Business Card Help

Jul 21, 2009
Townsville, Australia
Hi guys I've been playing around with a design lately for business cards. But I'm not entirely happy with it at the moment, and i was hoping if people could give me some constructive criticism. Like what i should add/takeout, change, color etc, etc.

Link: http://yano1986.deviantart.com/#/d38golk
My card isn't like for professional use, as I'm not a professional magician. But i'd like to use it to try get some gigs around some places Smile

I'd like to see some business cards of other people's, since i really didn't find much on the net to get an idea how a card should look. So if you could link or show me some other magician business cards that would be great. :eek:

Jan 21, 2011
Though i no not much in the ways of busness cards, I think this one is very well done. It seems very sound design wise. I really ilk ethe icons for the phone and email. makes the card multilingual as well. I am assuming that is on purpose.

Red

I like the overall design of your card. IMO very original. My only criticism is that it doesn't show that you are a magician. I know that may not seem like a big deal but it matters in my opinion. I say that because when you give someone a business card, usually they will look over it then place it in there purse or wallet. Down the line when they are looking through their stuff, they come across your card, I understand that some people may take your picture and the icons you have posted and may be able to realize that your a magician, but what about those who don't? I think it would benefit you more just to add that to your card, I'm not saying it has to be HUGE and be the main focus of your card but maybe just include it under your name. So now if someone comes across one of your cards they put away, it will be obvious to them that you are a magician. I just thought I would throw in my .02 cents but I really do like the design of your card.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
The design is very nice. For some reason I think the top hat looks cheesy but that is just my opinion. I would rather see the top hat gone and under your name have either the word "Magician" "Entertainer" or something along those lines.

Also when choosing your card stock...do not go the cheap route. Pay good money to have a nice thick card stock that holds up well.

Dec 26, 2009
The design is very nice. For some reason I think the top hat looks cheesy but that is just my opinion. I would rather see the top hat gone and under your name have either the word "Magician" "Entertainer" or something along those lines.

Also when choosing your card stock...do not go the cheap route. Pay good money to have a nice thick card stock that holds up well.

I agree 100%. I feel like the top hat is a little cheesy. You definitely need it to say something along the lines of "public/private entertainer - magician" or something like that. I would put the public/private part just so people interested know that you are available for both public events and private events like weddings.

Sep 1, 2007
I have a weird issue with putting your photo on the card, but then again I have a strange style of everything. Also, there's sort of a minimalist movement picking up momentum that you might want to consider. All "modern" art/fashion etc is very minimalist, you might want to consider cleaning it up a little, with not so much "pizzaz". Again, just an opinion.

The thing about business cards that's transfered over from mainly Japanese influence is that you treat them with the same professionalism as your business, anything deemed as cheesy on the card with reflect directly on you and what you do. Anything seen as too "cliche" or "cool" may be interpreted as childish from a professional standpoint. Make sure everything on your card represents you and your performance style as much as possible.

The job of the entertainer is to adapt to the trends of society, many magicians still wear suits to their shows, like they're going to their desk job. Observe modern performers and don't be afraid to be edgy. This applies to everything about you, including business cards.

Good luck!

Jan 21, 2011
If I am correct and not just really rusty. The katakana Japanese characters under the name is once again the name of the magician. Just written in Japanese. All in all I think this is very representative of the younger Japanese generation and would be viewed as such by a professional, but as I was just a Japanese minor in school I could be very wrong. Studying a culture and living it are two very different things. On the subject of adding entertainer or magician to the card I think it may change the multiligual aspect of the card. The use of iconography really lets the card jump linguistic barriers. Not that that is the pulled but it is very cool and unique in that fashion. I think even without the words if it is produced in a truly memorable and magical way when a person sees it again they will remember who and how it was given to them.

Red

Jul 21, 2009
Townsville, Australia

Thanks everyone for the great feedback. I've changed the design a bit accordingly to the feedback. The links are below.

Ye I will be forking out the extra cash to get a good stock for the cards :). The Japanese Katakana below my name is just my name written in Japanese.

Ye i agree the hat might seem a tad cheesy, I'm still thinking whats the best, maybe even removing it. I kinda want to have a little bit uniquey type thing i thought the hat looked a tad different to others. I saw Larry Jennings business card gave me quite a inspiration, its quite cheesy like a rabbit and a top hat, but i think it was well designed. I might even design something in inspiration of his work. Larry Jennings Business Card

There's a few things I'm not sure about such as where to put the 'magician" text under the name seems ot cluster it too much. The hat still working on it, maybe even remove or just draw something else up. Also tried removing the icons too, to see how it looks,

Hat Change (White), Magician Text,
Link: http://yano1986.deviantart.com/#/d38lu8m

Hat Change (To blend in), Icons Removed, Color seems to be dulled (not intentional)
Link: http://yano1986.deviantart.com/#/d38kezq

Last edited by a moderator:
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results