Bottom Deal Disappointment

May 3, 2008
Was anyone else disappointed. It was an ok video but I felt it was more giving tips to people who already know the deal. I'm definitely not gonna be able to perform this anytime soon.

Dec 3, 2008
Well of course you're not going to be able to perform quickly after learning it, I've been practicing it for a couple months and I still don't have it right. Don't give up keep trying.

- Ben

Aug 31, 2007
Like anything in life, it will take practice, this move especially, being such an advanced technique. However if you put enough time and effort into it, I am sure you will find it very useful.

Ashrei

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2007
I've been practicing bottom deal for about half a year. Now I can get away with it with proper misdirection. It's not something I can do for gambling demo or something, but it took that much practice just to get it down that much. Bottom deal was never an easy move. You have to move your fingers right, hold the deck right, and all those things that your hand is just not used to yet. It will take practice.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
The Bottom deal isn't a sleight that you'll learn in like a week or so. It should take you about the same time as it does for a decent Second Deal. Which is supposedly 6 months to a year.

D

Deleted member 2755

Practice.....Practice.....Practice....

-Doug

Nov 10, 2008
Upstate NY
It's also important to learn from other things other than just Jason's bottom deal video!

He doesn't list all those sources for nothing, it's not the be all to end all moves.

The Bottom deals mechanics aren't that hard, it's just how well of a convince[er] you are at the move, which comes with PRACTICE!!!

Sep 2, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
Was anyone else disappointed. It was an ok video but I felt it was more giving tips to people who already know the deal. I'm definitely not gonna be able to perform this anytime soon.

if you posting this 6 hours ago indicates that you've recently purchased the 1-on-1, then I have to totally disagree wtih you...

I picked this up just 3 days ago and feel that it was directed to the total noob, and was absolutely appropriate teaching for someone who's never tried a bottom deal. The nuances shown is actually a progression as to the best way to learn the bottom deal.

Yeah the vid quality was great, consistent with anything else T11 puts out; the teaching was excellent too. It being the caliber of slieght that it is, there wasn't a lot of humor or that sense of levity that you get with other T11vids. Jason strictly concentrates on content, teaching, and nuances to get a noob started with the bottom deal. Moreover, after your done with the content in the 1-on-1, I bet if you spent time with Jason, he can THEN give you a dozen more nuances and tips to further your handing of your bottom deal, and show you 7 or 8 fundamentally different bottoms.

There also might be some psychological factors in purchasing an "advanced" sleight without being totally sure if you're ready for it. When Jason taught the original Erdnase grip and I couldn't do it my first try, the sense of biting off more than I can chew definitely sunk in. But also in the last 3 days of playing with the Bottom Deal Erdnase-style I've already found some lessons that he said was inherent in the grip:

1. the best placement of my second finger on the deck to provide best left-downward pressure on the deck
    2. best placement of my thumb providing right-upward pressure on the deck
    3. the least amount of pressure to apply to the deck and still be able to have complete control of the deck.
    4. though I'm going to stick with Jason's advice to stick with an unmodified Erdnase grip for the next 2 weeks, I've now got the gist of what direction to apply pressure with my forefinger and thumb in a mechanic's grip to control the deck

just to name a few.

Give yourself some slack: if you're as good as Jason, he mentioned in his audio cast that it took him 3 years of daily practice before he was comfy enough to add this to his performances.

If you're like, "Sheesh, this is going to take me a damn long time to get this...", well, "Welcome to the Bottom Deal, son!" is all I have to say, and I think everyone else who's ongoingly working on the bottom will say the same thing.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results