Classic Palm

Sep 30, 2007
I have been working at my classic for a while now and it looks really good. I can do it and leave my hand almost all the way flat and open. The only problem I am noticing is that if my hand is too dry then I cant palm the coin. If I wash my hands then my hands will be too dry, then if I put lotion on, my hands get slippery and wont grip the coin. Any suggestions?

Sep 1, 2007
San Francisco, CA
That's strange, because I can Classic Palm coins anytime. Not sure why, but the coin always seems to have a firm grip. I don't have large hands by any means, so I'm not really sure why the coin doesn't stay in your hand.

Sep 30, 2007
That's strange, because I can Classic Palm coins anytime. Not sure why, but the coin always seems to have a firm grip. I don't have large hands by any means, so I'm not really sure why the coin doesn't stay in your hand.

yea idk, if my hand is dry the coin slides on my skin and wont grip, and the only way it will stay is if I scrunch my hand up into an awkward unnatural position

Sep 24, 2007
David Roth or David Stone, I don't know which one. Well, one of them practices palming UNDERWATER! If you did this you wouldn't have this problem.

Or you could use lotion.

Sep 15, 2007
Lotion actuaslly will dry your hand out more as it is Pertolium based for the most part and that is why it can make your hands greasy.
David Roth is the one who used to practice classic and other things under COLD water. 46 degrees i think was the temp.
You may have better luck if you want your hands in warm water ...not hot and them dry them. No lotion but try to rub in a little palmolive dishwashing shoap.

Frank Garcia used to sell a special hand formula for hands that was Glycerin and rosewater. You can also try that to keep your hands moist rather than dry.

Practice seems to really help too as I can classic when my hands are dry and cracked.
I have been doing this sleight for over 30yrs though so I have built up a little callis also.
LAter,
Snorri

Dec 15, 2007
Hawaii
I like to use the classic palm, especially if you can get your hand to look natural. Like sometimes i keep the coin palmed all day at school and forget that its even there because its so second nature but looks so deceiving. My hands do get kinda moist but i usually wipe my hands or something like that. The classic palm is a great utility that everyone should put the hours in. Just dont have sweaty palms when performing ( because your nervous) just relax your hand, thats the key:D

Sep 30, 2007
I have been practicing my classic for.......I dont even know how long. I will be at work for an 8 hour shift and just walk around all day with the coin in classic, but I just can only do it when my hands have a certain tackyness to them. All the practice in the world wont allow my hands to grip the coin when they are greasy or too dry. Idk, I have just been going to spongeballs when my hands are too dry form washing my hands. Also, has anyone heard of using bowling grip? I guess some people will use bowling grip before they do coin work and that stuff helps you grip a bowling ball so I am sure it would help with a coin haha

A good way to moisten your hands, was taught to me by Chris Mayhew, who some of you might know if you have read Magic Mags.
What ever hand you want moistend make a fist and put it up to your mouth as if you clearing your throught. let the sair fomr you mouth go in to your fist and it should stopthe dryness problem.

It will also work for the Erdnase Change.

I heard that David Roth use to sell a product called Roth's Rosin. It is basically a small block of rosin (hardened tree sap). What you do is lightly roll the edge of the coin over the block of rosin. I heard that you can get a block of rosin for cheap by going to a musician's store. Supposedly it is used by violinist but I'm no musician.

Once, while at Fantasma Magic in NYC a friend of mine had a block of rosin and I tried it. It definitely helped me out.

Sep 1, 2007
Leicester, UK
www.youtube.com
I heard that you can get a block of rosin for cheap by going to a musician's store. Supposedly it is used by violinist but I'm no musician.

You'll find it very easy to get rosin at music stores, it's used by string instruments (of the usual type, not guitars or pianos) to keep their bow to the strings.

It may not be the rosin you're after though, so I'd do some research.

- Sean

Sep 24, 2007
I have rosined my coins before. i used regular violin rosin, and it helped.

If i have not palmed a coin for a while (8-9 hours) my palms get weak and i cannot palm that well. to conter this, i do a simple palm excercise:

start with the coin in classic palm. then, touch your thumb to each of your fingers three times. (tap your pinky 3 times, then tap your ring finger 3 times etc.) Finally, i do a couple muscle passes and i'm ready to perform.

Ridges

I have been working at my classic for a while now and it looks really good. I can do it and leave my hand almost all the way flat and open. The only problem I am noticing is that if my hand is too dry then I cant palm the coin. If I wash my hands then my hands will be too dry, then if I put lotion on, my hands get slippery and wont grip the coin. Any suggestions?

Don't wash your hands and dont use lotion. There, problem solved.

I understand your frustration. I suggest you work with a coin that has nice ridges on it. I always have a ben franklin half in my pocket. For no other reason than I know I can grip it every time.

Also, you gotta work out those muscles in your hand. And at the risk of sounding stupid, you have to find that sweet spot. It's right there between the thumb muscle and the palm muscles. That just takes time.

Coins with ridges + sweet spot = confidence

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results