Children's Magic

Mar 3, 2013
Hi Guys,

I've been practicing and performing magic for over 2 years now, but have only been performing to adults. Next month I'm doing an event where there will be many young children in my audience. I was hoping some people could give me some tips or suggestions about certain routines or illusions that are aimed at children, or suggest other sources I could read from to make my set more child friendly.
(It's going to be a walk around event rather than a stage routine)

Thanks

May 21, 2014
Staunton, VA
I pretty much use the same material on adults and children. I've even done an ACR for a group of kids with a good deal of success; the trick with kids is making sure they stay amused and involved. Magic that is visual and surprising, magic that tells a story, and/or magic that makes a volunteer into the magician are going to be your best bets. For instance, when I'm doing ACR for kids, I bring up a volunteer, give him/her my wand, and let them tap the deck with it to make the magic happen. Also, effects that are simple to follow are your best friend, and I recommend things that are easy to do/don't require a lot of fishy moves. Kids are remarkably perceptive and are also more likely to point it out if they see something they shouldn't. Don't be afraid to use gimmicks, trick decks, and colorful apparatus, either. Kids love that kind of thing.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
For strolling events where "young" kids are present I highly recommend the following:

sponge balls
square / circle sponge ball
professor's nightmare
hot rod routine
silk and thumb tip
pocket size coloring book
color monte
zig zag card
pen through dollar
quadraflex / mismade bill
rubber band magic

I would stay away from a lot of your normal card tricks that are typically better suited for the teens and adults. Most young children will lose interest quickly in card routines unless it is a small packet trick that they can comprehend.

Mar 3, 2013
are you doing a stand up show or walk around? Rick has some amazing tricks that should cover you for both. candy magic works well and producing objects is awesome too.

I'm doing walk around. In terms of candy magic, are there any special candy effects, or do I just do productions and coin effects (but obviously replace the coin with a piece of candy)?

Mar 3, 2013
For strolling events where "young" kids are present I highly recommend the following:

sponge balls
square / circle sponge ball
professor's nightmare
hot rod routine
silk and thumb tip
pocket size coloring book
color monte
zig zag card
pen through dollar
quadraflex / mismade bill
rubber band magic

I would stay away from a lot of your normal card tricks that are typically better suited for the teens and adults. Most young children will lose interest quickly in card routines unless it is a small packet trick that they can comprehend.

This awesome! Thanks man!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results