Cloud Bustin Secrets by Devin Knight and Jerome Finely

Michael Kras

{dg} poet laureate / theory11
Sep 12, 2007
Canada
www.magicanada.myfastforum.org
CLOUD BUSTING SECRETS BY DEVIN KNIGHT AND JEROME FINELY

Effect: A large book focusing on the art of Cloud Busting as well as the power of controlling the weather.

Review: Cloud Busting Secrets is without a doubt, one of the best piece of magic literature I have ever had the pleasure of reading. I must admit I was probably more excited than anyone when I heard about this release a few months ago. The long wait ended recently, and it was surely worth the wait!

What Knight and Finely have written about is genius. They include every detail you need to be making clouds vanish, appear, move, morph, and so much more... nothing is left out at all. Everything is so detailed, and most importantly, honest. If the authors are describing an impractical method, they will flat-out explain the before teaching the method. This is very admirable.

The book begins with a Preface written by Paolo Cavalli on the subject of Cloud Busting and talking about the authors' motives and the genius idea of writing a full book on the subject of weather manipulation. Upon the conclusion of the Preface, an Introduction to the book is made by Finely and Knight, and immediately following this is Devin Knight's section of the book entitled Cloud Busting 101.

CLOUD BUSTING 101 begins by explaining the basic technique of vanishing a cloud from the sky. I must say that upon reading this I burst into a fit of laughter, pondering how something so simple can actually fool the public. Well, it can, and the technique is pure genius. I love it, and practice it frequently. It is totally impromptu, requires no special equipment or secret confederates, and can be done anytime, anywhere.

Devin then gets into the specifics of the technique, including what type of clouds to look for, what time to start busting the cloud, and the acting and presentational specifics. No detail is left out, and Devin truly goes into every aspect of busting a cloud.

Next come some presentational ideas and routines using the Cloud Vanishing technique previously described. The first idea comes from Christopher Williams and describes shooting an invisible gun and producing a large bullet hole in the cloud in the sky. This is a very nice idea that has a very good humorous quality to it. The next idea is a routine utilizing the Rainmaker gimmick in conjunction with a Cloud Vanish. This is also a fantastic idea that has a lot of potential.

The next idea is called Voodoo Card, and it involves the magician drawing a cloud, and slowly erasing it. As it is being erased, a cloud in the sky above is seen to be erasing itself too! This would definitely be very strong, and a few small ideas are included with this. The next section outlines a story about how a Gypsy would make a cloud vanish to seemingly cure a person of their illness. This is a nice idea, and it goes into some fascinating true facts.

Devin now explains the mechanics of Making A Cloud Appear. Flat-out, Devin tells the reader how impractical this technique is. It is basically the reverse process of Cloud Vanishing and would be very effective it the time was right.

He now goes into Moving A Cloud, and once again, warns readers of its impracticality and rarity of an oppurtunity to use it. I was once able to use it, but just to myself, and believe it could as well be effective if done at the spur of the moment. Devin outlines the exact time to do this.

Clearing The Entire Sky is next, and sounds absolutely fantastic. Once again, this is not something you will do every day, and was designed specifically for a publicity stunt. You will only need to do this once. The entire process will take about 20 minutes, so obviously you will only use this as a publicity stunt. Basically, you make all of the clouds in the sky vanish. The Blue Sky Bluff is also briefly explained, and it is a no-effort version of this that is very tongue-in-cheek.

The next excellent topic is Finding An Audience, and Devin explains many creative and magical ways to do this. One of them is definitely one I'll use despite how insane it will make me look.

Sky Revelations are next, and this is basically a luck-of-the-draw methodthat can only be done at certain times. You may find the perfect chance to do it so it is recommended you frequently carry a deck of cards with you. Basically, for this, a chosen card, shape, animal, or other object is revealed in the sky, shaped out of cloud. This is very nice and I recommend you take advantage of the perfect moment to try this! This is a very in-depth subject, and immediately following is the next section of the book by Jerome Finely entitled Advanced Cloud Melting Techniques.

ADVANCED CLOUD MELTING TECHNIQUES is for after you have mastered the basics of cloud busting and are ready to take it to the next level. After a brief Foreward, Jerome briefly describes what cloud busting really is. After this, he outlines the nice idea of tying in a Metal Bending routine with a cloud busting finale. This is very nice and fits with cloud busting perfectly.

Jerome then describes Cloud Melting Methodology in a very in-depth discussion of Suggestion being the key to this technique. This is an exceptional area of discussion that must be read in order to fully understand the art of cloud busting.

Jerome then briefly describes the basics of finding the perfect cloud to bust, and this is also a very informative section. After this, Intermediate Methodology is discussed. This is much more in-depth look at the psychological and suggestive effects of cloud busting.

Troubleshooting: Here, fixing any problems you may have with your cloud busting is outlined and described very well... this is definitely a very informative problem solver and will most definitely fix any difficulties you may have with your cloud busting.

The next section, without revealing much here, describes the easiest way to change the weather or cloud-bust. This is quite funny to read and very informative, and is basically no effort on your part. Following this, the topic of really milking your cloud busting is described. This includes passing out after you bust a cloud, which is a stellar idea and a detail I use every time I bust a cloud. Acting is key for sure, and that is all described over the next few pages in a very informative discussion.

Making Your Cloud Busting Mean Something is a necessay topic, and is thoroughly discussed here. Jerome talks about making your cloud busting have a reason, and this is a definite "must read" topic.

Using This Technique For Publicity is also described among other minor details and teaches how to get yourself known for cloud busting. Afterwards, some Effects and Ideas are outlined. Among these are ideas for Cloud Sculpting, Having A Chosen Card Appear In The Clouds, Wiping a cliud out of the aky with your hand, and a full Cloud Busting routine for the street. After discussing many more methods, including one in the form of a book test, we move on to Part Three: Changing The Weather.

CHANGING THE WEATHER allow the magician to stop the rain or another storm, make a rainbow appear and simply control the weather. Calling for rain storms in a week? No problem, you can stop them with this foolproof technique. It is recommended that you prove your Cloud-Busting abilities beforehand to make this accomplishment more believable, and when you get a chance to do this, it is KILLER!

Yesterday, I stopped the rain to great success, all thanks to this book. The authors go in-depth into all of the details and specifics needed the control the weather, and the method is fascinating and ingenious. After this chapter, Devin Knight briefly describes Vanishing Clouds using Orgone Energy. This is an informative and very interesting conclusion to a fantastic book.

OVERALL: Overall I give this excellent book a 10/10. Knight and Finely have created the Bible of Weather Magic and this is definitely not something to let pass by. Highest recommendations!

Michael Kras

TRM

Sep 1, 2007
wow, cloud busting
Ive never heard of it..but it seems interesting
is it basically controlling clouds?

Aug 31, 2007
Lacey,Washington
This book is a work of art for a mentalist. I have it and love it. A LOT of people that buy this, I can bet over 90 percent will put it down and not even master a single thing. Yes all the things claimed in this book can be done but not at anytime. You can do busting and stuff at anytime with Jerome's methods, similiar and more bolder to Twisted Palm from Luke Jermay. So don't expect to go out and buy the book and the next day be performing most of these things. I've had the book ever since it came out and I am still mastering stuff.

NOT FOR EVERYONE, THIS STUFF IS BOLD AND SOME STUFF IS DONE TONGUE IN CHEEK.

It is a 10/10 for me

Sep 1, 2007
UK
Yeah many many many performers seem to love this... but me and a few others have an entirely different opinion so i'll post my review from the cafe'.
Then you can see differing opinions and decide for yourselves.

This is my review.

Cloud Busting Secrets:

Cloud busting... the ability to harness the power of mother nature herself and unleash it onto the unsuspecting minds of all those we come across.
To call upon the weather and take it's power for our own, doing with it what we will.
Casting rainbows across the horizon, halt storms in there tracks, ravage the skies with clouds or simply wipe them away.

Devin Knight and Jerome Finley are practitioners of such occurrences, they have seemingly mastered that which is nature and perform feats of wonderment and awe.
They have decided to share these secrets with us, giving us the power which they've held so close so that we may experience the magic for ourselves.
This is Cloud Busting Secrets... are you ready??

Format- Book

Creators/performers- Devin Knight and Jerome Finley

Price- approx £27 (approx $40-45)

Available- For a limited time http://www.alakazam.co.uk, http://www.hocus-pocus.com, http://www.magicmagic.co.uk + more (was available directly from Devin and Jerome but am not sure if they still have copies)

The book:

First I'd like to give my thoughts and opinions on the actual book itself.
It's a high quality 132 page soft back book that really does look and feel like a quality product.

Overall very well done with no complaints that come to mind.
Great job on the book.

Book is laid out in sections and I'll be covering each briefly.
I looked at it as three main sections which detail all the workings, effects, psychology etc with two being on clouds and one being on different aspects of the weather, i.e. rain, snow, etc.

These are the ones I'll be going over, with all that'll be left being forewords etc and a segment on orgone energy and cloudbusting devices.
I don't feel the need to cover the area on the devices etc as it's more there so the book contains absolutely everything on the subject, with no real practical things to speak of.

I'll now go through the three main sections and give a bit of info on each, after going through all three I'll give my overall thoughts and opinions encompassing everything gone over and more.

Section 1:

Cloud Busting 101-

This is Devin's section and it covers the basics of busting a cloud, making clouds appear, revealing using clouds and how to get the attention of people and reel them in.

Section 2:

Advanced Cloud Melting Techniques-

This is Jerome Finleys section and takes what you've learnt in section 1 and how to turn it from just "Hey look a cloud... watch this!!!" to a more meaningful and thought provoking performance.

Jerome's section is a lot more based on the psychological side of things, with ways of going into cloud busting routines and how to try and get the most out of them.
He does cover effect/routine ideas along with suggestion, etc.

Section 3:

Changing the Weather-

This section is brought to you by Devin Knight and is based around ideas and methods to seemingly control the weather eg stop rain, divert a storm, etc.

So that's what I consider to be the three main sections to the book.

Now on to my thoughts, opinion and views on Cloud Busting Secrets:

Everyone seems to love this book, with this getting a lot of praise all over with people raving about how good it is left, right and center... well I have a different opinion on things.

I'll start with a little Q&A with myself to help get my thoughts fully across, and then go from there.

Can you really control the weather?

Errmmm... No.
Of course not and I wasn't expecting that, but it does teach you methods that have worked for Devin and Jerome to seemingly be in control to an extent.
I have to admit I was hoping for more of the psychological stuff as that's what I was hoping would have been a big part of it, and to some degree it is but overall I was disappointed in what could and could not be done (even if it is seemingly).

Is the material practical/workable?

Well, yes and no.
Some of the routines can basically be done whenever clouds are adrift in the sky, while others re very limited to when and how you can perform.

Does it work?

Well it does work, but it's hard to go into fully without exposure occurring.

Ok, then, does it look good, does it come across as the real deal, is it a visual feast?

I'm afraid you'll be left hungry as there's no visual feast to be found here.
I really don't feel it comes across as real, or spectacular at that.
It will really be totally down to how strong of a performer you really are as that's the only thing that could make this work.

Now I'm all for a good performance, but there really isn't much of a pay off with a very underwhelming result.

Is it convincing, will the spectators believe, will it impress?

No I don't believe so.
Firstly it just doesn't look that good to begin with, secondly it's just too see thru to be truly effective, and thirdly it's just not impressive.
Yeah, sure it sounds impressive, but then it would.
But I assure you it in no way near delivers on all the talk.

Is there anything good?

Well there are only two things I can imagine myself actually using or being able to bring that moment of astonishment to the onlookers, they are the reveal in the sky and, my favourite, the spectator seeing a face of someone they know in the clouds.
I still don't think the reveal in the sky is that impressive though, I mean it does work and can look pretty good, but on the whole it's just not that strong.
The face in the clouds is something which I feel could be very meaningful and powerful, and is the one thing which I do really like... it's just a shame there wasn't more emphasis put on it as it's potential is far beyond the rest of the material.

How about that weather stuff... that must be good... I mean stopping the rain, diverting storms, creating rainbows... how can it not be?

Ok, this is not good at all, really, I mean it.
Obviously I wasn't expecting real magic, but at least a convincing method or principal.
I don't see how anyone could be taken in by the methods taught on this.

My opinion:

So you've read through the mini Q&A and have seen briefly my opinion on Cloud Busting Secrets, and now I've eased you in I'll get on to my full thoughts.
I really don't see how everyone is raving about this as I really believe that it's nowhere near as effective as what all the opinions would have you believe.
Like I've said, the methods do work and all the book claims to teach you it does... but that doesn't mean that the materials good.
The actual cloud busting itself is just so weak, it really has no real visual appeal and, even though it's obviously worked for Devin and Jerome, just isn't impressive to see or experience.

One time I was out in my back garden practising some of the ideas from the book, and my mum came out to see what I was up to and so I showed her... Now I've managed to impress my mum (she always sees my latest stuff etc) with a lot of things, but her first thing she said to me WAS the method.
She really didn't think it was amazing or magical or anything of the sort, she was totally unimpressed and thought it was a joke as surely I didn't think that was going to fool her, and then she went on to tell me why, revealing (unbeknownst to her) most of the workings in the book.

I didn't give up there though as I wasn't gonna base my decision on one mini performance so I decided to hit the streets... Not a fun experience at all.
I didn't let it show, but I felt so silly while doing it, with the reactions from the people being average at best (and then they were probably embarrassed for me and didn't want to make me feel stupid).
Now I really did try my best to put on a good performance, etc., but the effects are just not that good.

In the book it says to really play it up and put in a strong performance, as if what's about to happen is a miracle and to really concentrate and focus... well it feels really silly to be doing that and then for the end result to be as underwhelming and disappointing, as a cloud slowly breaking up and fading away.

I know I've been pretty harsh sounding in my review, but I have not seen one negative review or remark on this and so I was like, 'huh' surely not.
This is the way I truly feel and it's not because I don't get what the books about or don't understand, etc.

It's my view on whats contained in the book and it's effectiveness.
Now I know that Devin and Jerome have been doing this and performing with great success for years, but that doesn't automatically make it good.
The effects are overall weak and the workings see thru, with an overall underwhelming and disappointing feeling.

Difficulty:

Not difficult method wise but will require a very strong performance to make up for the lackluster effect.

Finally:

A very well produced book from two greats in there field, but ultimately an unfullfilling experience.

Not recommended.

There... as you can see I didn't like this, but something I will say is that the techniques taught DO work, you will be able to seemingly effect the weather etc... but MY opinion is that the material is just not very good.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results