannexii.deviantart.com/art/Gambling-Addiction-108878949
Be sure to click on the image to see the larger version.

So tell me what you think and while you're there, check out my other work.

Gallery: http://iiannexii.deviantart.com/gallery/

Nov 18, 2008
CA
i have never done any graphic designing so you're getting a nice clean opinion here.

I personally really, really liked all the images. especially the gambling one. it gives off a really powerful, dark feeling which is hard to do just through a picture. i also loved the planet one and the shadows in the "annex designs" were really awesome. keep up the good work!

_CC

i have never done any graphic designing so you're getting a nice clean opinion here.

I personally really, really liked all the images. especially the gambling one. it gives off a really powerful, dark feeling which is hard to do just through a picture. i also loved the planet one and the shadows in the "annex designs" were really awesome. keep up the good work!

_CC

Thanks. Means a lot.

timsilva

Elite Member
Nov 18, 2007
California
timsilva.com
The stock image is great, I like what you did with it.

All I can say in the form of a critique is the the letters are difficult to read with those black gradients coming in from the top. The words with black backgrounds behind them like "Gambling" and "nothing" are the most obvious parts where this becomes a slight problem. Otherwise, nice choice of words and colors. ;)

(I'm a web/graphic/interface designer btw, so I have some solid experience with this stuff. Not to say that I'm right, but I think it would definitely improve the overall appearance of your art piece.)

Peace,
-Tim

The stock image is great, I like what you did with it.

All I can say in the form of a critique is the the letters are difficult to read with those black gradients coming in from the top. The words with black backgrounds behind them like "Gambling" and "nothing" are the most obvious parts where this becomes a slight problem. Otherwise, nice choice of words and colors. ;)

(I'm a web/graphic/interface designer btw, so I have some solid experience with this stuff. Not to say that I'm right, but I think it would definitely improve the overall appearance of your art piece.)

Peace,
-Tim

I guess this issue wasn't as obvious to me because I already know what it says but others don't. I'll have to be more careful about that. Thanks a lot for the constructive criticism.

Sep 1, 2007
New Zealand
Only problem is the black gradient at the top. If you are deadset you could try having a yellow black yellow gradient and see what that looks like, otherwise good work. I too am a graphic designer, graduated from College last year :p

Nov 23, 2008
The only thing I can say is just an echo of what the others have said. When I first used Photoshop it was always the text that was the hardest to get right, it always looked out of place. But after playing around a lot you will improve with the text, it's just trial and error really.

I used to use Photoshop just to make those funky pictures in people signatures on forums, don't know if I still have any, if I do I could send you the PSD if you like?

EDIT: I logged into my very old deviantart profile and there are two sigs on there, both from the early days of Photoshopping (June '06)! Not the best really, you can see the font isn't too great!

Check it out: http://tarona.deviantart.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 1, 2007
I like the gambling ad. It looks pretty nice. I like the letters with the black to yellow gradient, but I also agree that it make the letters hard to read. Maybe try adding a very light outer glow layer effect to the letters? Maybe jus the default light yellow color, just so they stand out from the black ever so slightly...

Other than that, good work. Stick with it and I think that you'll do great.

Jun 24, 2008
Harrisonburg, VA
The only real issue I had with the gambling ad was the font/text itself. It just doesn't fit with the image, it feels a bit off. I believe this is an issue that happens to everyone at some point or another and you'll eventually just move past it. No worries :)
I'll post a link to my Dart account from about 4 yrs ago, I'm sure I have things on there that have this issue.

Goodluck :D
D-Art account

The only thing I can say is just an echo of what the others have said. When I first used Photoshop it was always the text that was the hardest to get right, it always looked out of place. But after playing around a lot you will improve with the text, it's just trial and error really.

I used to use Photoshop just to make those funky pictures in people signatures on forums, don't know if I still have any, if I do I could send you the PSD if you like?

EDIT: I logged into my very old deviantart profile and there are two sigs on there, both from the early days of Photoshopping (June '06)! Not the best really, you can see the font isn't too great!

Check it out: http://tarona.deviantart.com/

Sure, I'd love to see the .PSD files if possible. Thanks.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results