Best Books for NLP

Dec 13, 2007
North Hollywood
Hello, I am trying to learn NLP especially astuff like embedded commands and the such, where can I learn this, I would prefer DVDs Seeing I am a visual Learner but books work too, does anyone know where I can learn this?

THank you for all the help T11 FTW

Happy holidays =]

Nov 27, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
Any books by Richard Bandler and John Grinder. Also look for Judith DeLozier and Robert Dilts.

Here are some titles........
The structure of magic 1 & 2
Frogs into princes
Turtle all the way down
Applications of NLP

The intro book mentioned has a lot of other references mentioned. If you have any questions, shoot me a PM

In addition - there are videos, the ones I've seen are sets or series that are coupled with a course.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 2, 2007
London
As Heckler said, it's not really possible to learn NLP visually, given that it's to do with the structure of language. I would recommend the early works of Ricahrd Bandler and John Grinder (before Richard Bandler got all messianic about it), or, as a basic introduction, get Sleight of Mind by Ian Harling and Martin Nyrup. However, as a follow-up, if you can get hold of any Richard Bandler videos without spending your life savings, they are useful to get a grasp of the timing and approach in real life.

First off, to answer the guys message above, NLP stands for Neuro Linguistic Programming. Essentially it is how we can program our brains through language patterns.

As for resources in beginning, Richard Bandler and John Grindler are NOT good resources. Bandler is the one who invented and pioneered NLP and speaks on far to much a intellectual level for you to comprehend. You will literally begin to feel your brain dissemble and melt as you are reading his work. The best book bar none is Tony Robbins Unlimited Power. I bought it on Amazon for four dollars in the used section but it was brand new.

Lastly, I hate to tell you, and perhaps should have stated this in the beginning, but it is NOT what you think. You are not going to be able to do any "effects" with it. You are not going to be able to reenact Derren Brown or any of the feats you see via NLP.

I can honestly and straight forwardly tell you, that those who claim their methods lie in NLP and Hypnosis is merely an illusion itself. It is all nothing but clever scripting and powerful presentation.

Now that's not to say that some people do not genuinely use NLP techniques during performance. I use it all the time. It is merely a tool if you will to establish rapport and build a close intimate bond with your spectator. It is not something you are going to be able to read over night, a week, or even months, and then go out and perform magic with it.

I don't mean to rain down on your parade so to speak, I would just hate to see you invest all your time into it and then discover it's not what you thought like I did. Regardless, NLP does have powerful techniques and applications that can heighten any performance. You are more than welcome to PM me if you have any questions at all regarding this.

In short, I would recommend a powerful piece of mentalism combined with a very keen sense to script. Luke Jermay's 7 Deceptions and Scripting Magic would be a good start.

Matt

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Heed Matthew's advice. He's right on the money. 99% of the crap labelled NLP, is exactly that: crap.

"Lastly, I hate to tell you, and perhaps should have stated this in the beginning, but it is NOT what you think. You are not going to be able to do any "effects" with it. You are not going to be able to reenact Derren Brown or any of the feats you see via NLP.

I can honestly and straight forwardly tell you, that those who claim their methods lie in NLP and Hypnosis is merely an illusion itself. It is all nothing but clever scripting and powerful presentation."

Very important to take note of.

As a side note, visual learner means you learn well from books, so technically, you're not a "visual learner". But the information, the real information, is in books.

There is a book called Introducing NLP, which, given my limited knowledge, I do not know if this is the best way to start - but I can say that it is interesting at the very least.

Apr 27, 2008
I don't know much about NLP but if you want to get into more of the kind of scripting/ hypnosis Reality is Plastic by Anthony Jaquin is very cool and really goes into detail not only hypnosis but patter that can help out in other categories.

What the other guys have said about NLP and Derren Brown, I have heard that same type of stuff before on other forums saying that NLP is not what you think so I believe you should heed their advice.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
To paraphrase Andy Nyman - chief consultant on Derren Brown's Trick of the Mind series: "[Derren] blurs the edges... he takes the best of all the worlds he knows". Couple this with Derren writing about psychological direction - the illusion of enormous skill, letting the audience feel and work out that you supposedly use subliminal messages, reading body signals, hypnosis, NLP, etc.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results