Cell Block - B. Smith

Apr 1, 2009
California
After much trial and error, and with the help of Justin Miller and company, I got my download of Cell Block to finally work. Here is my review of the effect. It's my first review ever, so bare with me.

Effect:

Cell Block is an effect featuring multiple climaxes where ultimately the spectator's SIGNED card appears inside of your cell phone. No forces and virtually impromptu. The other kicker, the cell phone is not touched and in plain sight the entire time.

Download:

The download honestly was not what I expected. I expected the typical glitz and glamour that we come to expect from these sites now a days. With cinema worthy quality and flawless scripting. But, do not let this in anyway mislead you that this is no good. In fact, I preferred this in a way to many other downloads for reasons to come.

It starts off with a few performances of the effect. Great reactions. I will say though, that as a warning to younger members, there is unedited language throughout. But regardless, great performances by B. Smith. The performances are live in several different locations. Hitting just about everywhere you'd want to see an effect performed, from what looks to be a backyard, to the street, to the bar.

It then jumps to the explanation. This is where it's different. It almost feels like it's literally one-on-one. Like your sitting in the basement or living room with B. Smith and Justin Miller (the man on the camera and lovely assistant at times) and they go over an effect with you. Somehow I prefer this style of explanation to others in ways. It feels intimate and almost more secretive, like the rest of the world won't be hearing about the effect, just you. The two of them are very funny. There were a few moments where they managed to get off topic for several minutes, one of which discussing a stain on B. Smith's shirt and pants.

The details they cover are incredible. They hit just about any and everything you could ever want to know about the effect. When the explanation started, I was somewhat irked (felt like using that word in a bad way) method wise. having a feeling I would not be able to pull this off. But then, it all comes together later. There are only a couple of sleights used. You will more than likely be familiar with the sleights, although B. Smith goes over them in detail as well as variations that he finds to be cleaner which happen to actually BE cleaner. They go over more than one way to do just about everything in the effect. So, you should have no problem finding a way that suits you. You will not leave this download questioning anything. If you do, that's a personal problem and they have numbers for that in your yellow pages, I suggest you have a look.

All in all, this is very performable. Instant reset. B. Smith goes over a couple ways to reset instantly if you so choose. As well as cleanliness in the beginning. I will most definitely be using this at some point.

Anyway, I recommend this effect. I was just looking back into the depths of my mind, and remembered the price. It's only around 10 dollars. An absolute steal for an effect you will use almost daily.

I apologize if the review wasn't thorough or neat. It's early. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

D

Deleted member 2755

I have the download of Cell Block as well. I look forward to watching it. :) I just watched and am about to review Smile which is JM's effect from WTF No Limits. Glad you liked it.

-Doug

Aug 20, 2008
Las Vegas
After much trial and error, and with the help of Justin Miller and company, I got my download of Cell Block to finally work. Here is my review of the effect. It's my first review ever, so bare with me.

Effect:

Cell Block is an effect featuring multiple climaxes where ultimately the spectator's SIGNED card appears inside of your cell phone. No forces and virtually impromptu. The other kicker, the cell phone is not touched and in plain sight the entire time.

Download:

The download honestly was not what I expected. I expected the typical glitz and glamour that we come to expect from these sites now a days. With cinema worthy quality and flawless scripting. But, do not let this in anyway mislead you that this is no good. In fact, I preferred this in a way to many other downloads for reasons to come.

It starts off with a few performances of the effect. Great reactions. I will say though, that as a warning to younger members, there is unedited language throughout. But regardless, great performances by B. Smith. The performances are live in several different locations. Hitting just about everywhere you'd want to see an effect performed, from what looks to be a backyard, to the street, to the bar.

It then jumps to the explanation. This is where it's different. It almost feels like it's literally one-on-one. Like your sitting in the basement or living room with B. Smith and Justin Miller (the man on the camera and lovely assistant at times) and they go over an effect with you. Somehow I prefer this style of explanation to others in ways. It feels intimate and almost more secretive, like the rest of the world won't be hearing about the effect, just you. The two of them are very funny. There were a few moments where they managed to get off topic for several minutes, one of which discussing a stain on B. Smith's shirt and pants.

The details they cover are incredible. They hit just about any and everything you could ever want to know about the effect. When the explanation started, I was somewhat irked (felt like using that word in a bad way) method wise. having a feeling I would not be able to pull this off. But then, it all comes together later. There are only a couple of sleights used. You will more than likely be familiar with the sleights, although B. Smith goes over them in detail as well as variations that he finds to be cleaner which happen to actually BE cleaner. They go over more than one way to do just about everything in the effect. So, you should have no problem finding a way that suits you. You will not leave this download questioning anything. If you do, that's a personal problem and they have numbers for that in your yellow pages, I suggest you have a look.

All in all, this is very performable. Instant reset. B. Smith goes over a couple ways to reset instantly if you so choose. As well as cleanliness in the beginning. I will most definitely be using this at some point.

Anyway, I recommend this effect. I was just looking back into the depths of my mind, and remembered the price. It's only around 10 dollars. An absolute steal for an effect you will use almost daily.

I apologize if the review wasn't thorough or neat. It's early. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Thank you for the awesome review Asher! Like I said in the download, this is one of the strongest most requested card effects I do. The series of effects and the climax put people over the top as you see in the demo.

I want to mention that I really admire David Stone's cell but its drawbacks caused me to never use it. I also wasnt fond of the routine and handling he used for the effect and I would frequently rock a split spades or talley-ho deck, which makes Cell useless. Not to mention the waring out of the gimmick. I've spoke to numerous other magicians who felt the same way and they encouraged me to release Cell Block.

If you guys want some POWERFUL magic thats easy, practical, and fun to perform, this one is a gem.

bSmith
wtfnolimits.com

btw- the stain on my pants was yogurt.. i swear..

Apr 1, 2009
California
That's another thing I love about the effect. I'm not too incredibly familiar with David Stone's Cell, but from what I can tell with this effect, it seems very versatile. Everywhere from the type of card you use, the type of phone you use, to even the routine itself. If I should ever so choose, I could change several aspects of the effect and end up with the same result. Of course keep the same plot and idea.

I never doubted it was yogurt for a second.

ok, maybe for a second.

Asher

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results