Cardistry in Times of Trouble

Jul 3, 2020
Everyone deals with stress differently, I've found that sometimes I use cards to help me think or as a meditative practice. Just thought I'd write this, perhaps there are other people that can relate. I should emphasize though that I'm as much a beginner as anyone else and I'm always amazed by other people's talent as something almost unachievable. There are of course a lot of things that can be written about this subject but I suppose I'll give a brief overview of what cardistry means to me.

I have very shaky hands, there's a medical term for it but I won't get into it, basically I do have a habit of dropping cards on the floor quite a bit which are a pain to be constantly picking up from the floor. But I still try to practice false cuts, fans, basic shuffles, and my favorite is making a card flip from one hand to the other. I do sometimes wonder if this is all a waste of time but for the most part I feel a sense of inspiration from this and the prospect that I can improve my skills over time. I don't necessarily refer to myself as a cardist but I do find some sort of refuge in it. There is a satisfaction I get from it even though I am just practicing basic things and not very well sometimes.

So maybe my question is, how do you keep going even when times are tough? Especially during the times when you don't feel you're making a lot of progress.

Reactions: B. Nikolay
May 11, 2017
Ukraine, Odessa
Everyone deals with stress differently, I've found that sometimes I use cards to help me think or as a meditative practice.
Welcome to the club :D

Just thought I'd write this, perhaps there are other people that can relate. I should emphasize though that I'm as much a beginner as anyone else and I'm always amazed by other people's talent as something almost unachievable. There are of course a lot of things that can be written about this subject but I suppose I'll give a brief overview of what cardistry means to me.

I have very shaky hands, there's a medical term for it but I won't get into it, basically I do have a habit of dropping cards on the floor quite a bit which are a pain to be constantly picking up from the floor. But I still try to practice false cuts, fans, basic shuffles, and my favorite is making a card flip from one hand to the other. I do sometimes wonder if this is all a waste of time but for the most part I feel a sense of inspiration from this and the prospect that I can improve my skills over time. I don't necessarily refer to myself as a cardist but I do find some sort of refuge in it. There is a satisfaction I get from it even though I am just practicing basic things and not very well sometimes.

So maybe my question is, how do you keep going even when times are tough? Especially during the times when you don't feel you're making a lot of progress.

But if you gonna stop, it definitely would be even worst result ) so don’t give up )

When you are not making a lot of progress you are working for future progress, any way.. )
Do what you love to do, is a gift.. and you would have great result soon or late, but with no any doubts.

Good luck. ;)

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
"Making progress" is a funny thing. You can't make progress without failing. Repeatedly. To get good at something, you have to like to practice and it seems like you do like to practice.

My recommendation is to keep practicing what you know, but to take a break every now and then to start to learn other things. You sometimes will find that taking a break and coming back to something is just what it takes to improve. I suspect that is, in part, driven by muscle memory replacing conscious thought.

Magic and cardistry can be many things - meditation, creativity, play, study, curiosity, etc. Enjoy whatever it is to you.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Doing something just because you enjoy doing it is plenty reason enough.

When I was a kid I was genuinely mildly obsessed with cards. I would just sit and shuffle them, deal them out, put them back into order, and so on, over and over. It was relaxing for me and I liked the feeling. These days I haven't performed a card or coin trick in my professional shows in over five years, easy. But I still play around with cards - shuffles, flourishes, sleights - it's a relaxing thing for me. I wouldn't say my skill with any of those things has improved at all in more than five years but I still find it satisfying and relaxing to do them, so I do them.

With coins - I carry a coin around regularly and use it as a fidget device. Transferring it from one grip to another, coin rolls, vanishes and productions - never as a performance, just as something to do with my hands. Actually, it's this one: https://deadonpaper.com/collections/coins/products/walking-reaper-hobo-coin - I have three.

I think it's important to have a hobby that is enjoyable simply because it's enjoyable. Don't worry about 'progress' - everyone progresses at different rates. Just focus on doing it as best you can, and improving, and you will find yourself making progress without thinking about it.

Reactions: MohanaMisra
Jun 18, 2019
West Bengal, India
Frankly, it's the concrete idea that I will and I am making progress. There's this image which basically sums up why I not only never give up, but I'm often even scared to give up:-

meme.jpg

From the little first hand experience working on sleights, flourishes and technical stuff in general, it's not those couple of videos that we see about the riffle fan, or those 5 days we spend extremely motivated trying to learn it, but it's the last five minutes, that one extra fan we attempt even when we're extremely frustrated, that brings the results, and sets us apart (by creating a gem of a work ethic). It seems to be life's own way of sieving the half-hearted (or unprepared) out.

So to be honest, my biggest motivation is the absolute faith that there will be a pay off in the end.

(I know that it's an idealistic view, but I guess I can live in my Utopia till proven wrong :p )

Doing something just because you enjoy doing it is plenty reason enough.
This is something I have been working on lately, teaching myself to genuinely love the thing I'm doing because of the thing itself, and not focussing on getting the pay off. I won't lie, I'm a bit disappointed in myself for not thinking of this right after reading the OP's question, but I guess I'm glad I was reminded once again to just love the act of ''doing'' itself.

A little off-topic (helpful if anybody was wondering what to watch the next weekend) but check out the Disney-Pixar movie ''Soul'' which came out earlier last year, if you haven't seen it yet. It talks about working hard at one thing to achieve a goal (or find your passion) and more importantly, what obsessing over achieving a goal can transform you into. I think the OP might feel better about working at something just for the sake of working at it (if it's their problem as much as it is mine) if they watch it. It can also create real motivation instead of just superficial motivation that lasts for a minute after watching a motivational YT video.

PS:- The two parts of my post are contradictory, but I feel it's the happy medium, the point where those two ideas converge, that can truly help people get through with cardistry (or magic, or anything else) in times of trouble. My two cents. :)

Dec 30, 2020
Much like you, I find handling and admiring cards relaxing and soothing. I am fond of fidgeting with them while doing other things. Don't let your fear/frustration of dropping a deck of cards multiple times ruin the relaxation that handling cards gives you. I myself am interested in cardistry, but no where close to being able to call myself a cardist. I'm struggling with the basic thumb cut despite having larger hands than most and still end up playing 52 pickup many times a day.

Reactions: B. Nikolay

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Oh. Pro-tip from learning to juggle - practice over your bed, couch, or a counter. That way when you drop things you don't have to bend as far to pick them back up.

Reactions: Bricard
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results