Creating magic tricks

Aug 22, 2015
Good day, I'm new here but I have been studying and practicing magic for a long time (on-off 8 years).

My biggest passion is creating new sleights and tricks, with cards, coins and objects.

I don't belong to any magic society or group, because my only interest is creating/inventing and not perform for people (although the only times I perform is because I need to test my inventions)

Now, I don't know all the tricks and techniques that exists in the world, and is very possible that 75% of my creations already exists.

I want to publish videos of my magic (just the effect) under my name.

Let's suppose that I publish a video about a new sleight, but later I realize that the sleight was invented. ¿What should i do? I still want to have credit for my creation, should I make some slighly modification? Add a presentation? What do you recommend?

My idea is to publish them under my name, even it they were invented.

Thanks, greetings

Tower of Lunatic Meat

Elite Member
Sep 27, 2014
Texa$, with a dollar sign
Good on your for being ambitious and having that'engineer' mind.

First of all. DON'T make magic solely for profit. Make magic to promote and boost the art of magic. The need of the art first.

Second, research different literature that would pertain to your effect. Ask around and see what literature would even apply without 'tipping your hand' as much as you can. Unless you can find someone who can act as a confidante. There are some EXTREMELY knowledgeable people on these forums who can direct you to where you would need to go (Rev and Realityone come to mind)

I know you said that you're not in a magic group. It might be a good idea to become a part of one (IBM, SAM, etc), especially a local one if your idea is to engineer things. At least that way, you're within a group of magicians who may know what you don't know and you can get some very valuable feedback whether what you made has already been made, how to improve it, etc. Plus, if you're going to promote the art, it'd be a great idea to immerse yourself with the people who would potentially use your products.

I hope this helps in some capacity. Happy engineering!

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
Do as much homework as you can, then film yourself doing the sleight. Send the video to a trusted magician. There are many card experts out there that regularly field questions on originality. To help protect yourself, as you create, film your magic and upload it on you tube as private. If some one copies you, you can use your date stamp to prove your originality. In the man time, I'd be more than willing to check out a move or two if you'd like a second opinion on originality.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2015
Thanks for your answers, after thinking about it this is what I decided to do:

-I'm going to join a magicians community (a live, local community, not just a forum) so I can show my creations and receive feedback of whether they exist or not.

-On the other hand, I'm going to upload videos of my tricks/techniques, if one of them exists, I'm sure someone would tell me, then I will simply change the name of the video.

Thanks!

Reactions: Josh Burch
Do add much homework as you can, then film yourself doing the sleight. Send the video to a trusted magician. There are many card experts out there that regularly field questions on originality. To help protect yourself, as you create, film your magic and upload it on you tube as private. If some one copies you, you can use your date stamp to prove your originality. In the man time, I'd be more than willing to check out a move or two if you'd like a second opinion on originality.
You would be surprised at how much knowledge of magic tricks Josh Burch has. The man is a walking encyclopedia of magic.

Reactions: Josh Burch
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results