Bottom deal

May 23, 2010
Hi, I'm antonio. I'm new on this forum, so I'm here to take counsel to you.
I 'd like to understand if it is possible to eliminate sound when I deal bottom cards.
I have moreover some problem with the grip and so I'd like to understand what is the corret way to grip deck.
I ask for you to be very clear in describing the grip...... thanks!!!!!!!!!

May 2, 2010
New York, New York
I 'd like to understand if it is possible to eliminate sound when I deal bottom cards.
I have moreover some problem with the grip and so I'd like to understand what is the corret way to grip deck.

I am assuming you are doing a strike bottom because thats the only time I get any type of sound if any. I also havent yet seen a book address a noise issue with the bottom deal, Mostly second deal (ed Marlo RCT). Try beveling the pack a bit. It could reduce some friction and thus some noise. Look into push off bottoms. I have been working on them lately and dont hear noise from breaking loose the card.

The second part of your question is to broad for me to tackle and a answer you may not want to hear. First off there is no definate grip. There are many diffrent ways to hold a deck that you can preform bottom. Theres the Mechanical, Master, Erdnase, S.F grip (original/Maskelyne and Modified/Ed Marlo) and these are just the ones I know. Most books teach the Mechanical. Research them and see what fits you.

Hopes this helps. Prob someone whos been at it longer can help or if your lucky Jason England.

Mike

Jan 5, 2010
Alabama
Buy Jason England's 1-on-1 on the Bottom Deal. It will tell you everything you need to know about it.

I've noticed while doing the Erdnase grip, I get a some sound that I'm not fond of, but I think that will go away with practice. Also the deck will slip down your hand with the more bottoms dealt. You could just reposition while dealing off the top, or take less bottoms. It wasn't a move meant for dealing bottoms one after another.

My favorite grip that I'm practicing right now is the Gene Maze grip (again, taught by Jason). With this, I get very little noise, and find it sounds just like when I'm dealing off the top.

He also goes over his mechanics grip bottoms, which is an amazing grip.

Like I said before, I would strongly recommend this 1-on-1. If you don't want to get that, then pick up the book "Seconds, Bottoms, and Centers" By Marlo.

Last edited by a moderator:
May 23, 2010
I use a particular grip.
I put my forefinger and the middle finger on the corner of the deck to cover movement (a few like in the erdnase grip) and then the little finger behind the deck (like in one hand cut) to get a steadier grip.
But the sound of the last card is a little different by the sound of the top card.
I already watched some videos on youtube about bottom deal and I found that a lot of them use to remove the audio of the video not to have different sound listened to.

Feb 16, 2009
South Bend, IN

I too am practicing the bottom deal and I can tell you what I've learned so far. Usually, strike bottom deals are the ones that produce a distinct noise. If you are doing a strike bottom deal, it requires a lot of practice to reduce the noise. You have to be able to hold the cards in a relaxed manner but at the same time, not hold them so loosely that multiple cards get pulled out when you strike the bottom card (This is something I'm still working on).

You could try a push off bottom deal to try and eliminate the sound. However, with push offs, you have the problem of visible finger flash, which tips off the fact that you are dealing from the bottom of the deck.

As far a grips are concerned, there are many out there. You could start with the Erdnase grip, then move on to other grips. The grip in expert card technique is an interesting one for strike bottoms. Marlo's master grip is definitely worth studying. The Gene Maze grip was mentioned by Robert Livingston (he misspelled it as Jean Mays). There is also the Dr. Elliot bottom deal (good for people with large hands). You have to spend a lot of time studying these grips and figuring out what works best.

The basic idea with most bottom deal grips is that you should be able hold the deck between the base of the thumb and one finger, while the other fingers are free. The standard texts will give you the necessary details.

Jan 5, 2010
Alabama
The Gene Maze grip was mentioned by Robert Livingston (he misspelled it as Jean Mays)..

Thanks for the spell check descartes, I edited it :p

It sounds like you doing a straddle grip bottom deal (something that a beginner in bottom dealing uses because it's easy). It's a strike bottom, and an unusual dealing grip. I don't think I've ever seen ANYONE at a card table deal like that.

I guess you could keep going through YouTube to find the right techniques, or you could purchase a book that descartes and I mention in our posts.

I would go with the latter if you really want to learn a bottom deal. It's not something that you can pick up in a day. I've gotten my strike bottom deal to sound like it's coming off the top, because for me the loosening action makes noise when I'm dealing fast and don't have the proper time to loosen for a good take.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results