Birthday Money

somecallmetim96

Elite Member
Dec 7, 2013
Dallas, TX
www.youtube.com
So I am turning 18 soon, and I will be getting birthday money from my family. Also, I live in Dallas, and it is getting HOT. So I am looking for something to carry around that aren't cards. Mainly, I want something that can be done generally surrounded and be relatively diverse in it's possibilities. Thanks!

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Coins could go well - copper, silver, brass was already suggested but learning something like a muscle pass can draw attention.

Ring and String material can be pretty killer - finger ring magic in general is great and can vary from your ring to their ring and from there ring and string, ring on stick (pen, straw...anything) and can be really awesome when done well.

I do a lot of rubber band magic too - if you don't already there are dozens of effects that can be done with regular rubber bands.

Recommendations? Get something you think you'll enjoy performing. Just browse magic websites that have tons of videos and see what you enjoy. Figure out what you enjoy about cards - is it the performance aspect of magic or the technical aspect - because coins can get technical and satisfy that need, but other forms of magic can be less technical but equally as awesome to perform.

somecallmetim96

Elite Member
Dec 7, 2013
Dallas, TX
www.youtube.com
Coins could go well - copper, silver, brass was already suggested but learning something like a muscle pass can draw attention.

Ring and String material can be pretty killer - finger ring magic in general is great and can vary from your ring to their ring and from there ring and string, ring on stick (pen, straw...anything) and can be really awesome when done well.

I do a lot of rubber band magic too - if you don't already there are dozens of effects that can be done with regular rubber bands.

Recommendations? Get something you think you'll enjoy performing. Just browse magic websites that have tons of videos and see what you enjoy. Figure out what you enjoy about cards - is it the performance aspect of magic or the technical aspect - because coins can get technical and satisfy that need, but other forms of magic can be less technical but equally as awesome to perform.

Thanks! I tried learning the muscle pass but the largest coins I have are quarters and they are too small to do what they need to do. I will most definitely look into those things.

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Check your bank for half dollars - just ask if they have a few dollars worth of half dollars - they'll trade them evenly if they do - they won't be walking liberties or barbers but they'll be big enough for magic and most people watching won't notice date changes in coins across or anything like that - likewise I think I saw 6 mixed Kennedy halves for $10 on ebay (free shipping) so that's another route.

Once you get good with them you can decide if it's worth the investment to spend more per coin than you are for a full set of non-silver kennedy halves.

somecallmetim96

Elite Member
Dec 7, 2013
Dallas, TX
www.youtube.com
Check your bank for half dollars - just ask if they have a few dollars worth of half dollars - they'll trade them evenly if they do - they won't be walking liberties or barbers but they'll be big enough for magic and most people watching won't notice date changes in coins across or anything like that - likewise I think I saw 6 mixed Kennedy halves for $10 on ebay (free shipping) so that's another route.

Once you get good with them you can decide if it's worth the investment to spend more per coin than you are for a full set of non-silver kennedy halves.

Thanks for the advice, I will look into that!

Jun 13, 2013
Germany
Hey dude,

great to hear your gettin 18 :) (in Germany I could buy every type of alcohol and drive a car but you have to wait a bit longer, my friend :) )
I have made really good experiences with Ignition. Self-contained key you always carry with you on your key chain. The best TnR-Dollar in a Stealth pen fashion out there.
http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/2685

Hope you look into that.
Cheers
Philipp

somecallmetim96

Elite Member
Dec 7, 2013
Dallas, TX
www.youtube.com
Hey dude,

great to hear your gettin 18 :) (in Germany I could buy every type of alcohol and drive a car but you have to wait a bit longer, my friend :) )
I have made really good experiences with Ignition. Self-contained key you always carry with you on your key chain. The best TnR-Dollar in a Stealth pen fashion out there.
http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/2685

Hope you look into that.
Cheers
Philipp

Thanks for the suggestion, I decided to save thirty dollars and take them to a magic shop and ask their opinions. As for online stuff I purchased The Code by Andy Nyman!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results