Card magic?

Mem

Dec 23, 2016
Whats next after royal roads to card magic.?

The tricks on that book was just fine but not that powerful. I think royal roads focus on introduction of the basics.

If possible, is there a DVD more like a moderm one that focuses on tricks?. That only.requires begginer to intermediate skills?
It will be more helpful if its a dvd

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
There are a lot of great effects in Royal Road -- don't overlook them.

What is next depends on where you want to go. Do you want to do "Street Magic" where you are performing standing up without a table? Do you want to do card magic that requires a table? Are you looking for quick effects or more drawn out plots? Do you want self-working effects, simple effects requiring one or two sleights or more complicated effects? Are you willing to use gaff cards, set-up, etc. or do you want to be able to go from a shuffled deck. Also, what is your budget?

Mem

Dec 23, 2016
There are a lot of great effects in Royal Road -- don't overlook them.

What is next depends on where you want to go. Do you want to do "Street Magic" where you are performing standing up without a table? Do you want to do card magic that requires a table? Are you looking for quick effects or more drawn out plots? Do you want self-working effects, simple effects requiring one or two sleights or more complicated effects? Are you willing to use gaff cards, set-up, etc. or do you want to be able to go from a shuffled deck. Also, what is your budget?
I like street magic and self working effects :) can you suggest books or dvds ?

Yeah i think i did overlook the royal roads. But once i get to that volume on double lifts the trick became better :)

Mem

Dec 23, 2016
I want to do all of them. But i think im gonna start at street magic and magic that requires table :)
Can you suggest dvds sir? Or maybe books?

The only problem for me when using books is sometimes its confusing for me.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Books can be difficult, especially books like Royal Road which were written in the 1940s. However, there are some great tricks in there. Poker's Player's Picnic, Designed for Laughter, Do as I Do, Intuition with Cards and Ewephindit. My reccomendation is to read through the book first and then learn the tricks that appeal to you. As you may have read in other posts, I typically recommend the Card College Books because they are much easier to learn from than Royal Road. The first two books were written to be a complete course in card magic and then there were three more books.

The problem with DVDs is that you learn 8 to 10 tricks for $29. There are some great effects on DVDs, but I've rarely found DVDs that I get more than one or two tricks from. With a book, you get 30 to 50 effect (sometimes more) for anywhere from $10 to $50. I tend to only buy DVDs when they go in-depth for a certain prop (e.g. sponge balls, cups and balls, linking rings, etc.).

For self-working magic, get Scarne on Card Tricks. Ignore the presentation and look at the effects. You could perform a whole show from there. Other books with self-working material include Encyclopedia of Card Tricks (rewritten by Jean Hugard of Royal Road), any book on cards by Karl Fulves, Card College Light, Lighter and Lightest and John Bannon's Destination Zero. The Card Magic of Nick Trost and Nick's Subtle Card Creation series are almost self-working.

For Street Magic, the best books are Paul Harris's Art of Astonishment series. The first book is around $33 -- so for the cost of a DVD you get 10 times as many tricks. There is some great stuff -- Unshuffling Rebecca, Color Stunner, Solid Deception, Reset, Las Vegas Leaper and a lot more. Plus, you get a whole bunch of stuff that doesn't involve cards. HOWEVER, a lot of Paul's work requires some basic knowledge (i.e. you need to know several methods of controlling a card to the top of the deck, how to do a double lift and various shuffles) and a good amount of confidence performing.

I'm sure others can recommend DVDs and downloads.

Jun 13, 2013
Prior to RO mentioning the Card College series, it was the first set of books that came to my mind as well. However, if you're wanting dvds, Roberto Giobbi also has a four volume dvd series based on his books with the same name.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results