Audience testing tips?

Nov 20, 2013
In another thread I asked for tips on how to build a show. It seems I should have asked for tips on how to audience testing a close up show.

I want a 22-30 minute close up show. Using mainly cards, bills, and coins. I just want to have my 8 minutes of cards test that.. and add to the show over and over before I start diving in and being "committed" to a performance that isn't ready for the show.

What are your tips on audience testing such a shows?

My idea is just to go to a mall, sit down, and start performing my set and adding to what I need to add more time.

Tower of Lunatic Meat

Elite Member
Sep 27, 2014
Texa$, with a dollar sign
In another thread I asked for tips on how to build a show. It seems I should have asked for tips on how to audience testing a close up show.

I want a 22-30 minute close up show. Using mainly cards, bills, and coins. I just want to have my 8 minutes of cards test that.. and add to the show over and over before I start diving in and being "committed" to a performance that isn't ready for the show.

What are your tips on audience testing such a shows?

My idea is just to go to a mall, sit down, and start performing my set and adding to what I need to add more time.

Testing an audience for a show? Test in your room first, then Friends and family.

What is going to be the theme of your show? What is going to be the glue that will hold your show together?

The theme and a critical eye should dictate what tricks would be relevant for a close-up show

If you can take ___bill trick X____ and give it relevance and placement into your show as long as it can fit your shows theme; go for it.
There is nothing worse than a show of tricks that are only strung together by '...and for my next trick!...'

In trick selection; it helps me by analyzing a trick with the question of 'WHY?': Why does a newspaper need to be torn up and restored? Why does a dollar bill need to be Trisected and restored? Why does a coin NEED to jump from one hand into the other?
Why does a signed card need to go from the middle of a deck all the way to the top?

But as far as audience testing. I don't think you're going to be able to take a single trick and use the patter from your show; it'd be too disjointed. You can test the IMPACT a trick has minus the patter, but I think that's the best you can get without being able to test an entire show.

May 21, 2014
Staunton, VA

I tend to go to places like the park or downtown. Malls sometimes get all security-happy on performers and other service-providers who don't go through the proper channels

Nov 20, 2013
Thank you, you two!

I'm agree with the mall statement Pinkman. However, I must test my mall out and see if I will get kicked out. Parks are a good idea. I want my audience to come to me.. however, this may not happen. So I must go to them, parks a good idea. I also remember we live in the same area, Cville, will be my testing grounds. The Downtown mall should be good for testing this out. Any tips on the malls in the area?

You have a good point Mrhurley, however my idea was to test sections of my show. The opener, the card section, then the money portion (the money section is the closer) I am agreeing with your input.

As for the glue of the show Mrhurley, It's a card act using symbolic ties as cards are my passion and my first magic trick I created.

Also my show never uses anything like.. "And for my next trick" which is such an easy way out of building a true routine. Segues, dodges, and weaving.

Colin

Elite Member
Jan 25, 2013
However, I must test my mall out and see if I will get kicked out.

You, and the magic community, would be much better served approaching the the mall for permission instead of preforming until you are asked to leave. Build a relationship with the mall and businesses instead of becoming known as someone that has to be removed from the property.

The mall plus all the businesses in it are potential customers so why alienate them from the start? It is highly unlikely that you would be allowed to 'busk' in the mall and where I live at least you wouldn't be allowed to on the property at all, but you may be allowed to preform for customers if you go through the proper channels.

Remember that a mall is a business and all those stores pay big rent to be there. If you are hoping to keep a shoppers attention for 20-30 minutes that is time that they aren't shopping so it is understandable that security would remove you.

If you make friends with the mall and entertain customers on their terms it can lead to a much more profitable place in the long run

Jan 3, 2015
I started out with friends and family.

Also film yourself and watch it back. If it doesn't entertain you then it probably wont entertain them.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results