Cardistry and XCM: What is the Difference?

Aug 31, 2007
Michigan
Cardisty (Dan and Dave) are full of followers who think Dan and Dave are the best thing to happen in card flourishing, ever. Dan and Dave do create a lot of two handed cuts that can just be known as "complicated". A lot of their stuff is more complex and confusing.

XCM (De'vo) I just see as less complicated as Dan and Dave moves.

Sep 1, 2007
Cardistry is cuts, flourishes and such.

XCM is Manipulating cards. Not just cuts, not just flourishes.

Manipulation. Fans, not normal cuts, armspreads, etc.

Flourishes are more elegant and different ways to use techniques of cutting to make something amazing

XCM is more daring, more trial and error.

I don't think their is much of a difference I guess what they do and their styles they do appear different. But I wouldn't refer to cardistry as dan and dave. Think about Brian Tudor, Chris Kenner (Sybil and all that stemmed from that), Daniel Madison. I don't think its fair not to give any credit to all those artists that have done so much. That's like saying what's the difference between Red pipped Tiger Deck and All White? Their Design varies but they are alike in many ways and serve the same purpose and it's not fair to say Tiger Deck(Brad Christian) without giving credit to the creator of the first playing cards. (who knows)

See what I mean?

Everyone has contributed a lot and you can't just name one person when so many people have contributed. (even if Dan and Dave are incredible and I love their style. I love so many other peoples creations to, and a lot of what the Bucks have created has been stemmed off some ideas from other people.)
Think of what the sybil has done...... Yet not one person says Cardistry (Chris Kenner)

Hope I didn't offend anyone just wanted to get my point across.

Happy Holidays,
Michael

Sep 1, 2007
what the???

The difference is ONLY this:

XCM was a term invented to describe non-magical manipulation.

De'vo says Cardistry is a 90-year-old term for MAGIC with cards, that Richard decided he liked the sound of, and decided to apply the same definition as XCM.

you could also say flourishing.

Jul 23, 2007
New York, NY
Cardistry is a 90-year-old term for MAGIC with cards, that Richard decided he liked the sound of, and decided to apply the same definition as XCM.
Okay let me hit this one off first. This is one of those things that people believe just because they're told. Trashmanf had never heard of "cardistry" before he heard this fact. So it's just hearsay for him.

When I thought "cadistry" would be a good term for this art, I'll be honest -- I had NEVER heard of this term being described for magic. Neither had anybody on Decknique. In fact, nobody brought it up until one person did months later. When I told the theory11 crew about Decknique, NOBODY brought up that it was a magic term. A crew including Chris Kenner, Lee Asher, Aaron Fisher? Seems like, although a few people may have used cardistry to describe magic in the past, it NEVER caught on. And so it is NOT really considered a word to describe magic. One person has recently used the word "cardistry" in their magic book, but this is the first time in how long, and was done a year after Decknique introduced the term for the non-magical art.

It is absolutely wrong to think that cardistry means cuts and XCM means no cuts. This is not the intended purpose of EITHER of the terms! Anybody who tells you such does not know what they are talking about and are simply guessing.

Cardistry and XCM in fact intend to essentially describe the same art: the non-magical, artistic manipulation of playing cards.

The reason most people link XCM to no cuts and Cardistry to cuts is simply which camps have used which terminology to define the art. De'vo has an absolute policy to use XCM on his products and boards, and requires anybody who posts on his forums to use the XCM term as well (last time I saw). So when people see XCM, they think of De'vo.

The term "cardistry" was introduced on Decknique, the largest "non-magical, artistic playing card manipulation" community until it joined with theory11. And now theory11 adopts the term along with "flourishes" to describe the art as well.

The subject of these terminologies is something I've dealt with ever since their inceptions. I was around during and before these events took place and was very "into the scene."

This art is very new and so up until 4 years ago it was using an out-dated term ("flourishing"). And so the efforts to define this art and help to grow it are all fresh and young.

I'm going to have a write up about this later.... but generally I can't talk about this subject without going on and on and on...

Sep 1, 2007
yeah it's ignorant to say "cardistry means cuts, XCM means fans and armspreads and springs and ...... etc"

that's like saying "rap music means violence, gangsters, and money"...

because, it is easy to get that misconception, because much of what you see associated with that word, you tend to define it as. But like eddie says they're basically all the same thing, which is, flourishing.

"It's not about separation, it's about the population."
-Del da Funky Homosapien

We all do the same things, just have different focuses. I think it's important to accept the fact on how small the non-magical card manipulation is in the world and compared to the brother, magic. I believe it's important for everyone to see what the entire POPULATION of non magical card manipulation has to offer.

As far as the cardistry term, who knows it was in some book. Complete complete separation from magic was the all time goal of De'vo's XCM terminology. So ANY connection is deemed as an obstacle to moving the art form into it's own thing. Since this book using "cardistry" especially since it's technically published, will deter the art over time which is what I believe De'vo was trying to get at.

Bottom line is use whatever you want just don't say it to your laymen cause they don't get and doubt they ever will understand it.

Oct 31, 2007
They're the same thing.
People can say "XCM is armspreads and fans and Cardistry is Dan and Dave"
Dan and dave call it Flourishing, Rich calls it Cardistry and does alot of Jerry type moves presented differently.
D'mad does cuts with armspreads!

The words are the same.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results