Bobo. Help please!

Jan 1, 2013
I went to a magic shop and bought the Bobo book, which as I understand is the Erdnase of coin work. I am finding that there is so much in there however, that I am sleightly overwhelmed (pun intended). If I want to get good information/ tricks from Bobo, where should I start?

All the best,

Cameron

Aug 18, 2013
Best DVD on Bobo's Modern Coin Magic Bar None - Starring Ben Salinas. watch the dvd and follow in the book http://www.thecuckoosnest.com/zenca...age=product_info&cPath=54_84&products_id=4515
I don't want to appear negative, but I would not suggest following Jeffrey's advice. I think you should instead learn the basics (i.e. Palms, Vanishes, and Switches) then learn the classics Coins across (I think J.B.B calls it Winged silver), coins through table (even if you rarely perform at a table, lapping is essential to becoming an expert coin man. Also when you can sit and lap Coins through table is astonishing), and winged silver. also do not listen to other people, meaning if you want to watch a DVD go ahead, or if you want to read and study on your own do it. Don't let anyone hamper your magic.

Good Luck
Qlancy

I dont see it as negative or as a slam, but if the OP is overwhelmed by the slights in the book as he stated in not so many words. A dvd companion would be a great way to not only read the slight but to see it done properly. The magicmakers dvd set is voted as best Bobo set on many threads of magic boards I frequent and since I own both it and the book, I have to agree. If you dont undestand a slight in the book, the dvd will probably be able to help fill in the blanks.

Other than that, I do disagree that lapping is essential to becoming an expert coin man. There are many who I would consider expert who do the majority of their coin magic at chest level and do little if any lapping. Lapping is a utility move just like sleeving or palming. Therefore intechangable in many if not most cases.

Some people learn better from books, some learn better from visual aids - dvd, vhs, being shown... but the best way is a good use of both if only for clairification on certain moves. And there are dvds out there that are not as well done as others therefore you must sometimes rely on the opinion of others to know which ones are better made.

Aug 18, 2013
I dont see it as negative or as a slam, but if the OP is overwhelmed by the slights in the book as he stated in not so many words. A dvd companion would be a great way to not only read the slight but to see it done properly. The magicmakers dvd set is voted as best Bobo set on many threads of magic boards I frequent and since I own both it and the book, I have to agree. If you dont undestand a slight in the book, the dvd will probably be able to help fill in the blanks.

Other than that, I do disagree that lapping is essential to becoming an expert coin man. There are many who I would consider expert who do the majority of their coin magic at chest level and do little if any lapping. Lapping is a utility move just like sleeving or palming. Therefore intechangable in many if not most cases.

Some people learn better from books, some learn better from visual aids - dvd, vhs, being shown... but the best way is a good use of both if only for clairification on certain moves. And there are dvds out there that are not as well done as others therefore you must sometimes rely on the opinion of others to know which ones are better made.
In the middle paragraph you basically said that palming is not essential.

Qlancy

Jan 11, 2013
Dubai
Ive never seen Bobo as a strict teaching guide such as EATCT or Royal Road ect. I view it more as a reference/encyclopedia of moves. So if your learning a trick and it tells you to use the *** move and you don't know how, turn to Bobo and it will be in there somewhere.

If you want to use it in the same manner as a normal teaching book check out the link below. Its a great study guide, giving you advice how you read, learn and progress through the book.

http://www.magicbunny.co.uk/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=37160&hilit=Bobo+study+guide

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results