Are laymen really impressed?

Aug 31, 2007
Brendan:

Disagree. Magic isn't "anyone can do magic and astonish people" and "just need misdirection".

jtmorris:

Magicians don't need flourishes to look credible. But flourishes is a way for magicians to look credible. There's a difference.

Again, I want to emphasize my point that before ANY of us go right out and say that flourishes "loses the audience", "goes too fast", is "kinda dumb", "impresses magicians more" or "just showing off", you better have tried it out yourself. And if you gave up because it's "too hard", then SAY IT. DON'T USE EXCUSES LIKE "Flourishes aren't entertaining" or "No use, just lost the audience" to hide your lack of perserverance.

I am not asking everyone to do flourishes, BUT I don't wish to see the same debate over and over again about whether flourishes destroy magic or not. If your flourishes destroy your magic, then you are DOING IT WRONGLY.

Instead of thinking whether flourishes can work in magic, we should think of how flourishes can be properly used in magic. I hope I make sense there.

My first advice in using flourishes in magic: Magic first, flourishes second.

Anymore comments/contributions?

- harapan. magic!

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 6, 2007
Ok. Where do I begin. Well I belive flourishes definitly add to the impact of tricks, and obviously if you are handling cards that much you are into magic. I rarley think anyone strictly just does floursihes and thats it. As far as it incorporates in magic, its adds to the effect just like a nice spread or a fan. Heres a nice example, if I walk up to someone and start doing some insane florishes leading up to a trick these people will see this and will be thinking "wow if hes that good at handling those cards I wonder what else he can do, he MUST be good" It shows people that you are dedicated, and a master of your craft even before you start a trick! Leaving them wondering what awesome trick you will show them, again, thinking "If he can do THAT sweet stuff with cards I wonder how sweet his tricks are!?" I belive it leaves a big impact on laymen IF you dont just stand there flourishing, thats cool too but people are automattically going to EXPECT a trick to follow. So in conclusion I belive that flourishes not only are super awesome cool =) they also have a huge impact on the spectators and definatly add to the performance of a trick and or tricks and the overall skill and credibility of the one handling the cards and performing these things. aka the magician.

Sep 1, 2007
on Theory11.
I've been doing magic for about a year and a half and I'm just getting into the world of serious flourishing. My first flourishing purchase was The Trilogy and I have been overwhelmed by the small Everest of tricks and moves taught in detail... I won't make another card-related purchase for a while. (except for more cards, of course.)

Anyway, back on topic. I think it's just a matter of personal preferance... I like the amount of flourishes to be kept to a level between where it's more than barely noticed and less than extravagant. It's nice to see at least a few flashy moves, but don't over-do it.

-Matt

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results