Custom Printed Playing Cards

Aug 23, 2008
I am not entirely sure where this question would go, it seemed to fit in several categories, and while searching, I have yet to find a similar question (unless I'm really that dense).

I am a graphic design student and I am attempting to design my own playing cards (well the backs anyway). Does anyone know a reputable site that prints quality cards. And by quality I mean, comparable to standard Bicycles.

There seem to be a lot of sites out there but no indication as to the type of finishing it will be produced in.

Thanks in advance.

Sep 1, 2007
The USPCC makes bikes, bee, etc. They also make almost all of the custom decks you find on the internet (Theory11, Ellusionist, etc.). They do have a minimum order on decks though.

USPCC Website

Apr 15, 2008
Be aware of that when you print your own cards, the company printing them for you (i.e. USPC) usually require you to order large quantities. USPC's limit is 10.000 decks (or single decks, but expensive).

Personally, I don't think it's worth the money unless you want to sell decks, or use them for commercial matters (in this case, you'll probably want more than just design on the cards). 10.000 decks is more than Dan & Dave will use in a lifetime (maybe not, but still...).

Apr 28, 2008
Squ!rrel,
Do you even read other's replies? e.g. above yours...

I thought SorenErich's post was referring to the custom decks available for $20 each, the same link as in your post. I thought nobody had mentioned the larger quantities available at a lower price (100+). I guess I didn't read the link correctly, get over it.

rousselle

Elite Member
Aug 2, 2008
www.rousselle.com
Gemaco

Another major playing card manufacturer here in the US, Gemaco, sells custom printed decks in much lower quantities for a minimum order. I have my custom printed "business" cards printed by them.

(I go for the cheapest they have, because they are not intended to be used as playing decks so much as eye-catching calling cards.)

As you would expect, the higher quality cards (stock & finish) and the higher the degree of personalization (full color process vs foil stamp and full bleed vs small printable area, etc.) will also cost more money.

I order direct from Gemaco because my company is affiliated (loosely) with an organization to which Gemaco offers advantageous pricing, but if you don't happen to work for an ASI or SAGE affiliated company, you can still order decks from Gemaco through the kinds of redistributors where you would expect to be able to order custom coffee mugs, personalized pens, and the like.

Kardwell Int'l offers the full range of custom decks from Gemaco and Liberty and others, but I haven't looked into their pricing to see how good it is: http://www.customplayingcards.com/. I am not endorsing this site, I simply list it as a starting point for your search.

In my experience, the quality of Gemaco cards is pretty good (a little better than Liberty and on par with USPCC), although I prefer the court card designs of USPCC and Liberty over Gemaco. Your mileage may vary.

I hope this helps,

--Allan

PS: I'll look into the pricing on Kardwell's site, and if I can offer you a better price and still make a profit myself, I'll letcha know. If that's allowed. Is that allowed here?

Aug 23, 2008
stock vs finish....thats the problem i seem to be having - every site claims they print on the highest quality stock, but very few seems to make any reference to the type of finish.

to rouselle -

i've actually had the opportunity to visit that site - they apparently have made custom decks for jeff mcbride, and if that is any indication as to their quality, i'd say its a good start

*thanks for all the replies, really appreciate all the advice* :)

Sep 1, 2007
I don't think you can really argue that bicycle cards are certainly O.K.

Not up to Tally Ho standards though.

Sep 1, 2007
That is very true sir. Just wondering, what do you prefer to use?

Tally Ho's Q1, awesome cards, I love either back design too. I've recently tried pretty much all the common magician cards, and some not so common, and for me they are the best.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results