Close up Mats: Yes or No?

Mar 24, 2021
Now that I have a job, and earning some money, I've been thinking about buying a magic prop for the first time. The one I am focusing on at the moment is a close up magic mat, but I am having some doubts. So I once again come to you, the experts, for advice. Should I invest in a mat? If so, where should I get it? And if not, what should I get instead?

Thanks for your time!

Reactions: Gabriel Z.
Jan 2, 2016
California
I personally love having a closeup mat to practice on. It keeps my cards clean and makes tabled stuff easier. Picking up lone cards is far easier on a pad than it is on a hard table.

Just keep in mind that you should also practice on other surfaces so ensure you're not using it as a crutch for tabled magic.

Personally, I really like TCC's suede closeup pads as they have a hard back and feel nice. They feel like luxury pads without being ridiculously expensive.

Murphy's deluxe, economy, and standard pads are great as well and are pretty cheap.

Oct 2, 2018
I have a Murphy's standard and they are great economical mats. For my first one, I didn't want to break the bank, since the really nice ones are $$$. I have only used it a couple times, since things are really busy for me right now, but get an inexpensive one and see how you like it. Think I got mine while it was on promo, so if you can hold off a little while some end of summer sales may be coming up. Then there's always Black Friday.........what, too soon? I worked in retail for 30 yrs so that's what the focus will be starting in about 3 weeks anyway.

Reactions: SANDUSKY27
Mar 24, 2021
I have a Murphy's standard and they are great economical mats. For my first one, I didn't want to break the bank, since the really nice ones are $$$. I have only used it a couple times, since things are really busy for me right now, but get an inexpensive one and see how you like it. Think I got mine while it was on promo, so if you can hold off a little while some end of summer sales may be coming up. Then there's always Black Friday.........what, too soon? I worked in retail for 30 yrs so that's what the focus will be starting in about 3 weeks anyway.

Getting an inexpensive one and trying out sounds like a great idea! Thank you for clueing me in on the end of the summer sales. And no, I think it's never too early to start thinking about Black Friday;)

Mar 24, 2021
I personally love having a closeup mat to practice on. It keeps my cards clean and makes tabled stuff easier. Picking up lone cards is far easier on a pad than it is on a hard table.

Just keep in mind that you should also practice on other surfaces so ensure you're not using it as a crutch for tabled magic.

Personally, I really like TCC's suede closeup pads as they have a hard back and feel nice. They feel like luxury pads without being ridiculously expensive.

Murphy's deluxe, economy, and standard pads are great as well and are pretty cheap.

Murphy's seems like a go route to go down. Thank you for pointing them out and for the reminder to use different surfaces!

Mar 24, 2021
I like plush mats for cards. I get mine from Pattrick's Magic.
https://www.pattricksmagic.com/magical-mats (if you try his, make sure you get plush. He has other surfaces but not all are as nice)

I can't imagine not having a mat for cards, though it depends what kind of stuff you like to do.

I didn't even think about the possibility of mats having different surfaces! I'll have to check out Pattrick's Magic and see what they look like. Thank you for the insight!

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
So, whether I use a close-up mat depends on what I'm performing and were I'm performing. It is good to have one, especially for coins or cups & balls.

I third the TCC pads. They are nice.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results