Bicycle cards are too slippery

Mar 15, 2013
Recently I bought a deck of bicycle and before that I have practice with paper and plastic cards. And because of the air-cushion finish the deck is too slippery. I can do the basic flourish but if I tilt my hand and have of the deck falls. The the deck is one day old and I was wondering when they will not be so slippery.

Feb 10, 2013
It is good that they are slippery, you just need to adjust and get used to them. With any deck, they are going to fall when you tilt your hands to the side. It is the laws of physics. But if you really want to ruin them so they don't slide, using sweaty hands while practicing is what ruins them. Just warning you, it is a good thing they slide for fans will not work very well if you de-slippify the cards. (That is not even word but whatever).

Nov 9, 2012
England, UK
It depends on how long you use them and what you do with them, essentially they become less slippery when you have "broken them in", this means shuffling them basically just using them. So after some time (I find its between one week and a half to three weeks, but I use them every single day, from the minute I come home from school till dinner is ready)they will become less slippery, you've just got to be patient and you'll get use to it after a while. Don't you worry :D

Dec 29, 2011
It sounds like you've only used low quality cards, you'll eventually get used to and appreciate good quality ones such as your bikes, and the other decks you will most likely start using soon. As everyone else has been saying just use them, a lot, they'll feel more familiar soon, I'd recommend spreading them on the ground, dropping them on the ground, and very roughly shuffle them, fast riffles, table washing and that sort of thing.

Vinnie C.

cardistry moderator / t11
Aug 31, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I'd recommend spreading them on the ground, dropping them on the ground...

I would not recommend purposefully putting your cards on the ground. Dirt and other nasty things can wreck a deck pretty fast.

If you want to break them in, just use them. That's the only secret. Not to mention that working with a deck that is "harder" to use will ultimately make you a better card handler.

If you want to help make them stay together better even faster, put them into a big paper bag with a small dash of Fanning Powder, shake the bag up for about 20 seconds, and then shuffle, riffle, spring and dribble the deck about 5 - 10 times. The powder will make the cards adhere to each other better, but fans will still be very easy to do.

Best,
Vince

Dec 13, 2013
It is good that they are slippery, you just need to adjust and get used to them. With any deck, they are going to fall when you tilt your hands to the side. It is the laws of physics. But if you really want to ruin them so they don't slide, using sweaty hands while practicing is what ruins them. Just warning you, it is a good thing they slide for fans will not work very well if you de-slippify the cards. (That is not even word but whatever).

Um if you have sweaty hands does it ruin the cards forever. Because my hands are always sweaty and I recently got a Bicycle Zombies deck. And its suddenly not working with fans, at all!
Please help.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Put them in the box, in a cool, dry area out of direct sunlight. Forget about them for a month.

If you have a silica packet, put that with them, too.

You'd be amazed at how nice a deck can feel after being left alone for a month.

Jun 2, 2013
I personally freeze my bikes for a few hours if I want to do card manipulation with them. It kind of softens the stock and makes them more grippy.

Jun 13, 2013
that is because you never use a bicycle deck before and your hands feel rare whit it soo is thing of time

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results