Card Control

Jan 24, 2011
Oklahoma
I'm looking for different ways to control a card from the top of the deck to the bottom. I know one method called "Death to the double undercut". Are there any other methods, and if so, what are they called? Thank you.

Dec 20, 2009
Mumbai, India
Well, seeing as this is your first post, Id like to start off by welcoming you to the forums. Theres a great community here, very helpful. Im sure you'll learn alot. I hope you enjoy your stay.

For controlling cards from the top to the bottom, My favourite would be a control using a simple overhand shuffle (can be found in Royal Road to Card Magic.

Hope this helps

- Jenai

Jan 24, 2011
Oklahoma
Thanks for the welcome, I've only been practicing magic for about 5 months now, so there is a lot for me to learn. I will defiitely check out that shuffle. Thank you so much!

Nov 2, 2007
Norway
I don't know why it's called "death to the double undercut" because it doesn't do what a double undercut does. double undercut makes the card go from the middle to the bottom/top. death to the DU makes the card go from top to bottom or bottom to top. am I just missing something here?

Anyway, shuffles are the best way. Some people especially here in Norway aren't as familiar with "cuts" unless they have played poker. Everyone knows that shuffling the card mixes them up. A simple overhand shuffle does the trick, but don't do it over and over because it can get a bit obvious after a few shuffles. That is if they look at the deck all the time. That's why you need to learn it without looking at the deck and while you talk.

Jan 24, 2011
Oklahoma
Thanks for the advice NlighN. I have been practicing my overhand shuffle a lot. Still a ways to go too. I'm not sure why it's called "death to the undercut". Maybe "move this card there" was taken ;) btw, love the siggy. Thanks again.

My favorite method is the convincing control. The reason being (for those unfamiliar with the move) is that it leaves a card outjogged in the middle, so the spectators are convinced that their card is in the middle of the pack but it's really on the bottom. Great move. Since you never mix up the cards and you leave "their card" outjogged, it really hammers it home to the spectator that there's no way you can control the card. You can set the deck down with the card outjogged and cleanly push it into the middle, and unbeknownst to them, it's already on the bottom.

Jay Sankey teaches an easy version on some of his dvds (Extremely Ambitious being one of them). My favorite version though is Ernest Earick's one handed convincing control as it positions the card for a perfect bottom palm. That's in his book By Forces Unseen. I also know on dan and dave's site there is the new AP Spread Control but I have only seen the demo so I can't say if it's good or not (but it does look quite good that's for sure).

Hope that helps! And I'm also sure you can find it on youtube or something.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results