Card Palming technique

Jan 16, 2024
Hello everyone, I have some questions that I can't find answers to. I am reading the royal road of card magic and I have come to the chapter on palming. The questions are: 1) It seems to me that the authors have presented tricks that can be done in front of a single spectator. I would like to perform tricks in the street or in situations where I am surrounded by people, so how can I use the palming technique in this situation? The authors said that with this technique you should keep your hand on the deck after doing the palming for a while and then only then move your hand away to do what you want, but how is this applicable in the situation where I want to perform magic? The people standing to my left will see the card in my hand. 2) Assuming I need another technique for palming in this situation, what technique should I use ? More importantly, what is the purpose of teaching a technique that only works for one spectator? Maybe I'm missing something, because if palming is not possible to use with people around us, why was it invented?

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
Good questions!
Palming is not angle proof, but has a very good range. Working restaurants or banquets, it easily decieves a table of people, but you must manage your audience. This applies to many effects.

When choosing magic for being surrounded, you must select from a pool of effects that meet that criteria - but don't discount effects that require different audience management - there's a lot of incredible stuff out there!

And like you mention, there are a number of different palms that have different angles. Choose whichever is best for the situation!

Keep it up!

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
The thing about palming is that it's really a psychological technique as much or more than it's a physical technique.

What do I mean by that? Simple - if you don't want people to realize that you're palming something you have to make it psychologically invisible.

Some context - I have relatively small hands. A standard, poker sized playing card takes up my entire palm up to the first joint of my fingers. I remember doing a trick where I would palm a card and then with that same hand riffle through the deck at eye level with the spectator and not get caught with that palm. I used it as a peek. The reason I didn't get caught was that I had them laser focused on me and they never registered that they could have easily seen the palmed card if they were looking for it.

Juan Tamariz has a routine he does with coins where he is palming a coin and at one point, holds that palm towards the audience in a "just a moment" kind of gesture - with the coin palmed at the time - and no one sees it because they're all focused elsewhere.

So - to summarize - Make sure the audience is not looking at your hands and palming is a wonderfully effective technique.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results