Best DVD

C

CruiseH

I want to learn sleight of hand, some card magic, coin magic, flourishing, and being able to perform with confidence, as well as mentalism/ general magic, on one dvd, any DVD like that?

Sep 2, 2007
London
Not that I know of. However, if you were willing to risk the murky depths of the arcane art of reading, then you could get the Tarbell course (now available as a PDF from Conjuring Arts) and be set for life.

Dec 5, 2014
I don't think it's possible to fit that much info on one DVD...or on one DVD set. I can recommend multiple different DVD sets for most of the topics, but all on one DVD; I'm not even sure that's possible.

For Card slights I'd definitely recommend Daryl's Encyclopedia of Card Slights if you can find it available somewhere. I had trouble finding it myself when I was looking, but I finally found someone that was willing to part with the collection for a fairly reasonable price. I think this is one of the best collections of card slights ever put on video.

Card magic has multiple DVDs available, but I'd have to recommend Michael Ammar's Easy to Master Card Mircles. Not sure how many volumes are in this series now and I'm sure I'm missing a few. While he doesn't go into any heavy detail on some of the slights used, he is a great teacher and I enjoyed learning what I did from him.

Card Flourishes I'd recommend Andrei Jikh's Genesis...Excellent resource for the beginning card flourish-er, although by no means the only resource.

Those are my recommendations on the subjects I know about...For the others I'm sure other forum users would be more than happy to give their own advice as well as add on to what I have here.

Jun 13, 2013
Hampton Roads, VA
I started with the Paul Wilson DVD in combination with the book form of Royal Road to Card Magic. Good stuff in there.

Penguin has recently started putting the Tarbell course on video, if you don't want to read it.
Here's a few good resources, I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than me will be able to add/detract from this list.

For Card sleights/tricks:
-Paul Wilson's presentation of the Royal Road to Card Magic
-Michael Ammar's Easy to Master Card Miracles
-Brad Christian's Crash Course

Coin Tricks:
- Not really any substitute for Bobo's Modern Coin Magic. Get it in book and DVD format if I were you.
- I'll give an honorable mention to the 'Metal' DVD set by Eric Jones.

Flourishes:
-Start small with youtube tutorials on the charlier cut, sybil cut, and beginner moves like those. When you're feeling comfortable, maybe check out Andrei Jikh's Genesis.

Mentalism:
-Honestly I don't know much about mentalism, I don't perform it personally. I've read Corinda and Anneman's Practical Mental Magic, which as I understand is a really good starting point for mentalists. I've also watched Peter Turner's Freeform Mentalism, but I haven't tried any of the routines (not a mentalist). From what I understand, Mentalism takes years of practice to master and perform well. I do a couple 'mind-reading' tricks involving card predictions and such, but mentalism as a discipline is one which requires much focused attention.

No one can teach you to perform with confidence, that will come with practice and experience. Learn a routine, practice the hell out of it, perform it your family or close friends, (allow yourself to mess up a few times) then try and perform it for a stranger. If you're anything like me, you'll totally bomb the first few times you perform for strangers. That's okay, it's part of the process and helps develop your performance abilities.

Hopefully this helps a little, perhaps someone with more knowledge can shed some light on this for you.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results