Be careful not to lie to yourself

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
On these forums we see a lot of people ask for feedback on fairly advanced moves like color changes, the pass, or false deals. Often what is posted looks wonderful. I have seen a few very "invisible" passes and very "clean" color changes. It's good to receive feedback but we need to be sensitive of a common mistake.

I have put together a small video to illustrate. This is a very mediocre demonstration of a bottom deal. It was filmed simultaneously with a webcam and a handheld camera, it is only one performance. Watch how much "cleaner" it appears with the webcam.

[video=youtube;fmFjLBiYddA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmFjLBiYddA&feature=youtu.be[/video]

I hope you can see the difference. The webcam makes quick moves look instantaneous and invisible. When submitting video clips or critiquing we need to be aware of this. Don't assume that your pass is perfect because it looks good on camera.

Apr 29, 2012
Great point, thats why I make it a point to perform an effect first to some close friends that don't really like magic. They try to find every flaw they can in each trick. If they can't find anything then I know I can perform that for random people. Then after I've tested it with real people, I might put it on camera

goatears,

You make an excellent point. I've noticed the same when I have shot videos using a webcam and then another with a digital camera, this is why I rarely make a magic video with my webcam.

Webcam latency issues FTW!

- Steve

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
Where did you learn it? :) Your bottom deal are very good.

I learned it almost exclusively from the Expert at the Card Table, this one was performed sloppily to illustrate the point. On a good day I'd like to believe it to be invisible even at close range with the naked eye :/

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results