Beginner

Sep 29, 2007
Hey Everyone,
I'm a beginner at magic and know some tricks (Saw, King Rising, Healed & Sealed, Panic, Indecent, and some card flourishes). I wanted to know if there are any tricks that aren't really gimmicked that are good to learn for a beginner and are somewhat easy too. Something I may be able to be surrounded while performing, and that doesn't necessarily have to do with cards, I'm not that great when it comes to card tricks. Thanks.

-Jon

Jan 27, 2008
Well, Stigmata is a GREAT trick. That's like the only E-trick I ever perform.

I'd recommend that you'd get yourself some books. For card magic, I'd highly recommend that you'd get Card College for just too many reasons not ever worth explaining. (TONS of illustrations in that series...)

Oh make sure you get two bricks of Black Ghost decks when they come out and shell out your the majority of your savings for Stained Skin and all of the tatoos, too.... :p

..:Z:..

I'd say "The Best Card Trick in the World", its on youtube and you can see it performed (please don't watch a tutorial on youtube though, you can probably figure it out) Its great if performed flawlessly and very easy to do.

Also I'd say 2 Card Monte, not 100% easy (each version pretty much has a tricky or split second misdirection needed) but it's classic and blows people away.

Also find a sandwich effect to perform (I loved D+M's Cameo though the third part is a bit difficult).

These are just some simple but great tricks. I don't own many dvd's, only 2 by E so what I've learned was by figuring out by watching or just playing around with a deck and making something up (though it probably isn't original)

Oh and to just throw this out, learn how to palm well, you can do so much by doing so.

Well hope this helps and you perform some of these.

~PaCo

Jan 18, 2008
memphis,tn
Well, I would first say dont start out with the big tricks. Start out with simple tricks then move up to larger ones. And when you can, buy a big order (from penguinmagic.com, cus they have all of the training dvds) of cards, coins, ropes, and all of the other stuff. But if you cant do that, you can go to your library and check out all books on magic you want to do.

Aug 31, 2007
Go get some books. Royal Road to Card Magic would be best for you. Start from your basics and work up.

Or maybe you can try practising holding a deck of cards neatly and steadily. That's very important.

- harapan. magic!

Jan 14, 2008
philippines
hi i my self is a bignner what actually works are tricks that are simple and straight forward.... im sure your also having a hard time with your patter,just be natural.... be your self... goodluck...

Dec 17, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
I hate when people list their tricks.. gah, it bugs me. *rants*

As others have said, pick up a couple books - some books have much better tricks than anywhere else. You should try tricks that use a lot of your basic stuff (FOUR by Aaron Fisher sorta comes to mind).

As you said, you don't like cards so pick up Modern Coin Magic if that floats your boat. 13 Steps to Mentalism is good if you want mentalism (obviously) but yeah.. I'm not really sure since the tricks you listed have nothing really to do with one another, if you get what I mean.

Good luck.

Oct 12, 2007
Orlando Fl
Control and Digital Dissolve aren't cards and I think can be performed surrounded. I have been looking into the Coin in Bottle plot lately so, although I can't recommend a certain trick but the plot isn't cards and seems like it hits hard. Also the Torn and Restored Card effects are really nice, not exactly cards, but are a lot of fun to do, I recommend Huron Low's T&R Project for that. There are a lot of good books, I heard Art of Astonishment is good and I'm pretty sure it has magic with all kinds of props including cards. So yeah.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results