Coin Magic

Dec 28, 2017
Coin magic, performed correctly, is one of the best skills a magician can master. When we start out as magicians, the basics are, simple card techniques and simple coin tricks... However, as we advance, coins seem to disappear more out of our routine...
Let's face it. Coin magic, executed properly, would be, on average, more astounding than card magic for a layman...
First of all, most people, get bored or unimpressed following cards. They have to remember cards etc. Whereas in coin magic, it is relatively easy to follow coin vanish, reproductions etc.
And secondly, OUT OF ALL THE PROPS IN MAGIC, coins are the most available. Almost EVERY HUMAN you meet has them.
I got back to coin magic recently. I bought a book by J.B Bobo "Modern Coin Magic". At first, it didn't seem to help much. But then, I watched, David Roth's "Expert Coin Magic Made Easy" Volume 1, and it really got me started. It made reading Bobo's book easier.

So, what do you think about coin magic? Do you still perform it?

Dec 30, 2014
I agree that coin magic is astounding when done well however it doesn't mean more astounding than card magic. I feel the spectators react to magic more strongly if the effect involves around them. they would probably react more strongly to something like 'french kiss' than a simple coins across plot (unless the coins across uses the spectator). Coin magic is definitely harder (subjectively) and can be better than card magic sometimes but I think it all comes down to the performance of the magician. I do love watching good coin magic though.

Reactions: Maaz Hasan
Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
I agree that coin magic is astounding when done well however it doesn't mean more astounding than card magic. I feel the spectators react to magic more strongly if the effect involves around them. they would probably react more strongly to something like 'french kiss' than a simple coins across plot (unless the coins across uses the spectator). Coin magic is definitely harder (subjectively) and can be better than card magic sometimes but I think it all comes down to the performance of the magician. I do love watching good coin magic though.
I agree. I've seen both card and coin routines that have floored me, and both that have left me bored. It all comes down to the performance. One is not inherently better than the other.

Dec 28, 2017

I agree... BOTH are great FOR US... and that is the key word... Because, we as magic enthusiasts pay closer attention. Laypeople just do not keep their eyes on the hands to see enough. Their eyes always wonder, and for them it is hard to pay attention to card magic enough to be amazed. Some do, and they are amazed. But ot0hers simply find it difficult. And it is very frustrating when you perform an effect with cards that requires lots of practice and HAVE TO KEEP REMINDING THEM TO WATCH (keep looking)... I suspect that is why David Blaine keeps saying "Watch, watch, look" in almost every sentence, when performing on the streets...

Coin magic, is relatively easier to follow for them. When you tell them the coin is gonna vanish, they know where to look...
But coin magic is relatively harder than card magic. Even beginner coin tricks require way more grace than beginner card tricks. I mean, how many self working coin tricks do you know of?

But when performed correctly, coin magic is one of the best forms of conjuring

Reactions: Toby Langdon
Dec 29, 2017
Scotch and Soda or most C/S routines were about as easy as most beginner card tricks for me when I was a kid.

I have a feeling it’s more or less what you start with first because a lot of palms, retentions and transitions are going to feel awkward until you build the muscle memory and strength when it comes to coins. Cards of course require their own finesse too.

Just in my opinion though, most coin tricks aren’t as impactful as most card tricks to the average spectator. I’d say the main reason for that is because the spectator already has an idea(or likes to think they do) of how its being done for most non gimmicked coin tricks. This doesn’t change the appreciation of the technical skill however.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
...for them it is hard to pay attention to card magic enough to be amazed. Some do, and they are amazed. But ot0hers simply find it difficult. And it is very frustrating when you perform an effect with cards that requires lots of practice and HAVE TO KEEP REMINDING THEM TO WATCH (keep looking)...

Any magic trick standing by itself is not inherently interesting. It is up to the performer to make it interesting through their presentation. People pay attention to a performer, not a trick.

I suspect that is why David Blaine keeps saying "Watch, watch, look" in almost every sentence, when performing on the streets...

That is just his style. I wouldn't recommend imitating it unless you have a camera crew and are only going to show a percentage of what. you film.

Coin magic, is relatively easier to follow for them. When you tell them the coin is gonna vanish, they know where to look...

I would suggest avoiding say-do-see presentations where you say what you (or the prop) is going to do, do it and then ask the audience to see what happened. That presentation is adds nothing to the effect and if you are focused on what you are doing, the audience is going to focus on how you are doing it.

I mean, how many self working coin tricks do you know of?

A lot.

But when performed correctly, coin magic is one of the best forms of conjuring

So, this is important -- maybe the most important thing you can learn about magic. The props you use, the amount or difficulty of sleights, the types of gimmicks, whether a trick is impromptu, whether you end clean or whether the props are examinable DO NOT MATTER. What matters is how you perform the effect. I used to do a set of effects using the ball vase, drawer box and shrinking nickels that kids and adults loved (and were amazed by even though the props were standard kids magic kit props). Do a search for Adam Wilber's performance on Fool Us - same thing.

Beginning magicians tend to think that the right props and the right tricks are what are needed for good magic. Effects don't make good magic, good magicians make good magic.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results