Anyone know the name of this ....?

Apr 2, 2008
Hi guys,

just getting back into magic after couple years of break and I was always more of a sleight of hands guy but looking for some mentalism materials with card incorporated.(hopefully somewhere along "coincidence" plot.)
In particular,

I remember watching a guy perform a 3 deck routine where 2 spectators shuffle their designated deck and start dealing face down until a point at which both spec deal deal face up card each and turns out they have the same card. For the finale, the very same card is the only card that is reversed in the 3rd deck.

Really would like to find out the name of the trick or publication it is from so I can properly credit the original creator and perform it more efficiently.
(currently achieving the same method with deck switching and forces but would like to find more hands-off approach. Carrying out 2 deck switches(even with utility items like the Cooler) limits what I wear and distraction to achieve the deck switch just takes away the magic from the audiences)

I think Mr. Brown has done a wonderful variation on this so, if you've got a clue as to where I might be able to find a marketed equivalent of this effect let me know.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jd-ig1kwGFM

Thanks in advance
Cheers,
SL

Dec 29, 2011
If you don't know what the Derren Brown things is already, then you are not ready to perform it. That is a variation one of the oldest, and easiest magic tricks there is.

Apr 2, 2008
WyattSB,

Thanks for your response.
Embarrassingly, I couldn't tell you how its done.

coin and 'miscellaneous' (like ring magic) magic have been my passion for most of my 5 year 'hobbyist magic career'(not including couple years break I had) and while I've subconsciously studied lot of basic card skills/mechanics/concepts down through my friends(they do xcm), I guess I am as good as a layman when it comes to some of the basic mentalism principles.

while one can always make the argument that I should stick with what got me into magic and dig one well etc,
I just wanted to see if I can branch out of my current comfort zone because my audience seem to enjoy my occasional card magic(and mentalism) more than what I do. And to certain extent, I think (even though I'm a hobbyist) being able to connect with your audience and deliver what they want to see is part of our responsibility as a performer/entertainer.

I am always humbled by people out there who are have far greater knowledge, skills and experience and quite grateful that I can talk to people who know better.

I may be nowhere near knowledgable in some aspects of magic but I assure you, I have deep respect for magic and am always ready to learn.
If you don't mind terribly, I would like to ask you if you can direct me to where I might be able to find this 'oldest, easiest magic concept'

I would be really grateful.

Thanks!

Dec 29, 2011
I'm not sure if you know much about Derren, but he is an absolute expert card magician, I mean seriously good, as he was a restaurant magician for a long time before he started doing suggestion themed TV stuff and hypnosis. Like in the video you posted, he will go back to cards or sleight stuff, he just gives them a shiny new presentation to suit his newer style.
Sure you cant tell me how its done, but I bet you know. Excluding that more or less force, more or less predictable choice of the card in the beginning, obviously she'll choose red, shes a woman, she'll probably pick hearts, most likely she'll pick 7, and the mention of the number 3 also makes this likely. The rest is not a mentalism principle, I'm sure you know it, t11 sells it in fact, and it is marketed towards every beginner magician, while yes its usually presented as mentalism, or an impossible prediction. It is a bona fide card trick. It just doesn't look quite like what you would immediately expect it to. Think of similar card plots accomplished by a well known gimmick.
You'll find in the end in fact Jonathon's guess that was made as a joke is surprisingly close to the actual method.

Oct 20, 2008
Austin, TX area
I just wanted to see if I can branch out of my current comfort zone because my audience seem to enjoy my occasional card magic(and mentalism) more than what I do. And to certain extent, I think (even though I'm a hobbyist) being able to connect with your audience and deliver what they want to see is part of our responsibility as a performer/entertainer.
This made my day to read.

I do the same thing, by the way. I dug up an out-of-the-way card effect that forces spectator involvement and a lot of on-the-fly storytelling from my end. It's not the strongest thing I perform, but it's a chance to try giving an audience member some sort of spotlight and uplifting moment.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results