As a Teacher: Jealousy, Help, or Aid?

Jan 15, 2008
in the royal court
ok one day in school a dude started doing card tricks but they were lame and he said he was a magician, so i decided to "crush" him with my noob skill, and i did, after that i felt kinda bad but anyway now he wants me teach him, but i am afraid he is going to be like buy all the stuff and just learn the ssecret never practice and leave it in the past.. as it has happened before... I havent revealed to him any site like T11 or E or anything, at the same time i wanmt to tell him to have someone to practive with, but i also dont wan to for i guess jealousy or afraid of him not really respecting it dedicating to it...

what should i do?
how can i see if he will dedicate himself?

HELP!?

Oct 18, 2007
I have a friend who is a little into performing magic too out of the 3 close friends I'll test tricks out on. He isn't serious about it but it's something he'll do once in a while, I teach him a few things here and there. It's always good to have a jam session buddy though, maybe teach him a few basic things and see where it goes from there. =] He got started on his own so I think there's a good chance it won't just be dropped. Can't really hurt.

Nov 30, 2007
Midlands, England
Hey, I know exactly how you feel. A friend of mine started doing magic when I didn't really want him to. I was like 'magic's my thing, leave it alone', y'know?
But he continued anyway, and it's not as bad as I'd imagined. It's great to have someone to practice with and talk to. I also make sure he doesn't perform the same effects as me - for one, he might reveal the secret. And he has (eventually) learnt to practice before he performs, but he's still not as good as me, but people at my school know that.

I'd say let him carry on, but lay down some ground rules.

If you need any more help, give me a PM.

=]

Jack

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2007
Decatur, GA
If this guy is cool and you think you might become friends he could be a great person to practice for regardless if he is going to persue the craft himself. I have a good friend who really likes magic but doesn't perform or practice. He has a great respect for the art but is one of those people who has to find out how things are done. The best thing about him is that he is able to find a lot of really good material for free. I know that piracy is bad but he doesn't sell it or expose it he just watches it or reads it for his own interest and then passes it on to me for free because he enjoys watching artists perform live. Plus i get a lot of out of print books on pdf for free that i would otherwise never get.

When he is watching me perform for multiple people he doesn't let anyone know that he knows how it is done and doesn't try to ruin my performance. The best part about this situation is that I have an outside eye on my performance. He can help me work on angles or let me know if I made an awkward looking sleight. Sometimes I can incorperate him into a routine as a plant. See if your "problem" can turn into a benefit!

Cheers!

Jan 13, 2008
Well tell him to learn a simple trick.....like that old "spread the cards, now touch the I dont know 3 of diamonds.....now touch the ace of clubs....now touch the 8 of clubs....then you reveal them to be correct.....see if he takes it and amazes people, see if he adds his own patter and what not...i prefer to work alone, nothing wrong with that..keep that in mind

Oct 21, 2007
www.hi5.com
A problem I had was a new kid moved in my neighborhood. He was into magic also and he started showing some stuff to some people, and as I wasn't surprised they started comparing him to me. It got a little annoying, but after a while it stopped, and I started hanging out with him. It is pretty cool to have someone to practice with.

Find out where he learns his stuff and if it is from the wrong place point him in the right direction. It never hurts to have a magic buddy around where you live because when you flash then he will tell you. Trust me it is so much better than getting caught by a heckler.

Luis

The Dark Angel

forum moderator / t11
Sep 1, 2007
Denver, Colorado
Take advantage of this opportunity.
A magic buddy is better than a magic enemy.

-Brad

I think that The Prestige is a prime example of that.

Recommend books like Royal Road, Card College or Tarbell to him, make sure that he can get a solid learning in the basics.

That's all I've got right now...

TDA

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results