Beginner Please Help!

Aug 12, 2014
i am new to card tricks and i would like some links to helpful videos or dvds that could help me improve in card tricks, thanks!

Feb 18, 2014
Hey your going to get a lot of recommendations of books and stuff, but I personally learn from videos and im fine. I learned variously, but I learned most of my stuff from different guys on youtube although I know thats not the right way it worked for me. I Recommend getting how to do street magic from bad christian also ninja 1 and 2 as well as both crash courses they are on ellusionist.com

Hey your going to get a lot of recommendations of books and stuff, but I personally learn from videos and im fine. I learned variously, but I learned most of my stuff from different guys on youtube although I know thats not the right way it worked for me. I Recommend getting how to do street magic from bad christian also ninja 1 and 2 as well as both crash courses they are on ellusionist.com

I completely disagree. YouTube will teach you wrong and ellusionist is a waste of money, go with card college or something similar

Sep 2, 2007
London
I definitely get that, when you're first starting, DVDs seem like the way to go. And why shouldn't they? Reading non-fiction books about something you're not necessarily passionate about can be a very dry pastime indeed. If I was considering taking up, for example, baking, as a hobby, I'd definitely want to watch some video tutorials to guide me through the beginner stages rather than risk extinguishing the embers of my nascent interest by jumping in to a jumble of (possibly) unfamiliar terms and terse, technical writing.

I promise you this, though, if you find that card magic is for you, you'll definitely want to start reading books. For now, though, I'd recommend that you pick up two DVDs. Oz Pearlman's Born to Perform Card Magic and Greg Wilson's Double Take.

Oz's DVD is aimed firmly at the beginner, taking you through a repertoire of basic sleights and some foundational tricks using those sleights. Even if you just mastered the material on this DVD, you'll be enough of a magician to impress laypeople with a deck of cards.

Greg's DVD takes things one step further. It nominally focusses on one move, the double lift, and multiple variations and applications. While learning those, though, you'll also be exposed to some genuinely technical stuff, presented in a skillful and entertaining way by one of the best close-up performers around. Some of the material may go over your head at the beginning, but that's fine. Think of this DVD as a glimpse down the rabbit-hole. If you like what you see, then maybe you're ready to jump into the harder stuff!

Do not learn from YouTube, though. Just don't. Here are the reasons why:

When you start performing magic, do you want someone to be able to Google the trick you just did and then expose it to the rest of your audience? No? Well, don't support the people who facilitate that.

When you start creating magic of your own and you release a product, do you want someone to take your profits by teaching it (badly) for free? No? Well, don't support the people who do that.

When you have passion for magic and its heritage and history, will you want to see people teaching beautiful material incorrectly and without crediting the true creators, the people whose work you love and respect? No? Well don't be a mark for these con artists then.

Of course, there are some people who legitimately teach public domain material in a respectful way on YouTube. As a beginner, though, do you know the difference? If not, you're better to keep away from it altogether, learn things properly and give yourself a chance to be as good a magician as you can be.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results