Cure for warped cards?

I found the thicker stock of Wynns and custom decks leave them more susseptable to maintaining a bend. For example, bend a piece of paper and it just flatens back out (unless you crease it) then get a piece of stiff cardboard and bend it, and it keeps its bend a lot easier. I find being gentle with them and keeping them in a shady place the best method. Also keeping dry hands to avoid weaking the cardboard is a great idea. I actually find taht washing my hands a lot before using cards shortens the life of the deck, because I'm always too impatient to fully dry my hands off properly. Water quickly warps cards, even a little bit. Dry hands is far more important than clean ones in my experiance. Might be because since I don't go playing in oil slicks, or digging up worms, my hands are usually pretty clean :p

Sep 16, 2007
texas
I've heard that the press is a great way to keep cards flat, but being lazy and being lousy at constructing things, I just use tons of books when I am in need of a press. This method works great for getting minor bends out of the pack, but suck at flattening warped cards.

I agree with the keeping hands dry, but a brown edged deck is just as bad in my opinion as a warped one.

Washing (and drying) your hands before you use them is a simple way to maintain a deck, the edges dont pick up as much gunk from your hands and your hands don't warp the cards.

Sep 2, 2007
A porper clip is differnt from another clip

Make sure it has a Joe Porper engravement on the side.

Warping is caused by heat , moisture, and use.

So find out what your doing wrong

Keep them in a cool DARK place away from sun and humidity.

Sep 1, 2007
on Theory11.
I used to have this problem. Buying a porper really solved my card warping problems for the most part, but if you're really desperate you can try putting together a card press and see if that helps keep your decks straight. You can buy one off the usual dealers for $25-$35, but I consider that kind of a waste, so I made my own.

Get to your local hardware store and buy 2 electrical box faceplaces. They look like this

http://www.electrical-supply.net/images/products/72C6.jpg

or something like it. Important part is that it have eyelets that you can put screws in at each corner.

Get 4 long screws that will fit those holes (flat tips preferred, no sense accidentally gouging yourself). Also get 4 nuts that will fit the screws, and 4 wingnuts that also fit the screws.

Take 1 of the faceplates, put the screws at the corners, and use the regular nuts to lock them in place. Then take the other faceplate, thread it onto the screws, and let it drop down onto the other plate (it won't lay flush of course, because of the nuts in the way). Then put a wingnut on each screw.

If you followed those instructions right, you should have something that functions not unlike this...
http://www.hanklee.org/xcart/product.php?productid=7156

Except with 4 screws instead of 2. And it will cost you about $5 instead of $30 (Okay, I spent about $8 on mine so I could have rubber feet on the bottom).

I made my press so that I could "align" a deck that was about half normal cards and half gaffed cards, since they were of a different batch, they tended to bow differently. Worked like a charm, just clamp them in for a day or so.

Ha ha. Wow. That second link was hardcore! Just put your cards in a vice... if that doesn't work, I don't know what to tell ya... Get Criss Angel to roll his Hummer over it.
My custom decks got bent and warped for a little bit, but I just left them in a closet for a while (months) and they're fine now. Let me tell you, when people say that the Porper clip is amazing, it's true. If you don't have one, get it. If you already have one, get another one.
Another option: Just play with 'em. Do shuffles, sleights, passes, dribbles, double lifts, fans, flourishes... eventually they'll straighten out.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results