Carbonaro Effect

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Hey guys,
Would love to hear your thoughts and opinions on Michael Carbonaro's new show called Carbonaro Effect. I've DVR'd a few episodes and really like this style of show. I know David Regal and Johnny Thompson are in on it. Are there any other magician producers in on this that anyone knows of?

You gotta love David Regal having Michael use the Clarity box in the one episode to guess the spectators name and his number guess. I own this effect and love it. I will say that they do have the prime set up spots where he is mostly behind counters where helpers can hand stuff up to him as needed.

I'm finding that even a bunch of my coworkers, my wife, kids, everyone I know is starting to catch wind of this show and they are liking it.

hudsonhufham

Elite Member
Feb 8, 2013
I have not seen the show yet but apparently my great aunt is on the show when Carbonaro is in a post office. I wanna see it

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
I've tried to watch it but so far it has failed to hold my interest.

I should really give it a better chance but it just seems to be pushing things down the "magicians are tricksters" route.

May 25, 2014
This show is like Don't Trust Andrew Mayne . But Andrew Mayne is way better performer and magician than Michael Carbonaro.
Overall Carbonaro Effect has nothing new in concept or magic. Most of what he does are gimmicks.It's a GAG show.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 5, 2013
Boston
I really like the show. I think that it is the most "honest" magic show I'v seen. By that I mean that when they could have edited out "moves" they left them in and as far as I can tell they don't use stooges.

In response to Master of Deception's post, he is nothing like Andrew Mayne in my opinion. Though they are both prank shows, Andrew's show is incredibly mean spirited and I certainly hope they are using stooges because if they aren't he is a terrible person. Robbing people and blowing up their possessions isn't magic, it just a crime. Also, to say that most of what it does uses gimmes is simply a silly comment. Of course, there are gimmicks, what doe you think every magician uses? Real magic? Or only slight of hand?.

In response to ChristopherT, I understand what you are saying in terms of "magicians are tricksters" though I feel that it is all lighthearted and that that comes across well to the viewer (unlike Andrew Mayne). I hope you give it another try because I really want another season :)

-Isaac

Nov 1, 2013
Isaac, in response too what you said, I half-agree, I tell myself that once the cameras aren't rolling, he comes back and gets the persons stuff back, but yes, it still is mean spirited.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Great thoughts and perceptions guys. I have not seen Andrew Mayne's version but will have to check it out as well. I wonder if he went that route as more of a "attention seeking" show sense he kind of fell out of the limelight a few years back.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
In response to ChristopherT, I understand what you are saying in terms of "magicians are tricksters" though I feel that it is all lighthearted and that that comes across well to the viewer (unlike Andrew Mayne). I hope you give it another try because I really want another season :)

-Isaac

Magic has been used to start religions, create amazing oratory, pass down cultural lessons, stop wars, influence world leaders, etc.

Now it's used to make prank shows.

And then magicians wonder why no one takes them seriously.

I thought Andrew Mayne's show was uninteresting as well. These types of shows are taking magic to the most base level of entertainment possible.

Dec 5, 2013
Boston
Thats a really good point, I never thought of it that way.

I feel that your point also leads into the struggle between "fault" when it comes to magic not being taken seriously. For example "is it that magicians fault if the spectator doesn't take us seriously?" I would say that it is our responsibility/fault.

Anyway, sorry to get of topic. Thanks for you contribution ChristopherT.

-Isaac

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results