Cardistry Standards

Tower of Lunatic Meat

Elite Member
Sep 27, 2014
Texa$, with a dollar sign
I think I have to agree with Bryant on this one. Once you learn the basics that you have listed at the top of this thread, it's really up to you to make your own path. Cardistry is a personal expression and everyone has their own style. It's like playing an open-world video game. Once you've learnt the basics, you're set free onto the world, and it's up to you to explore and figure out where you want to go.

I feel like there could be a few other flourishes that could help a beginner out. I JUST learned a deck flip, I wish someone would have pulled me aside and told me that I should have learned it earlier.
I think it's a great flourish for one-hand, as well as a finisher for two-hands, if you so choose to finish your flourishes that way (or end it further with a fan).

Duncan F.

Elite Member
Apr 26, 2013
I feel like there could be a few other flourishes that could help a beginner out. I JUST learned a deck flip, I wish someone would have pulled me aside and told me that I should have learned it earlier.
I think it's a great flourish for one-hand, as well as a finisher for two-hands, if you so choose to finish your flourishes that way (or end it further with a fan).
The T.G. Deck Flip is a great move, but I don't know if I would consider it a must learn. I think a card twirl like Flicker would come in handy more than a Deck Flip. Although we are all coming at this from different perspectives. Someones must learn move might not be someone else's.

Once you get the Deck Flip down, you should try the Split Flip. That's not an official name, just what I call it. I have seen other do it, but not many. Take a quarter of the deck and flip it face up on top and then perform the Deck Flip. The deck will right itself in the air, and everything will land facedown. It's kinda crazy that it just works but it does. Having a bit of a bow in your deck will help it to split if you're having issues. It's the exact same mechanics as the Deck Flip. Give it a try, and let me know if it worked.

Tower of Lunatic Meat

Elite Member
Sep 27, 2014
I think you're right.

Maybe we should start individual threads of each cut and have our own explanations and polls as to why that cut SHOULD be learned by a beginner.

So that later, we can compile them together into a sticky thread ( as we can't edit anything after 5 minutes) with explanations, so that we can direct all new cardists to that thread.

Duncan F.

Elite Member
Apr 26, 2013
I think you're right.

Maybe we should start individual threads of each cut and have our own explanations and polls as to why that cut SHOULD be learned by a beginner.

So that later, we can compile them together into a sticky thread ( as we can't edit anything after 5 minutes) with explanations, so that we can direct all new cardists to that thread.
I like this idea. So everyone could make their own list, and we would compile the common moves together and that would make up the list of "Must learn" Only issue I see is that none of us are mods, so we can't make a thread sticky.

Tower of Lunatic Meat

Elite Member
Sep 27, 2014
I like this idea. So everyone could make their own list, and we would compile the common moves together and that would make up the list of "Must learn" Only issue I see is that none of us are mods, so we can't make a thread sticky.

I think the best way to get around the mod thing is that we make posts about each individual cut and cut variant, in them we go over the details as to why that cut or variant SHOULD be learned.

This will probably take a month or 2...or 3. However long it takes.

Once that happens a master list should be made (I could make it in Microsoft word), run it by everyone to approve or make modifications, pitch the idea to the higher ups, and there we go!

Duncan F.

Elite Member
Apr 26, 2013
I think the best way to get around the mod thing is that we make posts about each individual cut and cut variant, in them we go over the details as to why that cut or variant SHOULD be learned.

This will probably take a month or 2...or 3. However long it takes.

Once that happens a master list should be made (I could make it in Microsoft word), run it by everyone to approve or make modifications, pitch the idea to the higher ups, and there we go!
So is your goal to get a list like this on the Theory 11 forums? Seems to me like there are a lot of list for beginners all on various websites.

Tower of Lunatic Meat

Elite Member
Sep 27, 2014
So is your goal to get a list like this on the Theory 11 forums? Seems to me like there are a lot of list for beginners all on various websites.

There are, I won't lie.
But Theory11 doesn't have one.
And I believe that adding detailed explanations as to why a particular cut should be learned first would help assist the beginner in staying in the good path. Instead of

'Learn Charlier first.'
'Why shou--'
'DO IT NOW!'

At least, from YouTube tutorials, they don't explain the 'why' at all.

I wish I had sort of a beginners guide, as my cardistry journey is pretty screwed up. Here it is in order of completion:

Revolution, Charlier, one-hand shuffle, Muse Cut, Teachwrap, Erdnase Go Round, Deck Flip

I'm currently working on:
French Manicure
Flicker
Meer
Rinzler
Turbine

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results